Gps attached to stock screen

fz1uk

I'm thinking of buying a zumo 220 gps and installing it on a ram mount that would be attached through some drilled holes on a spare stock windshield. I've played with the dimensions and worked out that this would have the unit out of the way of the clocks but also closer to eye line and perhaps a little more protected from bad weather by being tucked behind the screen. Has anyone done this and more importantly do you guys think the stock screen is strong enough to carry a gps? It seems pretty sturdy to me but just want a second opinion.
Cheers
Jon

I don't see a problem with the mount screwed into the windshield. They are pretty thick. I would however cut a piece of rubber, maybe from an old inner tube, to insert between the mount and the windshield, as well as some flat washers to spread out the point of contact with the windshield. You wouldn't want the heads of the bolts to crack the windshield. With the wind running off the front of the shield, I don't see it exerting any extra pressure on the unit. If you do decide to do it, please take some shots of the install so we all can see it. Good luck!

Thanks Billy, that sounds like the kind of advice and reassurance I was looking for - I'll make sure to do a photo install if and when I go this route. :D

I'm thinking of buying a zumo 220 gps and installing it on a ram mount that would be attached through some drilled holes on a spare stock windshield. I've played with the dimensions and worked out that this would have the unit out of the way of the clocks but also closer to eye line and perhaps a little more protected from bad weather by being tucked behind the screen. Has anyone done this and more importantly do you guys think the stock screen is strong enough to carry a gps? It seems pretty sturdy to me but just want a second opinion.
Cheers
Jon

I bought one of these for mine. It's a Powerlet http://www.powerlet.com/product/handlebar-outlet-also-mounts-gadgets/350 and it's designed to mount to your handlebar. It has a provision for a RAM ball mount. With the right RAM arm you can swivel your GPS arount to clear anything including a tank bag. I have my GPS sitting just above the clutch lever.

I almost forgot to mention that when your drilling Lexan, it's best to lay down masking tape first, then mark your holes onto the tape, and drill through the tape and not on the Lexan itself. This will keep the chances of cracking the windshield to a minimum.

just a thought , windscreens are designed to rip out in a collision . if you weaken it and it fractures , it could be a bad thing to have in front of you . just a thought
:thinking:

Well I've given it a go and its not too successful - although the windshield seems pretty sturdy and I've added a large aluminium plate to the front of the screen to help spread the weight - the vibrations in the screen seems to be magnified as it travels up the ram mount. I think it'll take going back to the drawing board or just going with a more conventional setup. I don't think the idea was too bad in theory but I hadn't factored in the vibrations! As for the placing of the gps...its really nice, doesn't obscure the displays at all and well protected! Ahwell!
:smokin2:

I think using a RAM mount on the bar will end up being a much more solid ount than the windshield. I'm not sure what is recommended as far as vibes go with the 220, but I've had a couple GPS units that didn't like a lot of vibration. One, a 330, ended up with the battery rattling around inside the case.

Cant you attach a long arm Ram mount from the frame under the clocks and place it higher than the clocks I have checked this myself but only a rough attempt and the steering does not seem to be hindered.

Well I kept the stock ram mount and actually its far better placed on the left hand side, next to the clutch and after riding with it I'm glad I didn't have it behind the windscreen after all. It's a lot easier to press buttons on the screen when they pop up or hitting the detour button when needed. My problem is now that the Garmin 220 sucks.. the cherry on the cake on my way home from Spain through France was when it navigated me to the Eurotunnel and thought it was in the middle of a field just outside Calais!! I was about to toss it when my gf reminded me how expensive it is...but I'll write up my experience of it in the product reviews - I certainly don't recommend it!

Back