FZ1 V's Z1000

PK001

Heres a comparison between a mates 2010 Z1000

(Mods are only - K&N Filter, Vances and Hines Brawler Slip-ons)

and my 2011 FZ1

(Mods -Arrow Headers, Leo Vince Slip-on, AIS Blocked, Standard Airbox,K&N Filter, Longer Factory Pro Velocity Stacks , Shaved Secondary Butterflies (CD), Reflashed ECU, PCV)

I always read that Z1000 have good torque, heres the proof

Note: Test was done on the same Dyno and the same Day

DynoRunFZ1Z1000_zpse3dafdfb.jpg

Thank you for this very interesting post. I did a demo ride on a Z1000, and the torque is really there. The greater displacement at 1043cc helps, plus I imagine the cam profile is a little milder. As I finished the ride, I had the feeling that the Z1000 might be a faster motorcycle.

But then I got back on the FZ1, and as the RPM got up into the top of the range, the FZ pulled harder than the Z1000. Your graph prooves this to be true.

The Z1000 might be a little more streetable, but in a race where the RPM is up high - the FZ1 screams. Then its close-ratio transmission keeps the RPM up into the high power band. I used to put performance cams in various automobiles, and really like an engine that builds higher and higher power with increasing RPM.

My other bike is a Kawasaki, and I was really interested in the Z1000, but never was impressed with the appearance, although they are much improved over what they used to be. But after seeing the FZ1 and riding it, I knew that it was the choice for me.

This is very interesting stuff.

WABBMW - I've not ridden the Kaw but my nephew just got one. He's also the one that recommended (and found) the FZ-1 I bought a couple of months ago to add to my '06 Softail (fully dressed).

Now I've got one "couch cruiser" ( the Harley) and one "Furiously Fast" FZ'r depending on my mood ( and how my back feels as well). These things really like the RPS's and let you know it.

PK001 - Thanks for the post. Stimulating discussion topic.

Safe Riding, D

The Z1000 would be a good alternative to the FZ but the Ninja 1000 is even more attractrive to me. Same "upright" standard sitting position but full fairings.

Now I've got one "couch cruiser" ( the Harley) and one "Furiously Fast" FZ'r depending on my mood ( and how my back feels as well). These things really like the RPS's and let you know it.

Safe Riding, D
I like the way you think (LOL)!!. My bikes below, sitting outside of the old shop.
picture.php

Last edited:
The Z1000 would be a good alternative to the FZ but the Ninja 1000 is even more attractrive to me. Same "upright" standard sitting position but full fairings.

I like the way you think (LOL)!!. My bikes below, sitting outside of the old shop.
picture.php
Yes, I would be looking at the Ninja 1000 over the Z1000,a mate of mine has just ordered one,but he won`t be riding it for a while as he has several broken ribs after crashing his CBR1000 [right off]

Hey, no offense meant. I saw that you have the Mivv GP on now but that old one (Delkevic?) in the pic sticks out backwards a bit too much ...

Hey,, no problem. I like the basic carbon canister look of the Delkevic. I kept my Delkevic as my "quiet" slipon and use the mivv most of the time. Your comment just came outta nowhere, completely off topic of the thread, and could easily be taken as inflamatory or instagative.

If, for example, you posted a pic of your bike in a thread about "seats",,, I would NOT post that I think your tacky red dragon sticker looks silly and cheapens the look of your bike.... Even though that IS my opinion, it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, not to mention it would be rude, disrespectful to you and the other posters on that thread and simply uncalled for.

No big deal though, my skin is a little thicker then that and I like my Delkevic.:nana:

I had a 2010 Z1000 that I bought new a little over a year ago. I got rid of it a year later. I loved the bike, but for my purposes, it was totally impractical. The riding position was uncomfortable, wind protection was virtually non-existent, even with an aftermarket screen, and the 4-gal gas tank and 35 mpg make for very short rides.

The torque was definitely fantastic. But the EFI was just twitchy enough that I was always afraid I'd dump myself off the back of it, so I rarely got on it.

I've had a 2001 FZ1 for six months now and absolutely LOVE it. I like it in every way over the Z1000, except that I do miss the torque sometimes. Still, it's easier to ride, more comfortable, much better wind protection, and gets vastly better mileage. Plus it was cheap and paid for!

If I wanted another bike like the Z1000, I'd definitely get the Ninja 1000 instead even though I think the Z1000 is much better looking. The wind protection and bigger gas tank are good trade-offs.

Rob

Back