FZ6 to FZ1

Sold my FZ6 a few months after having it 3 years. And I'm looking for a new bike and the FZ1 is on the list. I know speed and power what else is different between the two? Thanks

More torque an HP are what you've pointed out. The ergonomics of the seating position are a bit more aggressive. The fairing is smaller but deflects wind nicely just the same. The forks are adjustable instead of fixed like the FZ6. The stock seat is marginally better than the stock FZ6 seat but you may want to consider an upgrade. The chain adjustment is much easier on the FZ1. You'll be going from 45 mpg to about 33 mpg and have a slightly smaller tank so more frequent stops for fill-ups. The FZ1 feels more solid and quality built. You get the impression that the FZ6 was just of lesser quality. Braking is greatly improved and can be further improved with some SS lines. The rear shock is just as crappy as the FZ6 so an upgrade there is a must if you carve with this bike. You get a ton more charging system thus you can run a bunch more accessories from the FZ1. There's no need for the "dual headlight mod" at all. You'll have a VERY difficult time removing the stupid grin the FZ1 puts on your face.

I owned the '05 FZ6 as well as the '08 FZ6 and I have zero regrets about trading up. I forgot all about the FZ6 within a few hours ride on the FZ1. I really love this bike and will likely never part with it. I might buy others and ride them but the FZ1 will always be in the stable. :D

Last edited:
Well what FZ1inNH said pretty much sums it up. I do believe however the stock seat of the fz6 felt a lot more comfortable.
But the grin makes up for that, I had an fz6, totalled it, test rode an fz8, it was pretty nice, but the fz1 made me feel like a little kid with a new toy, it was awesome. never had that much fun riding a bike untill I rode the fz1. So I bought that one right after the test ride.

What has been said sums it up rather well. I currently have both (08 FZ6 and 07 FZ1) and if it is a thrill you are looking for, look no farther than the FZ1! My experience with the 6 is good and I really like it. However, I do find the 6's seat to be slightly more comfortable than the 1's (Corbin-kinda hard for my tastes), but neither are particularly comfortable for me. Neither have much go-power down low and the 1's stock first gear is taller but that is where the similarities end. The 1's power delivery starts to come on about 4k rpm and keeps on coming till you say stop (mine has the power commander). 0 to reckless in first, then on to jail in second. If you catch my drift.

Thanks for the info, I sold the FZ6 wanting a BMW F800GS. After looking into it more just don't think its the right bike to get. (cost, repairs, etc) Seen some great deals online for new 09 models. I did enjoy doing the dual headlight mod.

I actually considered the F800GS As well. problem is is that its concentrated towards ofroad use.
I love BMW but the FZ1 won on all points.

Last edited:
Basically what everyone else has said, this is my second Fazer(after a '05) and my sixteenth bike.

And the most literal, unadulterated fun ever!!

Generally after a couple of years I get bored and start looking towards the next bike, not with this. This one is a keeper(unless they bring out the Fazer with ABS and the Xplane motor(hint,hint Yamaha):poke:)

I owned an FZ6 and modded the heck out of it; the FZ1 stock is worlds better, hands down. The suspension of the FZ6 is simply terrible, and the throttle response is in a league of it's own, beyond terrible. The FZ1 is like a dream in comparison. Even the dreaded '06 FZ1 throttle response is better than the FZ6. Buy one and you'll be happy. :D

Back