FZ1 Winter Project Completed

LAZ

FZ1 Winter Project Completed - Smuggler, Hard Bags, Retro Kit, Bar End Mirrors & more

This winter I found a great deal on an FZ1 with 100 miles on it, so I bought it and sold my other one (I've had four Gen II's now - 2 Ravens, 1 Red, 1 Blue). I spent the winter researching and comparing parts, and buying from everywhere. I don't get on the forum much this time of year, because I will be out riding, or mowing the lawn, or something else - but I will list out what I did here...

• Retro Kit (kept everything except the front fender and the wheel stripes)
  • Bottom Cowl
  • Shield (after market, then shortened)
  • Corbin driver seat
  • Corbin rear seat with back rest
  • Corbin smuggler (had painted Pearl White Metallic)
  • Givi V35 bags (had trim panels painted Pearl White Metallic)
  • Copperdawg Gold Radiator guard
  • CRG Arrow Mirrors
  • Rhino Bar Ends to mount the mirrors
  • Custom Decals (I'm a graphic artist, so designed my own logos)
  • Modified existing rear fender to eliminate fender, yet keep stock signals
  • Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips (not in these photos)
  • Black Sliders
  • Two Brothers Black Series Carbon Fiber
  • Euro Front Signal Pod Mod with Alternating Flash
  • Bunch of performance mods (too many to list)
The paint was done by a friend that won "Best Paint" in the 2014 Portland Roadster show (he has multiple show cars that are top points cars and multi show winners), and it turned out a perfect match.

retro1_sm.jpg

fz1-smuggler.jpg

fz1-bags.jpg

fz1-bags_full.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking bike. How do you find those mirrors? OEM quality?

Thanks. The mirrors are one of the best mods I made and I should have done it first to the other FZ1's I had - I would never go back to stock again. The view out the back is undescribable and very easy to see (not like some said about having to look down). I can now see everything behind me in either mirror without having to move my shoulders (I'm 6' and have always had problems seeing my shoulders). They flip up in multiple positions (I think three) to easily get out of the way when I park it in the garage - and the flips are quality and not flemsy or cheap.

Last edited:
I know you listed them but was just wondering the quality of them. Things like the mirror optics, quality of glass and the fasteners.

They look awesome :)

I know you listed them but was just wondering the quality of them. Things like the mirror optics, quality of glass and the fasteners.

They look awesome :)

Sorry, I figured that out after re-reading your post so I made edits (I've been making edits ever since I put this up because I keep forgetting things I did).

Optics are wide and amazing - can't describe how much view they give, each gives the entire back both lanes without blind spots, I don't know how they did it but glad they figured it out.

Glass quality was perfect - no blems and flawless.

Fasteners worked very well. I bought Rhino bar ends that are made to be used with bar end mirrors, and they were a direct perfect match for the CRG mirrors - the package looks like it was made by factory Yamaha.

A friend of mine bought a new Z1000 this winter and we both did our research for mirrors at the same time (without talking to each other - we are competitive) and we both ordered these mirrors the same day. He loves his as much as I do, and says the same thing - they should have been his first mod. My only problem with them was not having them from day 1.

Last edited:
I want the smuggler so bad. What did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking? Can you get a pic of how you have the Givi bags mounted with the fender eliminator in place? Preferably a shot of the rear of the bike with the bags mounted so I can see how wide it is. I am so close to buying that stuff I would LOVE pics!

Your bike looks amazing.

The Givis and Smuggler are my end goal. Would look like this...

Someone else's bike that im in love with....

Last edited by a moderator:
I want the smuggler so bad. What did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking? Can you get a pic of how you have the Givi bags mounted with the fender eliminator in place? Preferably a shot of the rear of the bike with the bags mounted so I can see how wide it is. I am so close to buying that stuff I would LOVE pics!

Your bike looks amazing.

The Givis and Smuggler are my end goal. Would look like this...

Someone else's bike that im in love with....

Thanks. I bought the smuggler and the seat used from a forum member for $500 - then had it painted. My FE is a majorly modified stock fender. On the racks - I found a long threaded bolt that matched, then cut it to size and added nuts to lock the span (I had to span them out enough to get my signals to not rub on the bags when mounted). I still haven't decided whether or not I want to hack the tabs off of the Givi mounts.

fz1-bags_back.jpg

fz1-racks.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing bike! How do you like the cut screen? How is the wind protection? I have a ZG Touring screen that I'd like to cut instead of buying a new one.

Thanks

Matt

Amazing bike! How do you like the cut screen? How is the wind protection? I have a ZG Touring screen that I'd like to cut instead of buying a new one.

Thanks

Matt

It's surprisingly pretty good. In fact I don't notice it much from stock. I ran a ZG mid height on one of my other FZ1's, which was the best compromise of everything... but I wouldn't give up the looks of what I have now (personal taste).

Back