GeII headers.

supersonic

I bought my FZ1 with a micron slip on muffler already fitted and recently thought I'd try out the stock muffler. Had it on for a couple of weeks and today put the Micron back on. Wow what a difference in power, which got me to thinking, how much more power would a set of aftermarket headers make? Any experience?

I bought my FZ1 with a micron slip on muffler already fitted and recently thought I'd try out the stock muffler. Had it on for a couple of weeks and today put the Micron back on. Wow what a difference in power, which got me to thinking, how much more power would a set of aftermarket headers make? Any experience?

Well on the top-end there is not that much of a difference between a decatted stock header and an an aftermarket header (2-3 HP at most). The biggest difference is in the mid-range where the aftermarket header with the longer primary tubes just trounces the stock one.

I looked at some dyno charts and the Yoshimura has a more linear power curve, where the stock dips at around 4000rpm. Any make in particular that works best?

I don't know if there is a huge difference between the aftermarket headers or not. I do know the yoshi was designed with the intent to make strong midrange.

I looked at some dyno charts and the Yoshimura has a more linear power curve, where the stock dips at around 4000rpm. Any make in particular that works best?

For the price you can't beat the full Yosh TRC or R-77 exhaust. It was designed with input from Ivan over at Ivan's Performance Products and as you already saw it fills in that dip in the mid-range nicely. Not to mention that it's a lot lighter than the stock exhaust. I bet the stock muffler alone weighs more than the full Yosh exhaust.

I notice that you have a yoshi full system. How do you like it?

I really like it. When I put it on I immediately noticed the difference in the mid range. A week later I installed the 16tooth front and now the front comes up very easy. I have to be careful coming out of 2nd gear corners.

Go for a full system irrespective. I have got the Full Micron system with I think the longest headers and it made a huge difference in the midrange. Next is to try the 16T.
The Micron was another I was looking at, I have a micron slip on and there is a new set of headers for sale locally. Thanks for the input. Did you also get a Power Commander?

I've always been curious if any companies made replacement exhausts that weren't much louder than OEM. As much as I enjoy the additional power and do enjoy the exhaust note once in a while, it's really a pain in the ass to have a loud bike every day of the week

I've always been curious if any companies made replacement exhausts that weren't much louder than OEM. As much as I enjoy the additional power and do enjoy the exhaust note once in a while, it's really a pain in the ass to have a loud bike every day of the week

Yea, most people looking for an aftermarket exhaust want the additional noise so I doubt a "quiet" aftermarket exhaust exists since it probably wouldn't sell well.

My Akrapovic slip-on is pretty long and is still fairly loud so I doubt a short, nice looking but open exhaust is even possible.

Is it really that loud even with the db-killer in place? My Yosh R-77 is not too bad with the insert in the muffler. Still has a nice rumble, but it's not loud and annoying at all. Biggest advantage of an aftermarket slip-on on the Gen II is the nice reduction in weight over the stocker.

That is a beautiful looking header and a nice option if you've already invested in an aftermarket slip-on like you have. Biggest problem is the price :eek:

Custom bike specific 1 piece low production number header will cost big. The looks and quality of the Holeshot stuff is what makes me want this one. IF I don't invest in a new bike (to replace the KLR, not the FZ) then I am planning to invest in the holeshot and PCV and have it dynoed by spring. That and new Pilot Road 2's.

Yea, most people looking for an aftermarket exhaust want the additional noise so I doubt a "quiet" aftermarket exhaust exists since it probably wouldn't sell well.

I agree, it's unfortunate that means I'm restricted to using OEM exhausts on my commuter bike :)

Is it really that loud even with the db-killer in place? My Yosh R-77 is not too bad with the insert in the muffler. Still has a nice rumble, but it's not loud and annoying at all. Biggest advantage of an aftermarket slip-on on the Gen II is the nice reduction in weight over the stocker.

My one didn't come with a db killer. I was after a relatively quiet muffler that was open and I'm pretty happy with the Akra.
The exhaust note is very nice but not obscenely loud like the Mivv Suono.

I agree, it's unfortunate that means I'm restricted to using OEM exhausts on my commuter bike :)

I have a stainless Yoshi TRC fitted on my 06.

I was a bit worried about the noise aspect but couldn't deal with the factory bazooka for much longer.

So I pulled the trigger, bought one here in OZ at a great price and fitted it.

I have left the header cat in place and have left the Yoshi baffle in the can as well to better manage the noise issues.

I love it!! Not too loud at all. Very deep and throaty sound and quite pleasant on the ears even at "go to jail" rpms!! My opinion is that it has let the bike breathe better. The best part has been the weight reduction on the rear of the bike. The stock can is about 7 kgs while the Yoshi is about 2kg. You can really feel the weight difference in the handling of the bike.

I also left the AIS untouched as I don't mind the "popping on decel" when you completely roll off the throttle.

Back