FZ1 Sputters & Surges at low speed?

I'm new to the FZ1 forum so Hello from Tampa! I bought my 2001 FZ1 about a month ago on consignment so I didn't get a lot of questions answered, but the bike was super clean and wasn't your typical crotch rocket so I had to have it. Everything appears to be stock except for a Yoshimura RS-3 slipon. I've read in other areas of this forum that the sputtering and surging might be caused by the stock carb settings and the after market exhaust. I'm not totally opposed to jetting the carbs but would like to hear some options for getting rid of the low speed sputter and surge as it makes me slightly nervous on low speed corners. I'm also not adventurous enough to jet the carbs myself so was wondering if anyone knew how much this would cost to get done at a shop? Thanks in advance for any help.

I would recommend going to the auto parts store and buying some Seafoam. It is a chemical addative that u put in ur gas tank. Simple directions on the back of the bottle.
This will clean out your crabs and chase out any bad gas - all for under $10!! LOL. You can't beat that!!!
This cheap fix can also help u to rule out other stuff.
Good luck and contrats!!! You have an amazing bike and a lot of smart people who like to help out and answer questions for u. :cheers:

Last edited:
Welcome to the board and congrats on your new ride. I own an 01' as well and when I bought it I had the same situation. I had a D&D slipon with stock jetting and also had the 3K RPM stutter. I had no lagging but didn't like the dead spot especially when I was in NY traffic. I myself, paid to have the carbs jetted and it cost me $300 dollars. That was bringing the bike in and having them remove the carbs. I'm sure had I removed them myself and brought them in, it would have been cheaper.

Now that I have taken the carbs off once for cleaning, I would just buy the kit and do it myself. The biggest hurdle is getting them off the bike. The easy part is doing the jetting. It's like anything else, once you do it a couple of times, it gets easier to do.

If you were going to do it on your own, "VA Rider" could probably help you out with a parts list as he has done this a few times.

I'd recommend a tune up with a carb sync before you begin messing with the jets. That way you have a solid baseline to work from. Otherwise you may end up chasing a lot of geese.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Back