Gerbing Heated Gear Questions

There were two things I promised myself when I put my old motorcycle up for sale. Since it sold yesterday, I'm on the hunt for the following:
  • Arai Helmet
  • Gerbings
    heated jacket liner (dual temp control).

The helmet will probably be sourced locally. There is just too much variability to not go to a local dealer. Plus, my current helmet is showing a bit of wear and I'm interested in replacing it sooner rather than later.

The heated jacket liner is a lower priority. Daily temperatures around here are in the 80's (27C), and I've stripped everything out of my mesh riding jacket. I'm not interested in "cheaping out" on the liner, but if there is a time of year where Gerbing's stuff generally goes on sale, I can certainly wait a few months before purchasing it. I'm planning to go with the dual-temperature controller in the event that I want to expand later into another piece of heated gear.

I've checked several online retailers for Gerbings equipment, and the prices are very consistent. Does this stuff go "on sale" at the height of Summer (when demand is lowest), or possibly in the Fall when they're trying to appeal to those of us trying to extend our riding season? Thanks to a relatively mild Michigan winter, I rode quite a bit during the "cold" months, and I'd like to keep doing that if possible.

If you've read this far, I have one more question for those of you who have heated gear set up on your FZ1. My understanding is that the cord is on the left side, so I was thinking of putting a dedicated power port on the triangular piece of plastic where the seat lock is located (on my '08). Where are you mounting your power outlet?

I have never seen any Gerbing gear in a significant sale. Some places offer a minor discount but they are like Apple. This is the price, sorry! ;) BUT, it is also my understanding that they are the LL Bean of heated gear meaning, if anything goes wrong, they will absolutely stand behind their product. So please be sure to register your purchase with them. You'll never have to buy again.

I have seen people simply stuff a pigtail out from that same area but the port in the panel is a great idea. I've seen that as well. I think the dedicated port is the best choice. You could even go with a standard port like SAE and just get the Gerbing adapter, then use the port for a multitude of other things.

I use the Powerlet and Warm'n'safe gear. They go on sale at various times of the year and you may want to check mishacycles for good prices on powerlet. PM him and see what he can do for a fellow FZ1 rider.
Had to send gloves back for repairs once(powerlet not misha) and they replaced them no problem.
Cool that they have dual the wireless controller these days so we only have to run the one cord from bike to rider. I run the coax up in front, between the tank and the seat. Had it coming out by the left side panel but found it got in the way when moving around in the seat and was trickier to connect. Try a few ideas and see what works for you. Just think about getting on and off, when you want to plug in and how easy is it gonna be to plug in on a steep climb with nowhere to stop and the temps falling fast.
Also, make sure to put a cap on the open end when not in use, especially if you're going to run it constant hot off the battery.

After looking around a bit more, I'm not sure how much "surplus" power my FZ1 provides. Does anyone know this?

I currently power my phone charger (1A) and plan to add the Gerbing's jacket (6.4A). Heated grips are on the list too (4A). Altogether, I'm looking at <15A.

The heated gear would be switched with the ignition, but I'll keep the phone charger set up so that it is always on.

Hi there, I've received my gerbing heated liner + gloves+ dual controller. Said that, I just started to check in the forum where the best place to put the connectors is.
I've seen this thread but it hasn't had any posts for a long time.
Does anyone have new pictures of your installation? Also comment on your experience please. That will be great advice for me
Thanks Fer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up with heated grips and a Powerlet jacket (plus the phone charger). Completely worth the money, in my opinion. I'm still riding!

I installed a Voltage Monitor from Signal Dynamics that monitors the voltage. When I'm running everything (on high), I need to keep the RPMs up to keep the voltage in the green (over 12.9 volts). Probably somewhere in the 3500-4000 RPMs. The good news is that I can run the grips on low and the jacket on full and the RPMs only need to hit 1500 or so.

The attached picture shows what it looks like on the dash. I used a Fuze Block to help with the installation. The power cord for the jacket comes out on the left panel, where the key fits to unlock the pillion seat. It's just a flexible wire with the coax end for now. I like the location, but eventually I would like to get a hard mount and fit it into the panel itself.

After looking around a bit more, I'm not sure how much "surplus" power my FZ1 provides. Does anyone know this?

I currently power my phone charger (1A) and plan to add the Gerbing's jacket (6.4A). Heated grips are on the list too (4A). Altogether, I'm looking at <15A.

The heated gear would be switched with the ignition, but I'll keep the phone charger set up so that it is always on.

I regularly run my Gerbings heated jacket liner AND Gerbings gloves, using their dual controller, and often with both on high. I use their portable dual controller and just put it in my left jacket pocket where I can reach in and adjust. However, I DO monitor both my voltage and amp draw (more important) using a Kisan Technologies Charguard when I ride. Generally, I just turn the stuff off a few minutes before my destination to cancel the negative amps and all has been good. I do this both on my 2009 FZ6 and 2010 FZ1. The FZ6 left me stranded a couple years ago after using heated gear 3 days in a row and BEFORE I owned the Chargeguard. I don't recommend using much heating element on these bikes without a voltage meter.

Oh, and when my battery went dead I did not yet own a Battery Tender. Since then I did. I don't know whether the battery tender or my minding the amp draw and turning off the heat before my destination is the cure, but zero problems since then....

Back