Garmin Zumo series or other motorcycle GPS

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S player and install Sygic app as my navigating guide. Added in the Aquabox from RAM mount helps to protect it from rain.

Now looking to find some shade or DIY something onto the Aquabox because of the sun glare. One common thing about most non bike gps is that the display is crap when the sun shines on it.

Total cost is half of a bike gps. Cost savings

Stand alone GPS's are obsolete Use your iphone in a lifeproof case and get the Garmin or TomTom app or whatever nav app you prefer. Stream it to your helmet VIA bluetooth so you get the instruction in your helmet, play music or take and receive phone calls.

Stand alone GPS's are obsolete Use your iphone in a lifeproof case and get the Garmin or TomTom app or whatever nav app you prefer. Stream it to your helmet VIA bluetooth so you get the instruction in your helmet, play music or take and receive phone calls.

I've heard this statement before but I never did find out if you can program a 15,000 km route through multiple countries into your iPhone or Android nav system. There are many advantages to a standalone GPS

Last edited:

The last thing I want to do when i'm on my bike is to talk on a phone. I don't even want that when i'm not riding. lol.

Works great as long as you are within cell towers to stream data. Not so good when you are out in the middle of nowhere and roaming. That is why I have a cheap GPS and a smart phone.

Even on the Interstate I lose my carrier in spots.

Works great as long as you are within cell towers to stream data. Not so good when you are out in the middle of nowhere and roaming. That is why I have a cheap GPS and a smart phone.

I pay extra to have Verizon because they are the only carrier where I live that has coverage where I need it. I'd like to see a cheaper option for a motorcycle specific GPS, but I guess it's expensive to make it waterproof, shock proof and UV resistant. I'd feel more comfortable on longer trips with a good motorcycle specific GPS, but then again, they say young motorcyclists pick a destination, older motorcyclists pick a direction. :thewave:

The Nav on my Iphone doesn't need cell service. The phone has a built in GPS that it uses for navigation and the app has all the info stored on your phone. I have both the Garmin TomTom on my Iphone. The only thing you won't be able to do it take a phone call which n.e.mich said he hates doing anyways.

I've very successfully been using a Garmin Colorado 300 GPS (which is a handheld sport unit), with a custom RAM cradle. Maps can be successfully loaded to this GPS & it's about as water resistant as any GPS can be.

The new "Oregon" or "Montana" series of Garmin GPS units would be an even better selection for motorcycle use, being rated for submersion in 1 metre of water for 30 minutes.
They have large, full colour touchscreen displays, have no need of backlights during the day, operate via bluetooth, have cameras, lights, all sorts of goodies!

Don't be totally fixed on an automotive unit, as these handheld jobs are more full featured than the made-for-vehicle versions.

Back