FZ8 Bars to 09 FZ1S

I bought a set of FZ8 Bars (slight rise for my short arms). Do they use different Bar End Weights? There is no thread inside the Bar! Or do I have to grind the weld off the FZ1 bars and reweld them into the FZ8?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I would just get some aftermarket bar ends.
I wouldn't butcher the stock set up in case you want to return the bike to stock.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Just put them on and then go flat out , redline through the gears and see if it wobbles any .

If not , then they are ok:stunta]:

Yep that is my thinking. Also think the FZ8 uses expanding type instead of threaded so I've ordered some aftermarket ones.

I dont get it ?

They are just handlebars , you bolt them on so they arent loose then go, pretty simple really , if you hang a wheelie and they slip , then they are loose ,nip them up.

WTF is threaded and expanding handlebars ?

Just Curious

I dont get it ?

They are just handlebars , you bolt them on so they arent loose then go, pretty simple really , if you hang a wheelie and they slip , then they are loose ,nip them up.

WTF is threaded and expanding handlebars ?

Just Curious

He's talking about bar ends.

The FZ1S handlebar has threaded ends to mount the bar ends, the FZ8 has an open hole, hence the expanding type bar ends needed to fit into them.

Some bars are threaded to accept end that will screw in.

The "expanding type" use a compression type fit to secure. Usually done with a screw and expandable bushing that as one tightens the screw, it expands the bushing to lock it in place against the inside of the bar. Rizoma bar end are a good example of this type.

Yep that is my thinking. Also think the FZ8 uses expanding type instead of threaded so I've ordered some aftermarket ones.

Main problem is that the aftermarket ones are mostly for looks and don't do much for reducing (or eliminating) the vibrations. They are typically constructed of aluminum and very light, but still it's better that having no bar ends I suppose.

Thanks for the constructive comments guys. I am worried about the weight of the aftermarket ones. Saw somewhere that some bars are silicon? filled. Does this work and how do you rekon it would be done easilly.

Thanks for the constructive comments guys. I am worried about the weight of the aftermarket ones. Saw somewhere that some bars are silicon? filled. Does this work and how do you rekon it would be done easilly.

Some people have used fishing weights tightly packed in the bars, lead shot or some silicone to fill the bars. Any of these things will help somewhat with the vibrations. If using silicone make sure you tape over any of the small holes in the bars that are normally used to position the switchgear in it's place.

Every bike is different, some will vibrate more than others due to a thousand little variations. Don't make a problem for yourself until you have a problem.

I bought a set of FZ8 Bars (slight rise for my short arms). Do they use different Bar End Weights? There is no thread inside the Bar! Or do I have to grind the weld off the FZ1 bars and reweld them into the FZ8?

Any ideas?
--------------------------------------------
The weights at the ends of the handlebars have a stabilizing function when you hit a pothole on the bias. They are meant to save yr hide by reducing the reaction of the handlebars in such an upset situation.
I bought my bike used and the previous owner had changed the weights for decorative aluminum ones. I put the original 6nes back in place...
could you show a pic ?

Don't think they'd have much of a stabalizing effect. That said they definatley damp fibrations from the motor. I'm looking at using (wedging) some fishing sinkers in the end before the after market bar ends to achieve the damping effect. Think i'll need about 20mm diamemter to get a tight fit.

I have Rhinomoto bar ends on my FZ1N and it seems the same as the heavier stock ones to me.
Either way you will get still some vibes through the bars, it's just the nature of the beast.

Back