Gen 2 chain/sprocket life

Just wondering what kind of life people were getting out of the OEM chain and sprocket on a Gen 2. I have just shy of 25,000mi and I can really notice the sound of the chain cycling at low speeds, however the sprocket teeth look find and there are not any kinks in the chain. Chain tension is also correct and closely monitored.

Just wondering what kind of life people were getting out of the OEM chain and sprocket on a Gen 2. I have just shy of 25,000mi and I can really notice the sound of the chain cycling at low speeds, however the sprocket teeth look find and there are not any kinks in the chain. Chain tension is also correct and closely monitored.

Are you checking your chain tension at it's tightest section? If your chain has been cleaned and lubed on a regular basis, then it would all depend on your riding style. Jack rabbit starts, wheelies, that would decrease your chain's life expectancy. If your an easy, non aggressive rider, you should still be okay at 25K.

You chain's life depends on many factors. My FZ1 is at 27K and still on the stock chain and rear sprocket. I do replacements ready to go in the garage, but I am curious about how long it last.

I'm at about 24K miles, and I just cleaned, adjusted, & lubed the original chain yesterday. I destroyed the chain on my first motorcycle, so I'm pretty diligent about taking care of it now. I would say that I'm at about 50% wear, maybe a little more. Sprockets look good as well. I'm not terribly hard on the chain, but I don't shy away from accelerating from a stop.

I'm almost and was told I don't have much more room for adjustment so i should replace chain and sprocket. Since it'll be parked for 9 months, I'll wait until I return to do that.

Before anyone asks, yes it's an 07 purchased new in 2010

Back