GEN I Open Carb Ports

skooter65

There are two ports entering the top of the Carbs that were left open by one of the previous owners (See photo below). Could anyone tell me why this would be done and if there are any problems/implications with having these open for an unknown period of time? I would imagine that there is potential for water & debris ingress but unfamiliar with further issues.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

CarbTube.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think those have anything to do with the AIS system. Appears to be some sort of breather for the carbs and the thing on the end of the hose (#65 in attached diagram) might be a one way valve so you may want to replace it to avoid any potential issues down the road.

attachment.php

That's not part of the AIS... That's one of the carb vents...

carbventhoseleft.jpg
Thank you for the head-up. I just looked at the parts fiche (which I should have done beforehand) and saw that they are merely vent hoses. My Bad...Newbie to the FZ1 :)

I don't think those have anything to do with the AIS system. Appears to be some sort of breather for the carbs and the thing on the end of the hose (#65 in attached diagram) might be a one way valve so you may want to replace it to avoid any potential issues down the road.

attachment.php

I just ordered the replacements! Even if there is not a one-way valve, the output of the hose is "downward" which I think will help prevent anyting from entering.

Thank you both for the responses!!

I just ordered the replacements! Even if there is not a one-way valve, the output of the hose is "downward" which I think will help prevent anything from entering.

Thank you both for the responses!!

I found it odd that the valve isn't listed separately, but I have the feeling that it's part of the hose assembly. And by the way the ends of those valves don't connect to anything. Yamaha used that setup for quite a while. My 97 YZF1000 has the same exact vents and valves.

I found it odd that the valve isn't listed separately, but I have the feeling that it's part of the hose assembly. And by the way the ends of those valves don't connect to anything. Yamaha used that setup for quite a while. My 97 YZF1000 has the same exact vents and valves.

It looks like you can see the valve in the fiche too; Probably an assembly process that makes it easier for them to sell it as one piece.

Hey Skooter! Congrats on the bike man. That was a friggin great deal. Did you get her running yet?? Make sure you post up some pics of the build as you go along.

Thank you Sir! It was going to be a "winter" project; "going to be" the operative phrase. Sadly, I am impatient and have already started tearing it apart and ordering new bits.

First steps: Refresh all fluids, change all filters, clean/sync the carbs, and clean-up some wiring.

It runs right now...just not well. Tidying this couldn't hurt ;) :

08-28-2011011.jpg

Back