Fz1 v2.0

Howdy guys.. basically its a pain starting thread to thread trying to find the solutions to my questions, so I've decided to make this one thread for anyone else that might be looking to travel down the same road. Here is my goal: to take the yamaha FZ1 (2009) and essentially transform it into more of a sport-bike than sport touring. Yes, I know that if i wanted to ride a sport bike, i should have bought one. but the circumstances didnt allow.. so what suggestions would you guys have first in say.. moving the rider's position? Risers.. rearsets.. etc. any help would be great!

Proper suspension and brakes should be first. Then get the random stuff like rear sets, and when you are comfortable with the power get the stuff to gain some extra HP. Also, changing the front sprocket to a 16t will be fantastic and super cheap.

I personally am happy with the power so I did cosmetics and suspension and some creature comforts.

I do have the 16T just haven't installed it yet.. so far I have a TRC slip, CD screen, debating putting on full fairings, and integrated tail/proton front blinkers. How and where would you go to change the suspension?

Toss on that 16T as you don't need a new chain or anything, it just fits right in there. Makes a HUGE difference. Your speedo will be incorrect though unless you get a speedoDRD or SpeedHealer.

As far as suspension, you have a few options. Send out your stock forks to Lee at Traxxion Dynamics, get a set of 04-06 R1 forks and brakes, or go for the 07-08 R1 forks and brakes. I would shy away from 09+ on the R1 forks though as they have been known to crack at the bottoms where the pinch bolts go for the axle, and they are way under sprung for the R1, let alone the FZ1.

I personally went for the 08 stuff, and if I ever feel the need to I will have Lee do the Ak-20 treatment to them but honestly I am very happy with them the way they are.

Rear shock seems to be the Penske 8983 from Lee as well, as the rear shock is the crap point of out bike. Some use the 8900E Penske and like that as well. That one is a bit more budget minded but still around 600. The 8983 has a remote mounted reservoir and the fluids inside the shock body do not mix at all, so the shock will not fade. That one is around 800.

Full fairings are nice, I almost did those. I opted for the OEM belly pan and am very happy with my decision.

Blinker wise, Protons or Watsen Design will make you very happy. Both are VERY bright and well made pieces.

You will want shorter risers for sure.

Where can you get them from? (for an 09) and geno that all sounds good! Once i fill alittle bit more of my bank account up.. def will be looking into that. Are there are sub-500$ mods that would help out? And are there economically efficient rearsets?

Honestly I cannot make an educated comment on the rear sets as I don't have them. I felt mine were fine for me with the FZ6 footpeg rubbers. Plus since it is a 10, they came in black so they are asthetically pleasing to me.

I totally understand you on the bank account issue!

I want to say Suzuki SV650 Risers work well. But somoene will have to add in on that for ya.

Get the speedoDRD from MotoMummy.com, they are liek 65 or 70 and everything on that site is free shipping. That will help a lot with you having the 16T up front. I personally cannot handle having the wrong speed showing, its a pet peeve of mine.

The beauty of using the 04-06 R1 front end is that you can use your stock FZ1 rotors, as they are both 320MM. Also, they are a LOT cheaper than the 07+ stuff. You can also use your stock Master Cylinder if you would like, most rock the R1 MC but due to both sets of calipers being 4 piston, lot of people stick with the stocker. Meaning you would just be changing out the forks and calipers, and bolting everything back up. So you would only need the forks, calipers, front axle, the 4 pinch bolts, and 4 caliper bolts. You could even use your stock FZ1 brake lines until you decide to later upgrade the MC and go to SS lines.

Just realize, when you swap the front end over if you do.. IT drops it about 16mm in the front, so it will steer VERY fast compared to stock. Took me a while to get used too, but now I really like it.

Yamaha R1 - Front Forks (2006) | eBay

04 05 06 YAMAHA R1 FRONT CALIPERS #160 | eBay

You get the idea. I hunted around until I found the right deals on everything. But it can be done on the cheap. Easiest way is something like this, but wait to find a complete nose off an R1 at a better deal. For 600+ you can get an 07+ setup if you find the right deals.

04 05 06 Yamaha R1 Front End Forks | eBay

Edit: Also, something simple that slipped my mind. TIRES. You would be amazed what a proper set of sport bike tires will do for you. My Q2's never cease to amaze me and I don't push them nearly as hard as I could.

Last edited:
Hi! First of all a stock fz1 need sport rear footstep because when you need turn fast her steps touch the ground before yours kneeds! Second rubber fluid brakes tubes cant do a track day without fading generation. Third rear monoshock is very far from a sport one.. This is the absolutly necessary.. From here depend from your use.. I changed front disc brake because the stock set is to slim for track and after few laps goes on crises for hier temperature..front fork can be better changing fluid and springs..cheaper than a complete cartridge but depende ever from what you want do with your bike.. If you brake hard on tracks an antidump cluth give a really better feeling and after little time you can made really nice ''derapage''on turn entry without dumping and without back brake use.. I love my quickshift usefull on every days road to. Air filter,inj module,exoust....depend only from you.. Race brake's pads are unusefull if you don't do races and absolutly dangerous on the road where never brakes for lower temp..

The SV's will lower about a inch and keep the same front to back position. Use caution with tank clearance. Google Thor bars, I have not used them but are very adjustable. I think bar position should be last. As Ridges and PapaGeno stated focus on suspension first then go from the ground up. Pegs touch down quickly luckily the fold. Krispy just let the road bevel his. For now do the washer mod and remove the feelers.

I have the SV risers with the stock bar, mine are roughly 1/8" from hitting the tank at full lock. I did the washer mod too, much better. Full lowers, short CD screen, removed the centerstand. I put a 16t front on and could never go back to stock.....
IMG00127-20110518-1348.jpg

I wish i could go straight to switching out the fork/suspension and all.. but im on a tight budget (military) plus im heading out soon so i don't really plan on buying upgrades that would take a while (like sending out my forks).. any suggestions on quick, relatively cheaper mods that i could enjoy for the next couple weeks? p.s. im bookmarking this page, planning to def do all the expensive stuff when im back!

Gut the cat, cut the air box(replace airfilter) descreen stock airfilter, Washer mod on the pegs, Plug the AIS. These are mostly free and will only cost you time. Zip tie flies or cut them down, Blind Spot fuel line mod.

And thank you for serving.........

Back