GoPro kills batteries in one minute!

Rex D.

:ugh:I bought a standard GoPro (non-HD)in December and just got around to using it yesterday. Installed fresh Duracell AAA's to test it. I got a recording that lasted for about one minute and the screen went blank. I powered it up again and it recorded for several seconds then went blank. The batteries died. I got another fresh set and repeated the same, record for one min. then dead batts. So I tried another set and they also went dead. I pulled the batts. each time and they were warm. The instructions say it's best to use nimh rechargables or lithium. This camera seems to pull so many amps that I can't see any batts. working in this thing. Maybe a set of jumper cables will do the trick! Seriously, has anyone had this experience or is mine a bad one??

Hi Rex. First off, welcome to the forum. I also have the standard GoPro and while it didn't kill the batteries in a "minute", it would eat up regular alkaline batts in short order. I switched to "lithium" batteries and never had a problem again. These are the exact ones that I use...........

getimage.jpg

Now, while my GoPro ate up regular alkaline batteries, it never did it so quickly, and they never got real hot either. I would definitely have the unit checked first before making a call. There may be a legitament reason. In warm temps you can use Duracell AAA's and have them work fine however, in temps below 60 degrees, the Duracells won't stand a chance. Have the unit checked out first as I believe there may be a problem with it. Let us know what happens. Billy.

Sounds like a problem unit, or some short - have you checked the battery connections for corrosion? It shouldn't pull that much current anyway, and the batteries shouldn't get warm in a minute unless there is a serious short.

My short lived GoPro camera batts.

Okay, here are the amp readings on this camera. Powered up it pulls about .25 amps and in record mode I see .37 amps. These AAA's can't possibly handle close to 1/2 amp. That 'splains the quick death of my batts. I'll be taking it back to Cycle Gear for a replacement. They are really good about handling returns, with a smile.

Okay, here are the amp readings on this camera. Powered up it pulls about .25 amps and in record mode I see .37 amps. These AAA's can't possibly handle close to 1/2 amp. That 'splains the quick death of my batts. I'll be taking it back to Cycle Gear for a replacement. They are really good about handling returns, with a smile.

what would be really cool here is to teach those of us electronics-challenged folk how you take an amp-pulling reading... ;)

:nerd:

This is a decent vid that explains it rather well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrpmq2FCnqs&feature=related]YouTube - Read Amps using a multimeter[/ame]

Back