FZ1 with FZ8 risers; question

Criminal Pilot

Short version:
Has anyone here ever tried the FZ8 risers (or any lower risers) and had success? What were your methods? Did you hit any snags?

Long version:
I searched pretty thoroughly and ended up settling on using stock FZ8 risers to bring my handlebars to a slightly lower position. I heard about using SV650 risers and all sorts of other options, but was able to get FZ8 ones from a trashed bike locally, and wanted the lowest possible (these are extremely short, a good 2 inches shorter than stock, if not more).

What I did not account for was clearance because I figured it would be mostly plug-and-play. First of all, to even get the bar to sit on the risers properly, I had to adjust the suspension to be super tight because the adjusting screw/bolt was protruding out the top way higher than the risers were going (this is at stock 5.5 stiffness!!). I had to change it so the bolt was almost flush with the top triple, almost max stiffness (way too much for street).

Second, once I got the bars on properly, I wasn't able to get full steering lock to lock movement so I had to rotate the bars upwards slightly. No big deal, except for the fact that the controls clipped the top triple so I couldn't rotate the bar. So I had to rotate the controls separately from the bar to get the right angle, but then I couldn't rotate the controls because the cables coming from them got snagged and were no longer free moving (brake and clutch, mainly).

I actually finally got it to a very usable position after fiddling with it for a while, but then I was extremely unhappy with the stiffness of the suspension so I had no choice but to raise the risers. I used rubber stoppers to do this, and got another half inch of clearance which solved all the above issues. Only problem is now there is not enough thread visible on the bottom of the risers so I cannot properly re-attach the nut.

Wow, mouthful! Anyway... has anyone here ever tried the FZ8 risers and had success? What were your methods?

If not, what are the alternatives besides buying another set of risers? Any ideas? I guess I'd be considering a trade if anyone wants these and has SV650 risers or something else. What if I use stock risers and just lower the triple through the forks until the adjustment screw is just clear of the handlebar (hope that makes sense!). I've searched up on that too but am not sure on how that affects sag/response and handling, nor if it would even make a difference to riding position.

I loved the way the bike felt with the FZ8 risers, a little lower but still not superbike low. I just wish I could get proper clearance and have the suspension sorted properly.

Thanks!!

You may need to go with clip ons if you want to go that low. I used Rizoma conical bars and rizers, but I'm close to stock height.

I have tried FZ8 raisers with stock FZ1 handlebar, but it didn't fit exactly:

- bolts are shorter, so it isn't possible to use washers
- raisers are so low, that stock bars are touching of dumping adjusting screws

FZ8 raisers could fit with 22mm bars as Renthal etc. Which are bended in the middle part = same as is bars fz8/fz6

OK. If you take the FZ8 risers to a machine shop, they can probably remove the stud and then tap it for a longer threaded stud.

I simply used the risers from my GasGas enduro motorcycle. They are short, but they allow the use of a longer mount bolt and I used stainless steel washers to shim it to the height I wanted.

Today I am using Convertibars.

I have the SV risers, and for the most part, they work well. I have tried flat drag bars - the lock to lock issue was a fail. Then I tried a "SUPERBIKE" bend (what I have now). It works. I can have the forks raised a bit, but not as much as I want.

Now Im going to try a BIG BAR setup.

terdog-albums-pics-picture3660-fz1-030-2.jpg

I visited the Yamaha dealer a few hours ago and compared the stock setup of an FZ1 and FZ8 side to side.

The bar positioning on the 8 felt better. I could tell that there was less sweep and less of that awkward off angle relationship between arm/hand and grip. Less pressure on the elbows and outside of palms.

And I measured to be sure...roughly the 8 bar/riser sits 1/4 of an inch taller than the 1 and has about an inch less sweep.

And it looks better too IMO.

I'm ordering the 8 stock bar and riser tomorrow.

Thank you everyone for the tips. I'm going to take it to a machine shop and see if they can fix it up with a longer threaded stud so I can use different amounts of washers to adjust height. That seems to be the easiest way to go without spending more money on a completely different solution!

Thanks!

Here's mine with a very low set of risers on. Riding position was a bit too aggressive considering the bikes a sport tourer, so I changed back to the standard risers, but machined the bar ends down and extended the bars slightly. Now that made a huge difference!

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!

Here's the machined extenders. They made the bars 760mm wide, which was absolutely superb handling, but I then found out that the bars were bent!

I've now fitted WRP fat bars and low risers. They're now about 2" lower, and much less sweep.
Handling is now a bit less neutral, and a bit odd especially in the slow tight corners where more steering input is needed.

Here's mine with a very low set of risers on. Riding position was a bit too aggressive considering the bikes a sport tourer, so I changed back to the standard risers, but machined the bar ends down and extended the bars slightly. Now that made a huge difference!

Those are some wide bars!!!! You must be a big fellow.

Na, just gibbon length arms, I'm a bit of a mutant!
The bars are 800mm wide in the photo, I've cut them down to 760 now and they're pretty good width. The standard bar width is a bit too narrow for me, hence why I did the bar extenders.

Wow, that's quite a bit of custom work you've put into the bars! What risers did you have on there originally, and how was the clearance from the controls, tank, and importantly, the fork adjuster screw/bolt??

The first set of risers were off some moto x bike, and only about 10-15 mm rise with no pullback. The clearance for the tank and also the fairing was close, Damn close. These are of course with the standard bars, no extenders.

I have FZ8 risers and they fit with a little persuasion. I had to move the clutch cable so it didnt have such a sharp bend in it. The bars hit the tank just before full lock but unless Im turning around in a parking lot or locking the bars at night, it doesnt bother me. I love the look and like the riding position as well.

Matt

I messed with it for a while and found a setting that works. Only used three rubber washers on each side instead of the six that I thought I needed before. Exposes more than enough thread on the bottom to get it secured right.

And my custom windscreen to show off, too!

Risers_zps31184348.jpg

FZ1Low1_zps60ee5260.jpg
FZ1Low2_zps714d5669.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone!

I didn't coat them with anything. They came like that stock. I have aftermarket rider pegs though. The rearsets and passenger peg hangers were already black.

Rearsets_zpsdf99bbe6.jpg~original

I plan on getting the passenger pegs and the rider heelguards powder coated.. in my oven! :p

Back