Gen I's owner's perspective of a Gen II

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
So, went to the stealer yesterday to look for another pair of gloves b/c the icon's just aren't cutting it these days....and lo and behold, there was an '07 Raven Gen II for me to look at....

I studied it and though the bike was quite nice -- corbin/arkpovic -- I through the leg over and it quickly went south.....

I'm going to go test ride it this weekend -- but the stock ergos for a 6'2" frame was not very forgiving -- I also want to take a look at the suspension, just for a more informed opinion of stock vs. upgraded (Gen I)

I have not experienced a great deal of bikes to have an educated opinion of what works/does not work for me -- and consider this part of my studies.

However, when I was a newbie and I threw my leg over the Gen I, I knew right then and there that this was the bike for me -- not so same feeling with the Gen II...

debate commence...:box:

Adam

Last edited:
My son sat on a GenII and liked it alot. I haven't had the chance although I did sit on an R6 and liked what I was feeling. Granted, it was sitting in the showroom but I could see myself zipping around on some quick sprints as a second bike.

Well, it its a totally redesigned bike so there isn't a comparison to be made other than the motor itself. All the parts bolted to the core motor are very different and I can see why you'd have a vastly different opinion of the GEN II.

Keep in mind that if you are test driving an already modded GEN II, that the previous owner has done one of two things. 1. They have set the bike up for their size, stature and riding skills or 2. They have COMPLETELY missed the setup and the bike will scare the daylights out of you because it handles so poorly. With that said, I wouldn't base a first impression on anything other than a new stock ride. Take with you that one grain of salt when you actually start and ride a modded bike.

It's all personal choice Adam. It's entirely up to you whether you like it or not and nothing we can say can change your opinion. :D

I CAN tell you that I always thought my '08 FZ6 was THE only bike for me and I'd own it until it wouldn't move any longer. But, after one year, I traded it for the FZ1 and do not regret that decision in the least. Even though the FZ1 had some quirks that I did not like, I knew they were things I could change to suit my personal taste and riding style.

No matter which model you're on though, know you're on the best Japanese bike made. :D

well, I know that I can test ride more easily at the stealer I made my original purchase on as opposed to going to the yamaha dealer across town.

slip-on and seat were the only mods --

I'll know more after peeking around tomorrow.

I could not look in peace/study b/c some kid on the sales floor heard me comment on the ergos. He tried to get me to look at a ZX-14 and his comment to that "once you get it going, I can make it do whatever/whenever like I'm riding 600" ...umm okay not going to have you drive me around when I go to ride....

that is why I'm going for a test ride -- to be able to make a better/informed opinion besides just coming right out of the gates saying "hell no, we won't go!!"

slip-on and seat were the only mods --

That you can see anyway..... ;) You won't see suspension mods easily nor if the compression and rebound are out of sorts. You can check the pre-load... look at the setting on the rear shock (Default is 3) as well as tell us how many rinds are showing on top of the fork caps. (Default is 4.5).

You cannot see the LARS, AIS Block-off, CAT gutted, etc... Stock air filter or not?

There were a lot of mods on my FZ6 when I traded it that I had to tell the new owner about. Actually, I told him everything about it before he went to the dealer to make an offer. Thus, I sold my old bike FOR the dealer. But, I already told the new owner what he needed to change to suit his smaller stature. ;)

Just saying..... it isn't stock so keep an open mind, that's all. ;)

Well, it its a totally redesigned bike so there isn't a comparison to be made other than the motor itself. All the parts bolted to the core motor are very different and I can see why you'd have a vastly different opinion of the GEN II.

Keep in mind that if you are test driving an already modded GEN II, that the previous owner has done one of two things. 1. They have set the bike up for their size, stature and riding skills or 2. They have COMPLETELY missed the setup and the bike will scare the daylights out of you because it handles so poorly. With that said, I wouldn't base a first impression on anything other than a new stock ride. Take with you that one grain of salt when you actually start and ride a modded bike.

It's all personal choice Adam. It's entirely up to you whether you like it or not and nothing we can say can change your opinion. :D

I CAN tell you that I always thought my '08 FZ6 was THE only bike for me and I'd own it until it wouldn't move any longer. But, after one year, I traded it for the FZ1 and do not regret that decision in the least. Even though the FZ1 had some quirks that I did not like, I knew they were things I could change to suit my personal taste and riding style.

No matter which model you're on though, know you're on the best Japanese bike made. :D

I agree completely, I bought an 09 FZ1 and modified the handlebars, foot pegs, windscreen, etc. I'm 6'2" and weigh around 250 lbs so for me I modified the bike to my own "feel". This bike is quick, fun, and is extremely agile.

I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs w/o gear. Having owned nothing but sport bikes before the FZ1, I wasn't sure what to expect. It was weird at first getting used to the more upright sitting position, but never having even sat on a Gen I I can't offer any direct comparisons. And it's probably better not too. As Eric stated before they are two different bikes. I would say overall the Gen II FZ1 is a pretty good fit for my size. Best thing to do is take it for a ride and then decide...

Hi Adam, I owned a Gen 1 for four years covering close to 37 k in that time whilst pleasure riding including two French trips.
Then in March this year I changed to a Gen 2 hopeful that I wouldn't be disappointed in so much that it would have to be extremely good to match up and compare with the Gen 1. But as it's already been said, they are two entirely different bikes and the same by name only. My perspective of the Gen 2 is that it's not as much of an armchair but it's more sporty with better steering and suspension compared to the Gen 1.
My Gen 1 had the Ivanizing work carried out on the carbs and I also fitted a 3degree ignition advancer and a scorpion can, the result was that it had mid range power capable of out accelerating one or two very surprised R1 owners.
With all the emission controls by comparison my Gen 2 has been lacking in the smooth progressive power untill you start reaching the higher rev range, but today I fitted an FCE unit and it has appeared to have sorted things out.
It's got to be said that both bikes have their own strengths and weaknesses but overall I am warming more and more to my Gen2 and accept that things move on.

Bert - thecert.:cheers:

Just a question...would you actually/do you have the ability to PURCHASE this motorcycle right then and there if you liked it?

Straight up cash, no. Financing with trade in, yes.

This is not a gotta to find a bike, more of a test ride to get an initial thought of comparing the two. Knowing full well the test ride will not be substantial enough for an equal comparison.

As I mentioned before, this is more of a "what if discovery" vs a bash on the Gen II. Lemme ride tomorrow and I'll give a better report this weekend

Last edited:
the reason for no update is b/c when I went to the stealer, the bike was already out on a test ride and I have not gone back to see if that test ride resulted in a sale....

Adam

I'm 5'8 and ride the Gen II, I have no issues with it really aside from having to stand on the balls of my feet. I love this bike!

Don't forget, the GEN II is easily (and cheaply) lowered by purchasing and installing longer links. It is a very simple process that can be done on the center stand. ;) No need to not flatfoot this bike because of a shorter inseam. :D Looks like a 2" drop can be done for less than $100.00.

well, another Gen II came into my local dealer -- similar to the previous one but only had 5340 miles and was an '07 as well.

Had been laid down on the right side -- but had a corbin seat with a schweet sounding Arkpovic exhaust.

I took it out for about a 4.5 mile run -- in the immediate area and was fairly impressed.

stock gearing but it ran like a bat outta hell. Throttle was smooth and soo was the shifting (especially the shifting compared to the Gen I -- need to revist it to make sure that I've got everything inline on my bike).

If I was looking for a bike, I'd have to say that I would give definite consideration to it....I could see myself growing to love the bike and going even more in debt with tweaking it to push the evenlope....

I haven't not read any of the previous posts to keep this initial response unbiased.....now I'll go re-read to refresh the old noggin....

:tup: for the Gen II from a Gen I perspective...

Adam

but, if I try to equal what I've been able to do for the Gen I, I don't even want to comtemplate the pricetag on those mods for the Gen II

Back