GPR Stabilizer: Install and Review

Looks good, had a GPR on my R6. I don't see them developing dampers for bikes that are no longer in production of course. VA, even if your bike is off by 2-3MM that's more than enough to require you having some parts CNC'd to make it work.

I was talking about the SV650 riser mod. They are about 1\" lower than then stock risers. I might have to switch back and then go with the SM bars to get the lower feel.

How much clearance is there between the GPR and the bottom of the riser?

I'll take a measurement after work and post it up. Seems to be a fair amount. I'll park a tape measure on the top triple and photo through it. It might fit.

Aaron, that looks like it can work with some modifications easily. With the tube frame, the stationary post would be the only concern. I think the device itself would mount to the SSN.

I'll take a measurement after work and post it up. Seems to be a fair amount. I'll park a tape measure on the top triple and photo through it. It might fit.

Thanx, I would appreciate that. I did my first trackday and had a blast, and I see more of them in the future. I just ordered some adjustable rearsets since I ground my pegs pretty bad, so I will have to wait a little bit for a damper.

Thanx, I would appreciate that. I did my first trackday and had a blast, and I see more of them in the future. I just ordered some adjustable rearsets since I ground my pegs pretty bad, so I will have to wait a little bit for a damper.

Crap! I forgot! I'll get a pic today but I promise to post something for you. I leave today though for a VT tour. If you don't see a shot by Sunday evening, PM to remind me please?

Measurements....

I remembered this time. :D Hope this helps.

attachment.php

attachment.php

After riding the VT tour this weekend, I've discovered just how much I like this GPR Stabilizer! I was able to work through a great deal of the dial adjustments in varying situations.

What this unit does is instill a great deal of confidence in your ability to drop into the corner and roll the throttle at the apex. After a hard roll on the throttle, the front, as we know, gets very light and lifts on its own. When doing this without the GPR installed, I sometimes had some unsettling wobble in the front when you touch down. This is due to a deviation of the front wheel when it contacts the pavement. It is in these situations that an improperly setup suspension and/or the forks raised too far in the triples causes one to have either a wobble or a tank slapper.

While I never felt the FZ1 would develop a tank slapper, it was evident that a few changes in the bike's dynamics would enhance that possibility. I do have the suspension somewhat dialed but the stock springs on the FZ1 are under sprung for a guy of my weight. I did what I could with what I had.

With the GPR installed, and with each successive run, I took the dial from 0 to the full 20 in two-click increments as I did not have time for 20 passes on a group ride. As expected, every two clicks produced a more stable landing and a more confident rider. I found that 20, full stabilization, was uncomfortable in the slower turns or where I did not have enough road before the next turn to run the bike out. Dialing back, the sweet spot for me was on the 14th click. This afforded me a very stable entry and exit for all types of corners and kept the front VERY stable when the front touched down after accelleration. :D Zero wobble! Anything above this setting for me was overkill, but it is nice to know that I have more dampening available as my skills increase or should I start track days.

For slow touring or city riding to include stop and go traffic, I also found that 0 wasn't to my liking. At times, the bike felt as if it wanted to turn side to side on its own. After several slow passes around an empty section of a parking lot, I found 5 to be ideal for slow or stop and go traffic. I was able to remain steady and balance the bike at extremely slow crawls without the feeling the bike wanted to wander.

I will post more ride reports as I am able to get out and test this in various situations. I may even get brave enough to bring the front up and make sure the front isn't tracking when it touches, nothing extreme or dangerous, just a few degrees out of straight (or where the bike is headed) and let it touch. With this unit, the front should immediately return to center with no wobble. However, I've ridden for years avoiding just that situation so it will take a very focused and conscious effort to willingly do that. :Rockon:

That is a lot of $$ for a steering damper considering Hyperpro can be had for $380 from motomummy which is a active damper too. Frankly this bike in stock form doesn't need a damper unless lowered in the front.

Hi,

Very interesting post, Thanks.

Just a quick question with respect to servicing- Can you remove just the stationary mount if you want to lift the tank? is there enough room to get it passed the damper rod once the stationary mount is unbolted? or do you have to unbolt the damper from the triple as well?

cheers,
PK

Very nice unit that isn't neccasary like it is on some sport bikes. They did a great job making the install easy if you have stock bar risers. I like it!

However (IMHO), on this bike your money is better spent on suspension and tires. I have my rear-end jacked up to the max with a Penske and the forks raised in the triple clamps and it has yet to shake or feel unstable and most of my video proves this as the camera is usually monted to the right bar clamp.

im 11 stone and my fz1 is putting 146 out if i gas it hard in the first 2-3 gears over cats eyes, choppy uneven surface,lets say over take i get a bit of head shake cats eyes,but my m8 has same fz1 and is a big boy no jokes here ,does not really get head shake ,but his bike is near stanndard,hes just popping it on dyno and should be the same power, power to weight thing may be! its more stable and totally sure footed with than depending on road and throttle with out,especially if you are a bit off put by a bit of head movment/nervous helps me relax faster i dont ride every day.

Back