Grip Puppies vs ProGel grips

I tried the ProGel grips and they were alright. I currently have the Driven ($17) grips from Motomummy and they are great. I like them much better, but they are softer and I did mess them up with a Canyon Dancer strap.

Last edited:
I used to have the Grip Puppies but I did not like them. They made my thumbs hurt and the webbing between the thumb and palm sore. They are too thick in my opinion and I wear XL gloves. I have not tried others.

^^^ ...I'll have to now agree about the pups. They do make the grips quite large and I believe what they add in softness is negated by the diamiter and the hands tending to keep a tighter grip. I think the 'tighter grip' thing is relative, some people do and others don't, but unconsiously most of us start tightening up our grip while we ride, and catch ourselves as our hands or wrists numb or start to. I have them, but I think I'll try come gell jobs, as I removed the puppies for a couple rides and found 'some' relief. Well it's all experimenting the first fiew thousand miles.

I have not tried the grip puppies because I have small hands and I did not need the extra diameter added to the grip. I have the pro gel 719s and I love them. I waited about a year or more before I got them because I didn't know they would make such a huge difference.

With the stock grips sometimes my hands would go numb. I have not had that problem since installing the gel grips. I also used to get a pain between my thumb and forefinger, that too no longer happens.

If I ever get another motorcycle, gel grips and sliders (in that order) will be the first mod.

I have not tried the grip puppies because I have small hands and I did not need the extra diameter added to the grip. I have the pro gel 719s and I love them. I waited about a year or more before I got them because I didn't know they would make such a huge difference.

With the stock grips sometimes my hands would go numb. I have not had that problem since installing the gel grips. I also used to get a pain between my thumb and forefinger, that too no longer happens.

If I ever get another motorcycle, gel grips and sliders (in that order) will be the first mod.

Are these the grips you are talking about?

Pro Grip 719 RVGS Open End Gel Grip - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

I ask because they are listed as Pro Grip instead of Pro Gel like your post says.

Btw, I'm copying you. I just got the same adjustable Chinese levers that you have... :nana:

Wow! I put Grip Puppies on my FZ6 and they are a big help. I love them! I was going to order a set for my recently acquired FZ1 but these posts make me wonder if there are any reasons I shouldn't? My mitts are pretty large so maybe this is a factor. If size is not an issue, I wonder if both gel grips and grip puppies together would be better than either alone? Perhaps I should give both a try (together) and evaluate! More later....

Are these the grips you are talking about?

Pro Grip 719 RVGS Open End Gel Grip - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

I ask because they are listed as Pro Grip instead of Pro Gel like your post says.

Btw, I'm copying you. I just got the same adjustable Chinese levers that you have... :nana:

These are the softest ones of the bunch. I had the ones you originally linked to and I do not think they are much better than stock. I have them on my wife's bike and they are super comfy.

Pro Grip 699 Open End Sportbike Gel Grip - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

cj, those are the ones I was talking about. I guess I was typing too fast. To me they were a huge improvement over stock especially because I was ignorant when I bought them. I thought I was just getting something that looked good and never expected it to be such a dramatic change.

I agree the 699's are softer and I may try them when it's time to replace the 719s.

What about installation of new grips? My OEM's are very tight and I don't think I'll be able to get soapy water in there, so just cut them off?

i just installed the pro grips 699 i loved the but they slipped at the start of a long day riding had to stop and put some napkins under them for the ride

Back