GPS anyone?

Is anyone running a GPS unit installed on their bike? I have a new Garmin Montana, and Im planning to use it on battery in the top of my Tank bag until I get used to it. Eventually, I will buy or build a semi permanent mount for it. Anyone else done this with any success? Show me pictures.

Is anyone running a GPS unit installed on their bike? I have a new Garmin Montana, and Im planning to use it on battery in the top of my Tank bag until I get used to it. Eventually, I will buy or build a semi permanent mount for it. Anyone else done this with any success? Show me pictures.

I have a Garmin Montana 650t. I will post photos tomorrow.

I'm using a Garmin 2597 on a RAM mount with a power tap wired into the ignition switch so it powers off when I shut the engine. It's not waterproof but has survived several rainfalls because it's tucked in behind a touring windscreen.

Case (cheap and waterproof!): Arkon Handlebar Mount with Waterproof Case for 3.5" and 4.3" GPS The GPS Store

GPS: any Garmin (currently Nuvi 2455).

I've been using the above combination for ~7 years. It's seen hours of pouring rain.. never had an issue with it.

For charging, I have a 12v outlet under passenger seat. I route Garmin car charger under both seats and the tank (tank removal not required.. just tuck it under from the side) to the handlebar (the case has a nice grommet at the bottom for the wire pass-through).

I just got one and plan on mounting it on the handlebar. I was plan on getting a female cigarette lighter plug that is compatible with my trickle charger hook up.

Zumo 660 mounted via RAM mount bolt on one of the handlebar riser mounts, with powercable direct connected to battery (fused) .
Never had any powerproblems, although I tend to take the GPS with me when leaving the bike out of sight.

I tried using a phone which gets over heated quickly and needs internet. and car gps in water proof case which was impossible to see in the sun.

Ended up getting zumo 660. Comes with the ram mount plus all wiring.
It is basic and slow GPS but very sturdy and most importantly water & shock proof, which is what you need on board.
It gets connected via bluetooth to my scala rider so theres one less thing to worry about.

I don't use a dedicated GPS, but mounted my phone to the bars and set up a wireless charger on my Ram mount. Definitely recommend the Ram mounts for quality, durability and flexibility. I had an Arkon for a while until my phone worked itself loose and fell out on the road one day.

More about my setup here:
http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-mods/18337-wireless-charging.html#post153773

I use a secondary fuse block to distribute power to my aftermarket accessories. The nice thing about the model that I have is that it has two positions for each fuse, so I can have some stuff (e.g. tank bag) powered all the time and other stuff (e.g. heated grips) only powered when the bike is turned on.

How the heck did it fall out?? The case has a very tight zipper which goes all away around the perimeter.

The case I was using at the time pinched the sides of my phone in a ratcheting mechanism. The zipper version would have prevented it.

A fellow rider gave it to me, so it might be an instance of "you get what you pay for."

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

The case I was using at the time pinched the sides of my phone in a ratcheting mechanism. The zipper version would have prevented it.

A fellow rider gave it to me, so it might be an instance of "you get what you pay for."

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

Ah.. gotcha. As I mentioned, I've been using zippered Arkon version for many years. Never had an issue.

Vertical / Horizontal

Same GPS Unit, different bike, but wired install would be very similar using this;

It is the AMPS, Rugged mount by Garmin, with a few bits from RAM mounting systems. The web site for Ram is easy to find stuff on. RAM Motorcycle Mount

Link: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/sho...d-mount-with-audio-power-cable/prod89575.html

So, Oldschool, have you ever had any problem with that Garmin mount? I like the way the power cord works. Cleaner than the RAM mount powered job. Ever had the unit jump out of the bracket? Also, with the parts you have there, can you turn the unit vertical and horizontal? I like mine the tall way when there's room, e.g. When the tank bag isn't there.

No And Yes

I have never had the unit jump out, but I still use a tether looped around the mount. It does have a locking screw and a special key (which is just a small torx with a pin in the middle). I lost my key within the first week, but a hollow tip torx bit works as well. With the GPS in the vertical position, I usually hang my helmet over it when I stop somewhere. It holds it well and hides the GPS from prying eyes. I do take it in with me if the bike will be out of my sight.

As to turning the GPS on the mount, absolutely, in fact I found that I much prefer it in the vertical position. I had to go into the settings on the Montana and lock the screen in the vertical position (as opposed to "auto align") or it would jump around every time I leaned into a corner.

It's waterproof as well. :)

I'll probably pick up another of these mounts. Expensive but locks pretty securely so I don't have to take it off for lunch stops.
96B93E81-1615-420D-8C3D-13BDCB55FC07-93173-000010E5C540AFDB.jpg

Back