Good find for 07 FZ1?

Hi guys, getting back into the bike world after a 3 year hiatus and stumbled across this:

2007 FZ1, 4500 miles
$4900

It's in nice clean shape apart from some scratches from a driveway tip-over. So, not cosmetically perfect, but seems like a good price compared to others I've seen in the area.

My other option is buying a brand new 08 holdover at a dealership that's asking 6999 (plus nick-knack fees)

Thoughts?

It's a very decent deal. I just picked up a used '07 FZ1 with 7500 miles for $4500 which was the best deal by far I had seen in months. So $4900 with 4500 miles seems like an excellent deal as well.

I got my '07 this past October from a dealership and paid $5650 out the door. It had about 1500-1600 miles, came with a Corbin seat (and original) a Rifle touring screen (I don't care for it much, but I have the original too), aftermarket taller bars (no originals) and aftermarket footpegs (no rubber, nice, but I don't know how they really compare to stock).

I don't know if that helps, but I feel my deal was OK, not spectacular, but I don't think I got shafted either. I would suggest you look closely to make sure there are no cracks in the frame. How do the tires look? It may cost you about $200-$300 (maybe more) for new tires. Any mods you like? Is it bone stock.

I think you'll always loose out a little bit money wise buying a 'new' bike, but if you can afford it, there's nothing like knowing every mile the bike has seen.

What color options? (I've been told the cobalt blue are the fastest :))

As far as differences in '07 vs '08, there really aren't any besides color (as far as I know).

Wikipedia said this:

2007 revision

* Yamaha also softened the rear shock spring rated at 650 lb/in
* Fuel Injection updated. From 2007 onwards Yamaha solved the throttle snatch issue by slowing the rate at which the secondary flies were being opened.

2008 revision

* The 2008 model is technically unchanged from 2007.
* Only change for 2008 other than colors was golden rims.​

Here's a link to a thread from back in March 2010 talking about 2007 and 2008 FZ1's too...

I hope that helps, and I expect some pictures after you make a purchase! (you should enter the Bike of the Month competition too!)

Thanks so much guys. I have only seen pics so far but its an older rider who's been very open about the condition and took pretty revealing pics of the scratches. It's a ferry ride away so I'll probably purchase then and there if it passes the sniff test in person.

Bonus for me it *is Cobalt blue. I'm pretty jazzed at the idea of getting back out there again. My last ride was an 03 CBR 954 that was primarily a track tool and not too much fun for my wife to go for rides on. Plus now my kids are old enough to ride along so this is really my first step to a more domesticated machine without feeling like an old fart.

I'll report back with an update and pics in the next week or so.

Thanks again.

Edit: I believe it's bone stock with the exception of frame sliders.

Last edited:
Seems like a decent deal provided that the cosmetics suit you. I bought my 07 back in August of this year. Paid $5750, 7500 miles, PCIII, Akro slip on, Givi bags/rack, Puig touring screen, Corbin seat, New Pilot powers, and few other minor things were included. I am sorta fussy about cosmetics (if I am paying for them) but I am not at all opposed to finding a bike with cosmetic issues and painting/customizing.

Sounds pretty good and should work fine. Personally, I'd consider working with the dealer and trying to get the new one over a used one. Realize, the scratches on the Used bike will certainly reduce its desirability.

When you price out the parts, and then consider the new bike warranty on the 2008, I'd have to consider the 2008 real hard over the used 2007. Not to mention the Yamaha financing rate for 36 mos right now is only 3.99%. I'd consider putting down the $4,900 cash on the new bike and finance the $2,250 or so to pick up the new one, which will be perfect, newer, under full warranty (extendable within the first year if you decide to keep) and yours from the start.

Let us know what you think. Also, I continue to hold to the fact that the 2007 with the Retro Kit is the fastest out there!

Brian

Attachments

• Front Retro Close up.jpg
    Front Retro Close up.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 72
Brian, if I put the retro kit on my Cobalt Blue '07 will I look as good as you do taking that turn in your signature picture?

Thanks guys: I've attached the pics he sent me, as well as the original ad. Not trying to be too psycho about things but it's nice to hear how current owners would react to this opportunity.

Craigslist ad:

2007 Yamaha FZ-1 - Low Miles

Additional pics he sent me:

012hm.jpg

014lmf.jpg

013gc.jpg

014gv.jpg

edit: hmm, not sure why the photo links aren't showing up? Here are the URLs:

http://img810.imageshack.us/i/012hm.jpg
http://img690.imageshack.us/i/014lmf.jpg
http://img534.imageshack.us/i/016xv.jpg/
http://img211.imageshack.us/i/014gv.jpg

Last edited:
My only concern is the extent of damage? In other words, is it limited to what I can see? Plastic body parts can be very expensive so, I'd inspect to see there's no damage below the surface.
BTW, I purchased my '08 (new) in summer '09 for $7300. I'm glad I purchased it new, because I did use the factory warranty.

I recently purchased a 2007 Cobalt Blue with 1700 miles and absolutely showroom condition for 4800.00. It cost me $250.00 to get it transported to my home, so I'm into it for 5,050.00.

I would check into what the cost will be to repair the damage from the tip over, and negotiate accordingly. There are good deals out there, and winter time favors the buyer. I also like the idea suggested by another poster of puting the cash down on the new bike, as that's a pretty sweet deal as well.

Back