Going crazy!

RI_Grinch

ok I'm doing the seals on my forks and I've run into a snag. I can't get the bolt out of the bottom of the fork. I cracked it loose (or so I thought) while it was still on the bike. I took the forks off and started to strip it down. Right now im left with the rod running down the middle and the bolt in the bottom holding it in I'm assuming. I've tried holding the rod and giving the bolt a quick jolt with the wrench hoping that it was free up and spin out..No such luck. The bolt just seems to be spinning in place and not backing out....Any ideas??? :banghead:

I'm not sure if the info is on this site or not as I have only seen it on the FZ1OA site but it is out there it just might take some searching on both sites.

still no luck..for whatever reason I can't even get the tubes separated. I had to just put everything down and call it a night before I snapped. Going to have another go at it here in a bit.

ok sooo...while attempting to separate the tubes with the fork in my vice,I literally ripped the vice off the bench. My next thought is to heat up the fork and see if that helps. What do you guys think? Is this a good idea or not. Do you think it will cause any problems to the fork tubes?

I'm assuming you've already removed the dust cap, retention clip for the oil seal and then the oil seal before trying to separate?

yeah the dust cover and retaining clip are off..according to the clymer manual and other resources the seal should come out when you pull the tubes apart. This has become a pain in the ass project.

Joe, you are having the same issue that I had recently doing Ray's forks. He wound up going to a shop to have the tube separated. They used heat to separate them. The flat washer that sits below the oil seal was the culprit and luckily he had purchased new ones along with the new seals so they were replaced. It's telling me that either the forks were never serviced before, or the P.O. had someone botch up the installment when they did it. The tubes WILL separate buddy. It's just a matter of being patient and persistent. I wish I were closer to you. I'd run over and give you a helping hand. Two people separating them are better than one when you have this issue. I feel for ya pal. Let us know how it goes. Keep trying. Just be careful not to damage the inner tube.

yeah i was trying to have my son help pull the tubes apart with me but I was just dragging him around like a rag doll..LOL. being as I don't have a torch..im gonna stick it in the over and see if I can get it hot enough that way to get them apart. You know it's only about a 5 hour drive here Billy ;)

yeah i was trying to have my son help pull the tubes apart with me but I was just dragging him around like a rag doll..LOL. being as I don't have a torch..im gonna stick it in the over and see if I can get it hot enough that way to get them apart. You know it's only about a 5 hour drive here Billy ;)

2 hrs and 8 minutes north to the Busted Knuckle Garage! ;)

Back