General map question

bikerwayne

I've been studying the different map set-ups and have noticed that in the lower throttle settings they all seem to be leaner than stock. Why is this?

Do you mean they are set to 0 or low numbers? Any number above zero is richer than stock. ;)

The best thing you can do is get the bike tuned but a pro and make sure they have the equipment to sniff gasses while putting the bike through the dyno.

There are so many maps out there and too many IFs. What I mean by this is the likely hood of a map being exactly what you need is very low. Everyone who puts out a map will have a different set of modifications and even more importantly, live at a different elevation. To find a map that exactly fits your mods to the part number as well as the elevation you ride in would be a task in and of itself.

Then you have to stop and ask yourself, what type of rider are you? Is the bike for play only? All carving and track days? Is the bike a daily commuter or touring bike? Is is a commuter during the week and a carver on the weekends? Once you've determined what the bike's days are like on the street, now you can decide on how it should be tuned. Performance? MPG? Somewhere in the middle?

It is a lot to think about and a lot of questions to answer but in the end, you'll be much happier with the outcome when you have all the answers. :tup:

when tuning a fuely i would recomend an afr guage like aem or fjo to tell what is going on i use one on my snowmobile while tuning the rb3 fuel management mapp on it

Here is the trough that he is referring to that is very typical in an FZ1 map. I took most of that that out of the map I am running right now.

AW

Stage%201.jpg

Unfortunately I live on an island and we don't have a place that can dyno tune my bike. I always believed that these things were lean from the factory to meet emissions. Then we start mods and make it leaner so we install a PCIII (or similar product) to add fuel. Then I look at all the available maps and at idle and low RPM running they are leaner than stock. Seemed odd to me.

Basically I'm stuck with trying different maps until I find one I like.

Here is the trough that he is referring to that is very typical in an FZ1 map. I took most of that that out of the map I am running right now.

AW

Stage%201.jpg

I would say because you are never at 90% throttle at 1000 RPMs. And you do not need a ton of gas at idle or near idle. But I would expect it to be zero or higher once you get to 2000 RPM and higher throttle openings. 2000 - 3500 would be a good area to play with.

Last edited:
I don't know about all maps, but on the map I had from Ivan, there were a few spots that had negative numbers and they were around 1500 rpm and 20 or 40 per cent throttle. Seening how a positive number means a longer duration the injector is open, I would have to imagine that a negative number means the injector is open less time than stock. The only reason could be that it was felt by whoever built the map that the fueling was rich at that point and had to be leaned a bit.

I don't know why it's leaner than stock. However, I know that when I called DynoJet for advice, they told me their stock map for the PCV is leaner than fz1 stock. The tech was surprised this was the case.
With the PCV, I notice I no longer get the black soot I used to get on the tail pipe tip-from running rich, i'd image.
(BTW-I still use the stock exhaust)

Back