gilles rear set problem

Hi.
Ive installed gilles rear sets on fz1n, i followd the instructions as best as poss, but the spring attached to the brake switch and the bottom of the brake lever, touchs at one point,the back of the set.
Is this ok , because i guess over time the metals will start eating into each other.
Are there any Gilles owners who have this same problem?
Thanks

Last edited:
Hey Apache.
Yes the spring could just touch the rear of the foot peg mounting. I reconfigured the spring (bent it very slightly:D) to avoid any potential contact. The spring has a very light action and therefore can be manipulated without fear of damage. Just one thing...I'm very fastideous about my kit especially expensive stuff like the Gilles rear sets....trouble is they are intended to be forever in harms way. They will pick up a degree of damage because of what they are and what they do. For instance, the anodised finish on the tips of my pegs has just worn through in two thousand miles of riding.

Ran into the same issue as well as another. I ran the spring in the same scenario as 7.62 by bending it.

I got my set used, and so probably a condition that is unique to me, but I had to install another spring to be able to get brake lever to retract consistently so that it would not leave the brake light on. I used a spring from the factory rearset and hooked it onto a stationary part and then onto the backside of the brake lever and it has work like a charm.

but I also have set all the way up/back and so part of my problem may lie in there b/c the previous owner may of had it in a lower position and stretched the spring ever so slightly that the original spring ceased to do its function......who knows

As for the finish, the only problem with mine is from the PO draggin' the pegs and scraping up the very ends -- hasn't bother me much, but I may replace them at a later date --

BroHay

Back