Gen1 In The Mountains

jnor

After a week in the West Virginia mountains on my FZ1, I think it might be one of the ultimate bikes for the mountains...I've ridden numerous bikes in the mountains, (Harley's, FJR, Versys, Hayabusa) the Gen1 FZ1 seems like the best, after numerous trips on them.

With 125 HP "rheostat" like throttle, no need for anything lower than 4th/5th gear even in 15mph corners. On my Versys I could have kept up, but would have been shifting constantly. Also plenty of ground clearance, I never dragged anything, while using up the whole tire. 50MPG gas mileage checking it a couple of times. Ability to haul a weeks worth of stuff with no problems. The lightweight makes the transition from right,to left, to right easy in tight esses. Also great at highway speeds, and comfortable for the trip home. The PR2 tires are awsome also, great even in rain

Glad you had a great ride. I remember when we were down in Deal's Gap, the only issue I had with the 01' was that once I got up over 5,500 to 6,000ft in elevation, she ran kind of crappy. The bike would sputter a little and backfire. Once we got back down from the higher elevations it was perfectly fine. I wonder if you felt the same thing??

Glad you had a great ride. I remember when we were down in Deal's Gap, the only issue I had with the 01' was that once I got up over 5,500 to 6,000ft in elevation, she ran kind of crappy. The bike would sputter a little and backfire. Once we got back down from the higher elevations it was perfectly fine. I wonder if you felt the same thing??

Nope...I've ridden a lot of miles on Gen1 FZ1's in the mountains, and never had that....

Nope...I've ridden a lot of miles on Gen1 FZ1's in the mountains, and never had that....

Same here, Skyway, Blue Ridge never a sniffle. Maybe your bike is used to that NYC air Billy. That clean stuff up in the mountains makes me act a little crazy too. Well that and the corn liquor. :tup:

Same here, Skyway, Blue Ridge never a sniffle. Maybe your bike is used to that NYC air Billy. That clean stuff up in the mountains makes me act a little crazy too. Well that and the corn liquor. :tup:

Could have been my imagination maybe. Do either of you have a jet kit installed? Here in NY I am only probably 5 or 6 hundred feet above sea level. I ride up on the mountain here which is at it's highest point, 1,293ft above sea level and I have no issues at all. It didn't happen until I was down south on the Cherohala passing the 6,000ft mark. It wasn't really terrible, but I did notice the difference.

Could have been my imagination maybe. Do either of you have a jet kit installed? Here in NY I am only probably 5 or 6 hundred feet above sea level. I ride up on the mountain here which is at it's highest point, 1,293ft above sea level and I have no issues at all. It didn't happen until I was down south on the Cherohala passing the 6,000ft mark. It wasn't really terrible, but I did notice the difference.

Mine is stock....no jetting, or any other mods.

When I live in BC had the same thing at high elevations, for sure was jetting. No different than a carb'd sled. Bike is jetted for 3000ft (Calgary), once in some of the passes were your riding at 6000 to 7000 ft it makes a difference.
Now that I am back in Winnipeg which is at 500ft I am running a bit rich but that is ok rather be on the rich side than lean.

When I live in BC had the same thing at high elevations, for sure was jetting. No different than a carb'd sled. Bike is jetted for 3000ft (Calgary), once in some of the passes were your riding at 6000 to 7000 ft it makes a difference.
Now that I am back in Winnipeg which is at 500ft I am running a bit rich but that is ok rather be on the rich side than lean.

Yea, on a carburated bike you'll definitely feel those drastic changes in elevation. One of the things I love about my Gen II is perfect throttle response no matter the temperature or elevation. The joys of FI :)

Back