Gen II Front End Wobble

Well checked tire psi last night, and front was a tad low (36 psi, max tire recommends is 42) and I filled it to exactly 42. I also removed the side bags, my tail is always on, and this morning it wasn't there. I definitely think that it is a combination of extra weight and tire probably wearing out. Guess I will not know for sure until next season when I get new rubber

Well checked tire psi last night, and front was a tad low (36 psi, max tire recommends is 42) and I filled it to exactly 42. I also removed the side bags, my tail is always on, and this morning it wasn't there. I definitely think that it is a combination of extra weight and tire probably wearing out. Guess I will not know for sure until next season when I get new rubber

42 psi might be the max pressure, but I don't see the need to run such a high pressure on the front unless you're carrying the max weight the bike can handle. I usually run 34-36 psi in the front...

Same... I run 36 front and 42 rear for daily riding/commuting. Anything over means the bike is loaded down for a long haul. :D

Maybe ill lower the front pressure than. This really was to try to find the culprit of the cause.

Any reason for not running full (or near full) psi on a bike tire?

The sticker on my '08 says 36 front, 42 rear - that's what I run in my tires on the street. I talked to the "Michelin Man" at a track day this summer and he had me lower them to 33/38, if I recall correctly. Lower pressure will give you a bit larger contact patch. Higher pressure is slightly better mileage, but decreases the patch.

if I recall correctly. Lower pressure will give you a bit larger contact patch. Higher pressure is slightly better mileage, but decreases the patch.

Makes sense, just wonder about tire roll from the force on it, but thinking about it...... it wouldn't roll but create a larger patch.

hmmmmm, guess no matter what I just need new rubber :ugh:

Ive had my eye on a set of Q3 anyways

I don't think anyone has mentioned the steering head bearings. A loose or notchy head bearing can cause the sensation the OP describes. I had this wobble and weave with the 919 this year as a result of a notchy bearing that took a small impact. Ever so slight but noticeably annoying for a sensitive rider (read: paranoid) like myself

I got some battleaxes bridgestone this spring.

Which ones? There are many under the Battlax moniker

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has mentioned the steering head bearings.

I was thinking that, but it don't did it when I had the side bags on and just me on the bike, not the wife. When we both were on with side bags it was just fine. I would think steering head bearings would be a constant.

It also is just fine with me only on the bike and no side bags.

I can say that my wobbles were more pronounced with weight in my rear hard case like when I would be out on tour. Bikes can be finicky things so perhaps it's worth looking into.

I say the front tire is OUT-OF-BALANCE.

Another possibility might be a small ply separation caused by hitting a bad spot in the road. Could be the very beginning of the tire developing a knot or lump. Try raising the front tire off the floor and spinning it, looking carefully for high spots or uneven wear.

Also, the rear tire can cause the front to wobble if it is bad enough, either out-of-balance, or something going bad with the tire such as mentioned above.

My first bet is the balance of the tire.

Back