FZ1 vs Suzuki Bandit 1200

Since this is a "General Discussion Forum" , here is a general question for those who may have gone up against a Bandit 1200.
Which one should win a quarter mile race?
2003 FZ1 completely stock against 2001 Bandit with Yoshimura slip on??
Hypothetically speaking of course!

I don't think it would even be close...Bandit is heavier and makes less power. However, remember that 1/4 racing depends a lot on the launch. Screw it up and all you'll see is the other guys taillights at the end.

I don't think it would even be close...Bandit is heavier and makes less power. However, remember that 1/4 racing depends a lot on the launch. Screw it up and all you'll see is the other guys taillights at the end.

Yep.. That's pretty much what I thought. Thanx

My 1998 1200 Bandit was quicker in the 1/4 mile than my FZ1 and took much less work to launch hard. Stock my Bandit dynoed in at 98 hp. With a slip on it jumped to 110 hp. With adjusted jetting and air box mods power jumped to 131 hp but torque jumped to just below 100 ft./lbs. With a full exhaust added it went to 138 hp. With the 1216cc kit, degreed cams, and mild head work it is at 148 hp but over 100 ft./lbs. I love my Bandit.

Having owned a 1998 GSF1200S, and currently riding an 08 FZ1-N ABS, I would say stock Vs stock, the FZ1 would easily beat a Bandit.

I had a carbon fibre race can on my Bandit, this does free up a lot of power, most of the restiction is due to the standard can, removing the standard can and fitting a straight through race can frees up about 15bhp.

The FZ1 would still beat a Bandit with a freer flowing can.

My 1998 1200 Bandit was quicker in the 1/4 mile than my FZ1 and took much less work to launch hard. Stock my Bandit dynoed in at 98 hp. With a slip on it jumped to 110 hp. With adjusted jetting and air box mods power jumped to 131 hp but torque jumped to just below 100 ft./lbs. With a full exhaust added it went to 138 hp. With the 1216cc kit, degreed cams, and mild head work it is at 148 hp but over 100 ft./lbs. I love my Bandit.

40hp more and approx 17lbs of torque whit complete system and jetting a really good job .Don't change u'r mechanic.
But just 10 hp more for head work, dial cams and big bore it's not enought .

At one point, with mild headwork and Yosh cams the power went up to 155 hp. The problem was it didn't suit the kind of riding I was doing with the bike. It now has a stock head and the stock cams, degreed in for a stronger lower end midrange pull and better fuel mileage. Now this bike pulls hard right off of idle and pulls really hard right up to 10,000 rpm. You can feel the power taper off after 9,000 rpm but quite frankly I am never up there during normal riding anyhow. My best 1/4 mile times were achieved shifting at 9,500rpm. Against my Busa, FZ1 and GSXR 1000, the Bandit will eat them in most real world riding type roll ons or races. Keep in mind, it's the torque that gets this bike going so well. If I could get my FZ1 to have the torque of my Bandit, or get my Bandit to handle as well as the FZ1 I would have the perfect bike.

As Tony said, getting a good jump is key. Because our bikes are manual and not automatic, slipping the clutch just right so the bike doesn't shoot out from under you or stall really takes a ton of practice. It will be interesting to see someone race one of those dual clutch automatic VFR1200's against the same bike which comes in standard as well. I would think the automatic would win but I don't know of course.

Now assuming you get a great roll on the other thing that I realize is very important is torque. My friend has an FJR with an electronic clutch so he just ticks through the gears with his fingers since there is no clutch lever on that bike: it does the clutching automatically and since I have ridden it a number of times I can tell you it does a good job. When we used to shootout from a light, me on my '09 FZ1 and him on the FJR, he's always get the jump on me and I believe that besides him not having to work the clutch his 90 some odd pounds of torque vs. my 70 some odd allowed him to make power immediately. I notice this on my C14 as well which has about 100 pounds of torque. With less torque and more horsepower per pound I believe the FZ1 will beat the FJR but you need a very experienced rider. Disclaimer: This is just Norm's musings, not fact.

I have owned three bandit 1200's and I must say they are excellent motorcycles. If it weren't for the better handling and the top end rush of the FZ1 I may still have one. My guess about stock for stock would be the bandit 7 out of 10 races only because it is so easy to ride. I have made many laps on the 1/4 mile and the bandit is one of the easiest to go fast on.

I've got both sitting in my shed as we speak.
The FZ1 is stock, apart from an Akrepovic can.
My Bandit has a straight through can, K&N and Dynojet kit pumping out 122bhp at the rear wheel. That along with one tooth off the front sprocket, and two on the rear, I'm sure gives the Bandit a short nose over the standing quarter.
85 miles to the tank full and much reduced top end make my Bandit an ideal track toy, for playing with crotch rockets, but none too good for every day road riding.

:icon_beer:

I hate to disagree with you but you must be on drugs.

Back