FZ's are smooth/SV's are not!

OldDuffer

Norm you asked for a riding impression of the SV. It's like sitting on a nicely paded bench, while someone pounds on the underside with a rubber mallet. This thing is not the refined beasty that my FZ was. That's why I LIKE IT! I've only had one day to ride and put on about 100 miles running errands and screwing around on one of my local loops. My impression is that if I'm gonna get on this thing any harder the Pilot Roads that came with the bike when it was new 6 years ago gotta go. That's an easily solved problem. Other than that little issue this thing is the Bee's Knee's for back road squirting. Pick your corner entry speed dip in and twist the rumble stick. This thing just turns in with an enthusiasm the FZ didn't have. It's much more nimble. Exits are the best, doesn't matter what gear you're in. The torque is just there and plentiful. This thing is built for the close tight stuff around my house. Touring, not so much. The FZ has it in spades in the comfort department. The long range capabilities of the Yamaha far outstretch the Suzuki. We don't need to get into the power thing, obviously the FZ has the SV trumped easily. And it's also more stable at speed. They're just such different bikes that a comparison isn't worthy of either bike. They both fill the niche for which they were intended.

All that being said I wish I could have kept the FZ and gotten this bike. But I know Mrs. D would never go for that. Oh well if I had everything the way I wanted it, I'd still worry that something was wrong. Later folks gotta go pick Mrs. D up at the airport. If there are no further posts you'll know what happened. LOL

I don't have a lot of riding time on sporty v-twins, but their torque delivery makes them a pleasure to drive out of corners. Even something as basic as a Ninja 650 is fun ;) I would imagine the Suzuki with a full 1000cc makes plenty of that wonderful v-twin torque :)

Great review. It echoes what I felt about my SV. Although the SV650 has inferior suspension to the 1000, it just felt much more satisfying turning a corner than the FZ1, even though the FZ1 had rebuilt suspension & RaceTech springs.

That 1000 is a tempting engine but I'm afraid that a 1000cc v-twin would leave me hungry for MPG

Being a former Suzuki man, I very nearly bought a SV1000S.
I always liked the look of them and they sound awesome with a nice set of pipes.
You can get a set of Heli-bars to make it a bit more comfy on those longer trips.
I would love to have a bit more bottom end on the FZ1 as it tends to bog a little coming out of slow corners in 2nd gear.
Enjoy your ride.

SV's

Actually, my '03 SV got amazing mileage. Around 50 mpg's if I remember right. Even the TL did. I like my FZ, tho. Do miss the ST sometimes, but it got terrible mileage when really pushed. I wish I could have kept them all, also!!

I had a SV650 back in college and fell in love with that bike. It was so nimble and forgiving. My everyday driver for almost 2 years. I drove to class and around town. PERFECT college bike. Cheap, good looking and very easy to drive. I was very happy with that bike.
I traded up to my FZ1 because I needed the Xtra power. I really needed it because my fat but had gotten up to 235lbs and that little 650 was having trouble keeping up. LOL It did it's best and looked good trying but it just want strong enough for my fat ass!!! LOL

Who you callin Fat?

Up to 235. Johhny you must be a little whelp. I've been shedding pounds since late January. 235 is right around my target weight. That's still about 12 lbs. away. Being 6'3" and having the frame of a fireplug, nobody calls me slim. I rode an SV650 and if motorcycles can complain, I think that one did. Love the little bikes for their excellent handling, but I'm just too big. Any of these bikes gets better mpg than my ZX12 did. 25 was the average.

Misquote on my part Johnny, I should have attributed that statement to the Jock. But if you're in the market for an SV, I'm always looking to the next toy.

No the wife says I'm good :^) I've got the FZ close to being the true do it all and do it all competently machine. I cant come to part with the dirt bike and I'm only allowed to have the quantity that I have now, unless I jump a tax bracket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a SV650 back in college and fell in love with that bike. It was so nimble and forgiving. My everyday driver for almost 2 years. I drove to class and around town. PERFECT college bike. Cheap, good looking and very easy to drive. I was very happy with that bike.
I traded up to my FZ1 because I needed the Xtra power. I really needed it because my fat but had gotten up to 235lbs and that little 650 was having trouble keeping up. LOL It did it's best and looked good trying but it just want strong enough for my fat ass!!! LOL

I made the same transition for the same reason. It was better for around town but highway riding is no comparison. Triple digits on the 650 was a totally different experience, not in a good way.

There are times when I'd LOVE to have the torque of the big V rumbling beneath me in the likes of the SV or even better, a Duc... but it wouldn't replace the FZ1, merely a token ride that would get used "once in a while" when the Fizz needs a break.

Still, I don't think it beats the sound and performance of that awesome top-o-D-line Yamaha cross-plane R1 engine. If I could have that plant in the FZ1 frame and ergos.... well, BYE BYE Gen II! HellOOOOOOOOOOOO Gen III FZ1! w00t!!!!!!!!!!

There are times when I'd LOVE to have the torque of the big V rumbling beneath me in the likes of the SV or even better, a Duc... but it wouldn't replace the FZ1, merely a token ride that would get used "once in a while" when the Fizz needs a break.

Still, I don't think it beats the sound and performance of that awesome top-o-D-line Yamaha cross-plane R1 engine. If I could have that plant in the FZ1 frame and ergos.... well, BYE BYE Gen II! HellOOOOOOOOOOOO Gen III FZ1! w00t!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with ya. I don't care what the performance numbers would be as long as I could listen to that cross plane, and I could all day.

Up to 235. Johhny you must be a little whelp. I've been shedding pounds since late January. 235 is right around my target weight. That's still about 12 lbs. away. Being 6'3" and having the frame of a fireplug, nobody calls me slim. I rode an SV650 and if motorcycles can complain, I think that one did. Love the little bikes for their excellent handling, but I'm just too big. Any of these bikes gets better mpg than my ZX12 did. 25 was the average.

LOL
I'm about 6ft tall and I finally got down to about 210. My college football weight was 205lbs but it was proportioned differently :ugh:
LOL - I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was driving through the Texas Hill Country. My SV650 was whining as we went up and down those steep hills. LMAO!!! I almost felt guilty sitting there enjoying the ride while that poor bike had to work so hard. ;)
Have to agree with you on the nimble part. That bike was a pleasure to drive. In fact - have you ever seen these competitions? I would love to give this a try with the SV:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P06kyy70g70&feature=related]YouTube - ‪outrageous motorbike skills new cbt course‬‏[/ame]

I made the same transition for the same reason. It was better for around town but highway riding is no comparison. Triple digits on the 650 was a totally different experience, not in a good way.

Right.
Did you ever get knocked around by crosswinds?
The little bit of extra weight on the FZ1 has also helped. I remember getting blown around by some cross winds on the interstate when I was on the SV650.

I had an SV1000S for a while and have had a few Honda Superhawk 1000s I love the v-twin sound and torque but the FZ is so comfortable and the top end is great. My biggest problem with the twins is that the bar vibration gets bad if you put on a lot of miles (over 300) a day on them.

LOL
I'm about 6ft tall and I finally got down to about 210. My college football weight was 205lbs but it was proportioned differently :ugh:
LOL - I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was driving through the Texas Hill Country. My SV650 was whining as we went up and down those steep hills. LMAO!!! I almost felt guilty sitting there enjoying the ride while that poor bike had to work so hard. ;)
Have to agree with you on the nimble part. That bike was a pleasure to drive. In fact - have you ever seen these competitions? I would love to give this a try with the SV:

YouTube - ‪outrageous motorbike skills new cbt course‬‏

I don't know what was more amazing, his prowness on the bike, or how he could remember where to go on the course! Unbelieveable!

Back