FZ1000 vs Bandit 1250

I'm looking to purchase a bike but not certain which one would be better suited for me. I'm looking for all day comfort with serious torque. I heard that the Bandit 1250s produced some serious torque at around 2500 rpm's. How would the FZ1 compare to the Bandit. I'm riding a VFR800 and it rides awesome. It is always ready to pull at any speed and I was wondering if the FZ would give me that kind of torque. Is the FZ1 flat at the bottom rpm's or does it pull pretty strong?

Hi Ray, I haven't ridden the 1250 Bandit but I have owned a lot of bikes, over 20 in fact and I still own a 2006 model GSXR 1000 as well as the 07 Fz1n.
The FZ pulls really hard at the top end but lacks a little mid range compared to the GSX but these are 2 very different bikes. There are mod's you can do to the fz to cure this problem if you want but I dont really see the need as it go's good enough in stock trim.
As a real world bike the FZ1 is the best of the 2 but the only real gripe I have is the seat is uncomfortable but I had my seat customized and that made a real difference.
I think If you want a more touring type of bike I would most probably get the Bandit. For me I got the Fz because its lighter and handles really well through the twistiest and I would only upgrade the suspension if I were doing some serous track days. My son who is 26 has ridden both the Gsx and the fz and he loves the Fz so what more can I say!
I forgot to mention That I used to own a Hayabusa as well and the thing with a bigger engine is that it rev's lower than a 1000 so the Bandit might be the better choice if that is want you want.

I've never driven a Bandit but I can say the FZ1 is more than adequate for most any task you want to use her for, It might lack some in the bottom end but it doesn't take but a twist of the throttle to hit top end and she pulls HARD after that.

Are you a sport rider? Tourer? Carver? Track days? Tell us how you like to ride and we can tell you how the FZ1 fits your style. :tup:

If low end torque is what's important to you then get the Bandit. However, understand that you're giving up handling in the process. The FZ1 (comparing stock to stock) handles better and is considerably lighter.

I have not ridden a Bandit, the styling of the bike just does not appeal to me. I have ridden a VFR800 and an FZ1.

I liked the suspension better on the VFR when compared to the FZ1.
At highway speeds (or better) the VFR was very smooth. In fact I found it very hard to keep the VFR close to the speed limit once I reached 60 or so.
At highway speeds on the FZ1, after 45 minutes or so, I felt pretty beaten up by the wind, so if I go back to an FZ1, I may get a larger windshield than the ZG Sport Touring that I had.

I found the acceleration of the FZ1 in going through gears getting up to speed was much better than the VFR. The acceleration of the VFR felt gutless to me after riding the FZ1.

I thought the handling of the VFR and FZ1 were pretty comparable but I would give an edge to the FZ1, I think its lighter.

The ergonomics of the FZ1 I found to be more comfortable being more upright. The VFR even with helibar risers was still to far forward for me, after 45 minutes or so, my wrists were starting to ache.

I like the fact that they both have center stands.

I am considering going back to the FZ1. Good luck in your search :)

My wife has the Bandit 1250 and I have a 2008 FZ1. Here is how they compair, and it really depends on how you like to ride.

The Bandit has an incredible amount of torque at all RPM. It will out pull my
FZ1 in a roll on in in top gear. It makes power up to about 8500rpm and then starts to drop off. Has a 9500rpm redline. Down shifting to pass on this bike is optional, and it is smooth. I once rode at 70mph for 20 minuts in 4th gear and did not realize it untill I looked at the tach. Top gear is is good from 45mph up and the torque the bike makes will pull it through with no problems.

The FZ starts to make real power at around 7000rpm and will pull hard to 12000rpm. It still has a lot of power below that just not on par with the Bandit. The FZ does vibrate more, its not bad but when you ride the two back to back you notice it.

The FZ handles better with more positive feedback, the Bandit does quite well but cant keep pace. I dont like the feel from the front of the bike but that may be tires or suspension set up. The FZ has better suspension for fast riding but the Bandit does ride smoother. I have done track days on the FZ, The Bandit would be out of it element if asked to do that.

Bandit wins when it comes to comfort. Seat is better, bars a little higher, pegs a little lower. I can ride this one all day with no problem. It has a larger fuel tank, gets better fuel mileage and looks better with the Givi bags. We bought hers as the touring model with full fairing, bags and ABS.

I bought the FZ because I wanted a bike that handles better with a stiffer chassis. She was after a bike that was comfortable that had the kind of power that ment she didn't have to shift to pass and the bandit is just that.

Hope that helps.

The Bandit is a pretty good bike, I have ridden the 1250 many times and really enjoy it. As compared to my FZ1 like it has been said you do give up a little in the handling department with the bandit. And yes the seating on the bandit is more comfy for me being 6'2" with the lower pegs it isnt as buched up of a ride like the FZ. I do like the power on the bandit and as was said there are plenty of mods for the FZ that can give you what you desire. However I would say I wouldnt give up my FZ for the bandit. But to help you out. Both are wonderful bikes and you cant go wrong with either bike.

700 miles in one day long enough for a day trip? (Mixed backroads and interstate).

Creature comfort mods include the puig touring shield. Stock is garbage for any long distance riding. Had the vstream on earlier. Great for cool/cold weather riding, not good for 90's.

Seatwise, have the corbin. Can't imagine doing it on a stock seat. Also changed out to bmw grips for better comfort.

I think the seat and the shield make the biggest difference. Both are equally important. Stock at highway speeds would keep pushing you back. Stock seat angle caused me to keep sliding into the tank most of the time.

Power wise, with about $1K in mods, the bike performs exceptionally well down low (with some gains up high too). As well as the bandit, unsure. Not as good as the c14, that's for sure. But we are talking an engine 3/4 the size of the c14. The lighter weight more than makes up for it. Typical cruising rpm is 4500-5500, higher in the corners. I do think it out handles the c14 though.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses guys. I don't ride on tracks. I do most of my riding on the Interstate or around town. Which model FZ1's should I stay away from? I probably could get an 05 for a decent price but I'm not crazy on the body style of the 05. I like the body style of the 06 and up. They look meaner! I also like the Bandit's hydraulic clutch. I'm very confuse about which bike to buy, part of me wants the Bandit, part of me wants the FZ1000 and part of me wants the VFR800.

Since you already have a VFR800, you know what that bike is. I don't know that you will really know how the other two bikes are unless you can ride them for a couple of hours in the kind of locations you ride in. You could check with the dealership or private owners around you that have these bikes and see if you could ride one or both. We have two major dealerships where I live and they have different rules on what can and cannot be taken for a test drive and for how long. This limitation makes it very hard to make a choice about what to buy. I don't know that there is a single perfect bike for all kinds of riding. You can prioritze the attributes you want the most in a bike and see which bike you think would be best at that/those kind(s) of attribute(s). For all you know the VFR might be what you end up choosing and you already have that :)

Thanks for all the responses guys. I don't ride on tracks. I do most of my riding on the Interstate or around town. Which model FZ1's should I stay away from? I probably could get an 05 for a decent price but I'm not crazy on the body style of the 05. I like the body style of the 06 and up. They look meaner! I also like the Bandit's hydraulic clutch. I'm very confuse about which bike to buy, part of me wants the Bandit, part of me wants the FZ1000 and part of me wants the VFR800.

Well I'm sure you can get a Gen II FZ1 (06 and up) for not much more money than an '05. I wouldn't worry about the lack of a hydraulic clutch. The clutch effort is not greater than a hydraulic one and you have less things that can go wrong with it (apart from a broken cacle). Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Bandit is more like my '01 FZ than a new FZ - more upright, very fast and fairly heavy. I like both bikes. The newer FZ is more race-bike than it used to be.

Since you're really wanting something 'faster' and different, the newer FZ1 might be the ticket - definitely will be a change, and much more flickable!

Guys I actually own a Suzuki, Katana 750. What started this whole thing was my friend allowing me to use his VFR800. I've been riding it for a month now and it makes my Katana feel pretty gutless. I can be riding the VFR at around 50-70 mph and it still feels ready to pull hard. I'm 6'1 and 242. I'm looking for something that pulls hard in any gear, with alot of torque. I want something that I will not get tired of the power and start looking for another bike. I love the way the VFR rides and performs. I love the hydraulic clutch and fuel injection. I was looking for its equal in 1000 cc's.

Guys I actually own a Suzuki, Katana 750. What started this whole thing was my friend allowing me to use his VFR800. I've been riding it for a month now and it makes my Katana feel pretty gutless. I can be riding the VFR at around 50-70 mph and it still feels ready to pull hard. I'm 6'1 and 242. I'm looking for something that pulls hard in any gear, with alot of torque. I want something that I will not get tired of the power and start looking for another bike. I love the way the VFR rides and performs. I love the hydraulic clutch and fuel injection. I was looking for its equal in 1000 cc's.

If You want to be able to ample power through every gear without haveing to spend a ton of money to get it then I say go with the bandit. (Hate to say that on a FZ forum, and loving my FZ, but its the truth) also for your heigth you will feel less crunched on the bandit cause of the footpeg location. But as I said you cant go wrong with either the bandit or the FZ. Bandit sounds more like what you want while being stock, the FZ could be more than what want and one of the best bikes you could own with some money for Mods.

Hate to say it, but I have to agree the Bandit is closer to what you would enjoy based on your posts. If you're coming off a Suzuki, and a Katana 750 at that, the Bandit will feel great to you and you'll hardly ever have to shift.

The FZ1 will be more hyper to ride and honesly be a much bigger jump from either the Katana, VFR, or the Bandit simply from an ease of riding perspective.

Realize that the Bandit in many cases will have higher insurance rates due to the increased displacement. If you're coming off a 750 and moving to a 1250, you might find a significant increase in your insurance. You'll most likely find less of an increase with the FZ1, but still significant, depending on your coverage or the year of your Katana.

Also, Suzuki really isn't giving too much in the form of buying incentives, and Yamaha is, but I think in my experience on both bikes you would likely be happier with the Suzuki. It's just easier to ride and can be lugged along at about any pace without making you nervous, yet still haul the mail when you want to.

The FZ1 will inspire you to do bad things, run it up into higher rpms and go to track days or increase your lean angles on a regular basis. It just demands more of your attention to ride well than the Suzuki, in my opinion. You can motor around comfortable on the Bandit, but the FZ1 will turn in faster and operate at a higher RPM, where more revs can equal some wheelspin if you're used to lugging an 800cc V-Four around.

Basically if you prefer cruising and enjoying the torque, the Suzuki is the smoother ride.

As much as I hate to suggest something other than what we ride here, I think you'd be happier with the Suzook.

For all of these reasons, this is why I personally chose the FZ1 INSTEAD of the Suzuki.

Best wishes, and let us know what you pick!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. Are the two bikes really that different? The Bandit has around 98 HP @ 8850 rpm and 77 pounds of torque at 6100 rpms. The FZ1 has 150 HP and is probably close to putting out the same amount of torque so how could the Bandit be slower yet more powerful?

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. Are the two bikes really that different? The Bandit has around 98 HP @ 8850 rpm and 77 pounds of torque at 6100 rpms. The FZ1 has 150 HP and is probably close to putting out the same amount of torque so how could the Bandit be slower yet more powerful?

It (Bandit) puts out the power at a lower RPM, which makes it better suited for regular street riding. The FZ1 requires higher RPMs to get into its powerband.

Different gearing on the two bikes makes alot of difference.

Back