gen1 airbox mod?

hankhill11

i have been searching on and off for quite a while, and i see 'airbox mod' under peoples mod lists.

i just ordered a K&N filter and am getting ready to put a full exhaust on my 2005. I feel like an airbox mod would be a nice addition to all this. I know i did the Fog airbox mod on my old ninja, is there a thread for this on the board? see a lot of people list it, but cant find what it is or how to do it. any help would be nice. thanks

I looked around, but other than removing the AIS system and plugging the airbox, I don't see any other mods for it. VArider did a mod I believe on his airbox. I'm sure he, or someone else will post up soon. Check back.

i have been searching on and off for quite a while, and i see 'airbox mod' under peoples mod lists.

i just ordered a K&N filter and am getting ready to put a full exhaust on my 2005. I feel like an airbox mod would be a nice addition to all this. I know i did the Fog airbox mod on my old ninja, is there a thread for this on the board? see a lot of people list it, but cant find what it is or how to do it. any help would be nice. thanks

The airbox mod that you see listed in the mods are generally for Gen II bikes. On the Gen I bikes there doesn't seem to be much power to be gained by modifying the aibox...at least that's what I have seen.

On Gen 1's you can get a nice punch of power from a little airbox modification...drill a 1" hole in the top of the airbox lid, directly above the "snorkel" ... then cut off the half of the snorkel pointing at the carbs.

I'd recommend doing this if you're already jetted, and your intake boots are ported.

Like so:

Finaly ! i knew it was something like that. Similar to the Fog Mod on the EX500.. one inch hole in the air box.

on the ol ninja it smoothed things out. didn't really 'boost' anything, but it also cleared up a noticeable bump in the revs.

thanks all for the help and pics

Finaly ! i knew it was something like that. Similar to the Fog Mod on the EX500.. one inch hole in the air box.

on the ol ninja it smoothed things out. didn't really 'boost' anything, but it also cleared up a noticeable bump in the revs.

thanks all for the help and pics. can't wait to get my exhaust and everything set up and tuned.

is it wise to do this without rejetting the carbs?

i have a holeshot kit that i will put in in a few months, but can i do this part of the job without touching the carbs.

i also have a k n air filter here but holeshot says to stick with the stock filter after the conversion.

would riding with a k n filter and inch hole drilled make the bike run too lean?

is it wise to do this without rejetting the carbs?

i have a holeshot kit that i will put in in a few months, but can i do this part of the job without touching the carbs.

i also have a k n air filter here but holeshot says to stick with the stock filter after the conversion.

would riding with a k n filter and inch hole drilled make the bike run too lean?

No. Do not do this without jetting the carbs. If you increase air by itself, yes, you will be too lean.

Like any other fuel related mod, like a jet kit, it's not simply drill a hole, cut the snorkel, and you're good to go... There is a little bit of tuning you have to do to make sure that you're running in the correct range... A simple matter of pulling a spark plug every once in a while to verify proper mixture...

good question Premiers.. i had a follow up along those lines actually..
if i install my new slip on today, would it be so terrible for the bike that it will do damage or run so crappy that i wouldn't be able to ride around? how about the airbox mod + the slip on.

I will be putting in the headers and timing advancer soon, but at the moment, dont want to go and pay for tuning til i get the rest of this stuff in.

good question Premiers.. i had a follow up along those lines actually..
if i install my new slip on today, would it be so terrible for the bike that it will do damage or run so crappy that i wouldn't be able to ride around? how about the airbox mod + the slip on.

I will be putting in the headers and timing advancer soon, but at the moment, dont want to go and pay for tuning til i get the rest of this stuff in.

A slip-on alone is not going to drastically affect the bike so you'll be fine...

No. Do not do this without jetting the carbs. If you increase air by itself, yes, you will be too lean.

Like any other fuel related mod, like a jet kit, it's not simply drill a hole, cut the snorkel, and you're good to go... There is a little bit of tuning you have to do to make sure that you're running in the correct range... A simple matter of pulling a spark plug every once in a while to verify proper mixture...
What Jet size did you end up going with the modification you did with the air box?

Back