Gold flakes in my oil?

EffZeeOne

I did the first oil change a while back and noticed in the bottom of my drip pan, after I drained it, there were little gold flakes. Maybe 50 or so flakes that looked like they came out of Goldschlagger (if you know what that is :cloud9:).

Anyway, has anyone seen this? Possibly important - I used screwdriver to take off the original oil filter (by driving the screwdriver into the old filter). So, this stuff could have been metal shavings from the puncture, or filter media? It just seemed like too much debris to be that.

Last edited:
You're fine. The gold is bronze from the bushings and bearing within the motor, left over machining chips, and clutch plate material. It's part of the motor breaking in. That is why the first couple of oil changes are very important.

On a new motor I like to do changes at 50 miles, 200 miles and then 600 miles; then I follow the MFG suggested schedule. And change the filter with each oil change too.

Thanks for the post. I just did the 1st oil change on my bike at 600 miles and noticed the oil being a funny gold color Never really looked into it any further, just thought it was typical break in stuff. Did not see any big chunks.

Hey Hellgate. I always thought that manufacturers put an additive in the oils from the factory that should remain in engine until 1st recommended change. I was told that changing the oil too early would not allow for proper break in as the additive would be removed. Any thoughts?

Hey Hellgate. I always thought that manufacturers put an additive in the oils from the factory that should remain in engine until 1st recommended change. I was told that changing the oil too early would not allow for proper break in as the additive would be removed.

:tup: True dat...

Thanks for the post. I just did the 1st oil change on my bike at 600 miles and noticed the oil being a funny gold color Never really looked into it any further, just thought it was typical break in stuff. Did not see any big chunks.

Hey Hellgate. I always thought that manufacturers put an additive in the oils from the factory that should remain in engine until 1st recommended change. I was told that changing the oil too early would not allow for proper break in as the additive would be removed. Any thoughts?

I've heard that too but I wonder if it is more of a rumor on the street? Reason being I've not seen that specifically stated in an OM. I think they put 600 as the first change is to ensure people actually change their oil and don't forget about it.

Here's a good read on motor break in: Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

I read somewhere that some vehicle manufacturers add extra moly to the original factory fill. As for draining out any shavings left in the engine from the factory, the oil filter will remove anything large enough to be harmful that gets through the inlet strainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back