GPS recommendations?

slyder1217

I'm very seriously considering getting a GPS specifically for the bike. I have a nuvi 205 and a little waterproof case that works ok as well as a Motorola Droid that works ok with Google Maps. The problem with the Droid is that if I'm listening to tunes while trying to run the GPS the Droid just doesn't have the processing muscle to do everything at once and do it well. My biggest complaint with BOTH of these units is the lack of capability to upload routes for navigation. To that end I'm looking at a Garmin Zumo. Most likely the Zumo 660. I've hear great things about the 550 but it's a bit pricey-er and I've heard the 660 is a very competent sibling. I've read webbikeworld.com's review of both but I was wondering if anyone here has any input? Is there another model out there that I'm missing? Here's what I'm looking for:

Waterproof
Ability to upload route files
Bluetooth connectivity

Beyond that it's all bonus. Thanks in advance!

My girlfriend bought me a Nuvi 265W for my birthday just a couple weeks ago (lucky me) and I have been playing with it off and on. For me, it's simple, quick and perfect for my needs, the Bluetooth feature is definitely useful, but I wish it had the ability to upload routes. I have found a way around this little issue by simply uploading all the major destinations on my planned route and mapping it out with the 'add as via point' feature. Seems to work quite well and although it's not quite as easy as just uploading a custom route straight to the unit, I think it will do the trick.

I highly recommend you avoid a waterproof unit simply because it's a waste of money. Why spend an extra 40-50% on a waterproof or motorcycle GPS when a Ziploc bag will do the same for a penny?

Last edited:
Just a side not from all the looking that I have done.
I had it in my head that I would go on Ebay and buy a unit for a few bucks and just keep it in my pocket. If i got rained out - hey - no big deal. But what I found was that for about $40 more dollars - I could buy a brand new unit and have some sort of guarantee that it would work (which is certainly not guaranteed when buying used).
LOL It is amazing how much prices have dropped in just a few years. I paid $1200 for a new Garmin 2610 Streetpilot in 05!!! Now I can't even get updates for the stupid thing!! LOL
I think you are on the right track to buy new and there will be a ton of sales coming up before Christmas.

Back