Gen I with R1 Radial Brake Master?

One of my big complaints about my Gen I is the mushy brake feel. Even after replacing the rubber/plastic stock brake lines and bleeding the thing till the cows come home, the lever feel is still a bit...mushy. The pads seem fine as well. I guess I'm spoiled by the Brembo radial monoblocks on my other bike, but it's a bit odd to change my braking style from 1 or 2 fingers to 4 fingers when switching bikes.

Question: I've seen a few references on the forum to replacing the stock coffin-style master cylinder with radials from the R1, and I'm wondering (A) whether this generally improves lever feel and (B) which generation of R1 master cylinders generally work with the brake system from a Gen1 FZ1? There are plenty of them on eBay, but I want to buy the right one the first time out instead of experimenting.

Many thanks for any advice and guidance you can offer!
:icon_beer:

Pad Compound?

I typically use 1 or 2 fingers on the brake lever to avoid locking the front wheel. Sounds like the Coefficient of Friction of the brake pads must be pretty low. Some high performance compounds need to be hot to work properly, maybe that's what you have.

I typically use 1 or 2 fingers on the brake lever to avoid locking the front wheel. Sounds like the Coefficient of Friction of the brake pads must be pretty low. Some high performance compounds need to be hot to work properly, maybe that's what you have.

I wondered about that as well, but I never notice much difference after riding the brakes hard for a while. It may be a matter of lever position too.

Sweet, I'll look for an 06. Mounting the reservoir shouldn't be an issue- I have convertibars and they come with a mount that I didn't use stock. I'll just dig out the packaging and call it good.

What is the use of the top bleed nipple?

Alright, one more question- do you know the bore on your 06? I've been sucked down the master cylinder rabbit hole and am looking at brembo aftermarket units. I'm thinking a 16x20 would probably fit the bill, but wanted to make sure that's in the ballpark.

Alright, one more question- do you know the bore on your 06? I've been sucked down the master cylinder rabbit hole and am looking at brembo aftermarket units. I'm thinking a 16x20 would probably fit the bill, but wanted to make sure that's in the ballpark.

I don't know the specs, I just know that it works better then stock. I had a used one on hand, so I installed it. I thought that If I didn't like it I could go back to the old one. I like it and it looks cool too.

Back