gen II front sprocket removal

# two

I know i saw a how to post on this earlier but can not find it now. I've got the 36 mm socket a good sized breaker bar and my neighbor holding both brakes, but no luck. Do i need an impact wrench or is this a reverse thread or both? Please help, very frustrated, thanks

What I do is to insert a pipe covered with a few rags (to prevent marking) in between the swing-arm and the wheel, then crank away. If that doesn't work then nothing will.

we used a 4' pipe over the ratchet. I supported the bike and applied the rear brake. My assistant handled the breaker bar. It did take some effort, and did bend the pipe slightly, but came off without issue.

I know i saw a how to post on this earlier but can not find it now. I've got the 36 mm socket a good sized breaker bar and my neighbor holding both brakes, but no luck. Do i need an impact wrench or is this a reverse thread or both? Please help, very frustrated, thanks

The threads are not reversed and yes an impact gun will make the job super easy. That's what I used when I did mine and it was a half hour job at most.

I had my step dad sit on the bike, the trans was in neutral as I didnt want any pressure on the gears inside it trying to crank over the engine. My breaker bar is about 20" long, and I just put that to my 36MM socket and had him hold the brakes. I was able to just do one nice swift upward pull with one hand on the end of the breaker bar and the other near the socket so it didnt come off the nut and it just cracked loose. Same deal with tightening it, he sat on it and held the brakes so the bike didnt move.

Last edited:
Which method did you use?

As a matter of fact I went with your suggestion, using a piece of fence post inside the sleeve of my jacket and a breaker bar and bobs your uncle, it took me longer to remember how to reset the speedohealer. Under an hour in all. Thanks again.

Back