Gas milage

OK I filled up yesterday and it took 4.4 gallons. The most I've let it run out. So this is about 150-160 to a tank. I this SUCKY or normal? Would a Map System help it ? I miss my 50 mpg Nighthawk.

4.4 gallons for 150-160 miles equals between 34-36 MPG which seems to be par for the course based on what the Gen 2 guys say around here.

That's about right. On a very hard, fast ride I get about 30-32mpg. I've been dogging it lately (under 4k most of the time) and I've see 37-46mpg. That's about the best and worst of the Gen II in my experience. I've seen some claim an average of 45mpg and above, but I'm not sure if that was Gen I (which get better MPG) or perhaps they have made a sprocket change that shows more miles than actual miles thus giving a falsely elevated MPG.

Try out Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG to keep track of MPG and you'll know. I have the banner in my sig that auto updates. You can check out my mileage and there are several others from the forum that use fuelly too.

Sprocket change, I did that and forgot about it. I'm about 10% off real miles. So that being said I guess it's better than what I thought, DOH. :frown:

i have issues... my fully modded fz1 gets about 26-29 mpg i get MAX 32-34 when i have a differcent map in the PC3 and ride easy. but be glad if you can get 34+ out of these bikes... their very thirsty. also, what gas do you use? i used 93 octane until i read the manual that said 86 octane or better, i went from 27mpg with 93 octane to 30mpg with 89 octane. just some food for thought.

I used to put 93 octane in all my bikes, but now I use 87. It has been well pointed out on this forum that this bike is tuned for 87, so that's what I use and I haven't tested it, but it seems I get better MPG with 87. :dontknow:

Stone stock '06. In commute mode on I-5 the bike gets around 42 to 45 mpg. If I get into the afterburners on the merge a few to many times it goes down. Once on a fluke I hit 51 mpg putzing around the back roads and no stops. Although I wonder if I just screwed the math up calculating that fuel burn!

The bike was purchased used this spring and has since logged close to 8000 miles over this season. I really like the Gen II, no regrets! :D

I can't be totally sure how accurate I am on individual fill ups, but my average should be very good. I can't be totally consistent on where I stop the fill up. I always try to 'over fill' and fit every drop in the tank I can. I usually let the 'neck' fill up once or twice and then drain down into the tank. Where do you stop your fill up?

I find if I have less stop and goes it's better #'s. I fill up on the side stand. I noticed Dustin filled on the center stand. I guess you can get more in there that way. I fill to the bottom of the neck like the book said.

I just got 45mpg average from my last tank on my Gen1.

That is the best I have ever had on the beast. Of course my riding habits are to commute on the freeway each day, and I take it pretty easy most of the time.

32-34 hard back road riding
34-37 mpg commuting
43-45 mpg full interstate.
43-51 mpg easy riding on the backroads

People bitching about the low mpg don't realize that the gen2 encourages you to ride faster. Gen1s just a have larger range and are more for relaxed sport touring. Gen2 is a basically a comfy sportbike/R1.

Back