gen 2 gps mounting options

I installed Rizoma conical riser bars with their 40mm risers and made a GPS bracket from a mountain bike handle bar bracket (upside down) to bolt the TomTom GPS mount to.

pic below of the bracket without GPS attached.

dicko-albums-dicko-s-fz1n-progression-picture3648-rizoma-brake-fluid-reservoir-r1-brembo-lever.jpg

I just got a RAM mount and the housing for the GPS I'm using and stuck it on the left side of the bar in a position that doesn't block the gauge panel.

This is my third housing as RAM makes a housing specific for each model of Garmin GPS. My Garmin failed from the factory and Garmin replaced it with a newer, better version so the old hosing didn't fit and I needed a new one. If I tried to make a custom install then it may have needed to be remade to fit the new GPS profile. My third housing is for the GPS in my car.

I couldn't get the Ram mount to go low enough and it looked tacky, it also wasn't secure, anyone could undo it and that made me nervous. My mount needs to undo 4 hex head screws to get it off, nd they're hidden underneath.

To adjust my mount for a new GPS is easy to do, just drill 4 new holes in my adaptor plates for the new mount.

I use RAM ball mounts and housings as well. They're cost effective, well made and dead easy to transfer from bike to bike to bike without having to spend a lot of money

Here's the mounting location I'm using for the VFR:
1374826_437728813006212_1061345181_n.jpg

And the mounting location I used on the 919:
545982_355127261266368_1631489594_n.jpg

I prefer the TomTom rider pro over the Garmin, but that is just my personal preference. Better route planning, easier to use and the maps are of a better quality, ie. I don't end up on a road that isn't programmed into the GPS. I found the Garmin doesn't have a lot of the major roads in my area on it, and after upgrading the maps I actually lost a few that I used to have.... The TomTom is always reliable.

I picked the Zumo 220 because:

- I have had good experience with Garmin in the past
- The Zumo 220 was reasonably priced compared to other motorcycle-specific GPS units (water proof, shock proof)
- Garmin Basecamp is super easy to create custom routes for the GPS. Snap-click routing and super detailed maps (in North America). One button transfer to the GPS

That's all I can offer, I'm afraid. I do like my Zumo 220 but it's nothing special that I would recommend over anything else. It just works :)

Last edited:
Dustin can you power the Zumo 220 from USB?

I have an old Garmin 255, a handlebar mount and a USB power point. All well and good except every time I plug the bastard in it goes into PC mode and won't navigate. Power it on/off a few times it goes back to navigate mode, then a couple of minutes later its back in PC mode again.

So I need to get something that will navigate and charge on USB power, using a normal short mini USB cable, not the 1 metre long stupid thing Garmin supplies with them.

Last edited:
Dustin can you power the Zumo 220 from USB?

I have an old Garmin 255, a handlebar mount and a USB power point. All well and good except every time I plug the bastard in it goes into PC mode and won't navigate. Power it on/off a few times it goes back to navigate mode, then a couple of minutes later its back in PC mode again.

So I need to get something that will navigate and charge on USB power, using a normal short mini USB cable, not the 1 metre long stupid thing Garmin supplies with them.

I just coil up the cord and tie it down with a velcro strap. The traffic function only works with the power cord and not with the USB cable. For security I use the RAM quick connect adapter and pop off the GPS to put either in my pocket or lock it in the luggage.

I use the regular auto Garmin, now a model 2597. You can get these for around $100 refurbished.

Traffic is not really an issue over here, we are allowed to lane split more or less. It's technically illegal but mostly tolerated/ignored.

My handlebar mount is fine, my problem is powering it off usb, not keen to run any more wires off my battery, already got the usb power point, a power commander & battery tender leads hooked up to it. I wont be able to fit the seat on soon.

I have a 2597LMT in my cage. I like the Garmins, I know how to crack them, free maps, free safety cam POIs etc, I upgraded because my 255's power switch had gotten a bit loose and was making a tiny constant rattling noise in my cage that was driving me crazy. So now it's sitting around doing nothing even though it works fine and has the latest maps etc.

I've found this ridiculous method online where you put the 255 into self-test mode before connecting the USB cable, then you can exit the test mode and it'll navigate while charging off the USB, but whether it'll stay like that and behave I will have to test out. I think the vibrations from riding around are just going to send it into PC mode continuously.

Last edited:
Back