Gen-1 white stator/ RR connector

firefly

Been wanting to do this mod for ever & finally did it, the white connector under the left side of the tank looked good with no sign of melting or corrosion yet I was only getting 12.8 volts at RPMs above 2K which basically did not charge the battery but since I am a daily rider the bike started fine but if I left the bike 3 or 4 days the battery could not start the bike & I had to recharge the battery, I know the battery is on its way out sometimes the starting voltage drops to the point of messing the clock and trip counter.
Since I am not good at soldering & hear great things about Posi lock connectors I decided to go that route.

1- Cut the wires as close as possible to the connector because we don't have much wire length to work with.
2- Strip 1/4 inch from each wire, 3 white wires (from the stator), one red & one black from the RR.
3- Connect each wire to a posi lock connector, the exact order of the white wires is not important just connect white to white, the red and black are obvious, use pliers to hold the posi connector to make it tight, pull on the wire and connector to make sure they are tight & secure.
4- I connected the black wire and added an extra black wire & grounded it to the frame after removing the paint off that grounding location.
5- Connected a volt meter and went for a ride, now I am getting 14.20 volts above 2K RPM and 13.40 volts at idle & the voltage during starting only drops to 12.60 volts, before doing this mod it was dropping to 9.5 volts & wipes off the clock & trip counter.

Benefits of this mod are:
1- The battery gets fully charged which prolongs its life.
2- Lights become brighter.
3- Connecting heated gloves or anything that draws current is easily handled by the charging system & battery.
4- The bike starts easier & accelerates smoother.

Now since the battery suffered all this abuse from ever being fully charged I will also replace the battery as soon as the new one arrives.

Posi also makes a very useful and simple connector to tap into a wire without cutting it or soldering, like when connecting a manual fan switch or any connection that requires that.

Last edited:
Back