gen 2 fz1 reliability?

hillm250

I'm considering buying a 2010 fz1 with only 1400 miles on it. This would be replacing my 02 fz1 that has almost 86000 miles on it. The Gen 1 fz1 has been great, I've only recently started to have electrical issues with it. I've ridden a Gen 2 before and I loved it. My question is is the Gen 2 fz1 as bombproof reliable as the Gen 1 fz1? This bike will be used as a commuter so it will rack up the miles quickly (70 miles a day sometimes). Any info is greatly appreciated

I'm considering buying a 2010 fz1 with only 1400 miles on it. This would be replacing my 02 fz1 that has almost 86000 miles on it. The Gen 1 fz1 has been great, I've only recently started to have electrical issues with it. I've ridden a Gen 2 before and I loved it. My question is is the Gen 2 fz1 as bombproof reliable as the Gen 1 fz1? This bike will be used as a commuter so it will rack up the miles quickly (70 miles a day sometimes). Any info is greatly appreciated

Is that a 2010 with 86,000 miles on it? That means the bike had close to 30,000 miles a year put on it since new. I wouldn't buy that bike unless you're getting it for like $1,000

My 2008 FZ1 has a little over 15,000 miles, which is not that much, but during that time I have not had one thing give any trouble. Absolutely 100% reliable.

I bought a 2009 with 5,300 miles on it January 2013. I've got 26,000 miles on it. I've only had to do regular oil & filter, tires, chain & sprocket, and coolant. I ride the crap out of my bike and it seems to be handling the abuse/love just fine.

Thanks for the info everyone, sounds like the Gen 2 is just as reliable as the Gen 1. Hopefully I can go test ride the bike within the next couple of days. 1400 miles is new in my opinion!

'07 with @65,000miles/110,000kms and can honestly say my bike is a friggin rock! It's done circuit duty, drag racing, ironbuttin and everything else in between. From riding on snow to scuba riding in typhoons! It's had an electric gremlin or two due to my farkling but nothing major. I try to stay ahead of maintenance and inspections and the thing just keeps on truckin.
My brother has the same year bike with 2/5 the distance and has just struggled through a faulty coil lead and wheel bearing but has otherwise had no probs.

As with anything, there are always lemons but I don't think yamaha is a particularly good fruit farmer. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Gen II FZ6 and FZ1 appear well designed and built. Never a problem with either bikes. Follow the manual guides for upkeep, you'll be fine. That's really a low mileage bike you're considering. By my standards, not even broke in.

Just make certain the first oil and filter change was done.

Last edited:
2006 with 24,000 miles. I purchased the bike with 8K miles and a bad voltage regulator rectifier. Troubleshot the rest of the charging system just to be sure and bought a replacement R/R. At 17,000 miles my replacement regulator went south! I replaced it with SHINDENGEN MOSFET FH020AA REGULATOR/RECTIFIER for $125 (Google that and it will take you there) and so far so good at 24,000 miles.

I really enjoy the bike even though it had a few hicups with the above issue. I also installed 1" up and 1.25" back handle bar risers and 1" lower foot pegs. My 50 yr old body thinks it was a good move! It was the slight tweaks in the ergos that made a difference. Everything I have read is that the Gen I is more comfortable than the Gen II. I like the Gen II. The bike you are looking at with 1400 miles is barely broke in. The value is in the used bike, buy it!

Good luck

I did 37,500 kms on my old 2007 and only problem was it needing a new battery after 4 years. Replaced a few months back with a new 2012 and currently done 7000 km on that to date with no issues.

Most reliable bike I have ever owned :)

Back