Gen I vs GenII.

drmgillan

Forum preference:
Which is the best? State reasons, pro and cons.
Question came to mind when my bro said that the gen I is better, faster, but I'm a gen II owner so guess u guys understand my bias, anyone has owned both.

Forum preference:
Which is the best? State reasons, pro and cons.
Question came to mind when my bro said that the gen I is better, faster, but I'm a gen II owner so guess u guys understand my bias, anyone has owned both.

They're different machines I think.

I liked my Gen 1 because I could load it up and go touring all day in comfort. An easy 200 miles between fuel ups, comfy seat and less aggressive position, long gearing and so on. I liked it.

I wouldn't pose next to it at the local Starbucks though; uuugly

Well it depends on what you want. GenII is fuel injected and is more aggressive riding oriented. The GenI is probably easier to setup for touring and has a bigger gas tank. I am not so sure a GenI could take a GenII on the track. It probably is down to rider preference and driving habits.

This is kind of a "dead horse" thing as stated above.

But then, if you aren't informed...you don't know...

I had my '01 since they first came out. I loved it, it gave me 40K great miles. They are relatively comfy, but it would definitely be time to get off of it by the time the tank was empty (~200 miles). The mileage is WAY better on the GenI's...I usually got 42-45mpg without trying to be in "eco-mode" with the right wrist. Gotten over 50mpg on trips, and some tanks were under the 40mpg mark if I was in one of those moods for that long. I never had trouble with it...until I started thinking I wanted to trade up (different story). Some people are kind of "nostalgic", and like the carbs...others are for modernization.

I wouldn't say the GenII is down on power, according to the mags they have a couple hp less, but that can be easily remedied (power commander, and other common mods to extract more hp from it...and it IS IN that engine!) To me it feels as fast if not a bit quicker....but that could be the digital speedo. The new ones don't get the mileage like the 1st-Gen bikes do, I have been averaging 34-ish mpg in 3K+ miles. Comfort level is about the same with the stock seat as the GenI...it is time to unflatten the ass after a tank, which is more like 140-150 miles now, due to the smaller tank on the new ones.

Looks are subjective...some like old better than new, and vice-versa. I think both have their ups and downs. I'm not a big fan of the little slit in the windscreen on the new gen, which lets more dirt and dust up along the inside (where I can only reach by removing the F-ing thing!). The old one looked like it was trying to please everyone...sporty, touring, everyday, commuter...instead of just making it's own statement. Yamaha's colors on the new ones are nice...but I like my gear to go along, and the dark blue doesn't flow with all my medium blue gear...

Your brother is just jealous...because he KNOWS yours is faster, and it can get WAY faster than what it is now with a little work that he cannot equal.

They are both Yamaha so why question it? ;)

Pete, blue is STILL faster and you should have stuck with it... Now you're always lagging and holding up the group! :yes:

If you fall on the sport side of touring go with a gen2 if you fall on the touring side of sport touring go with the Gen1. They ate both fantastic motorcycles. Regardless of color mine is the fastest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you fall on the sport side of touring go with a gen2 if you fall on the touring side of sport touring go with the Gen1. They ate both fantastic motorcycles. Regardless of color mine is the fastest.

Must be 'cause of that Magical Racing screen with some sort of "super secret out of this world" coating :poke:

Back