fz1 quad! tech questions

02 fz1

So im back looking for help from you pros! 1st question is can I run my own custom exhaust? Meaning cut it and reroute from the head? Straight pipe. And pod filters? What will I lose or hurt by doing this? Again its a full custom build in a quad so im flexible. Thanx!!!!

It's your machine, so if you have the machining/building capability to do your own exhaust and intake, you can give it a try. However, it would be almost a sure bet that you'll also be modifying your fueling to make it run right. Usually a mod on only the intake or exhasut can squeeze by without a big hazzle on the fueling but when you drastically change both you'll need some kind of reworking of the fuel mixing or risk either blowing it up or having a machine that will barely run.

I take it its a gen 1 if your thinking of pods? I woudn't change the exhaust or intake on a gen 1 if its going in a quad. That bad boy would need a drastic sprocket change from what the bike has that and a speedo tuner, well unless you plan on going 150mph + on it then I could see the need for more power. Then agian im no pro just thinking logic

It is a genI. Its not that I need more power its just more realistic for clearances to keeping the stock look. Im running a 15t front and 46t rear. I. Just don't want to lose any low or mid range power. Or hurt the motor from running lean or anything else.

i will post some pics for you guys 2day or 2morrow! i ride the dunes alot and i usually bore my motors and getting a couple seasons out of them before they blow isnt fun anymore!!! i ride pretty hard and ive heard great things about the fz1. my family and neighbors own them. genI and genII. i never can have enough power so this is the way to go!!!!! with normal maintenance i should be able to ride the piss out of this thing and it be fine!!!!:cowboy:

i will post some pics for you guys 2day or 2morrow! i ride the dunes alot and i usually bore my motors and getting a couple seasons out of them before they blow isnt fun anymore!!! i ride pretty hard and ive heard great things about the fz1. my family and neighbors own them. genI and genII. i never can have enough power so this is the way to go!!!!! with normal maintenance i should be able to ride the piss out of this thing and it be fine!!!!:cowboy:

Nice! Is it a Yamaha-based quad you're working with? Gotta be one helluva monster with the FZ1 engine pushing it! :tup:

Most of the time for pods, you're looking at going up to at least a 150/155 main jet... along with shimming the needles up a mm , turning the air screws to 3.5 turns, and setting the float height to 14.5mm... you might need to go up a size on the pilot jets as well, but that will depend on the final exhaust and intake setup... for pods in the dunes, i'd recommend running a filter "sock" over them... to keep the finer particulates out...

The easiest route may actually be to call up Marc at FactoryPro... he makes a wonderful stage 3 jet kit with pods... and he'd be more than willing to spend some time talking with you about a one-off application like this...

--- Mobile

Most of the time for pods, you're looking at going up to at least a 150/155 main jet... along with shimming the needles up a mm , turning the air screws to 3.5 turns, and setting the float height to 14.5mm... you might need to go up a size on the pilot jets as well, but that will depend on the final exhaust and intake setup... for pods in the dunes, i'd recommend running a filter "sock" over them... to keep the finer particulates out...

The easiest route may actually be to call up Marc at FactoryPro... he makes a wonderful stage 3 jet kit with pods... and he'd be more than willing to spend some time talking with you about a one-off application like this...

--- Mobile

Thanks va rider!!!! That was alot of help!!!!

I didn't realize that those Raptors were so big. The FZ1 motor looks miniature in that frame! Looks good so far, I'm just worried about the weld points. I see blue colored paint all the up to the weld point. All that paint should really be ground down to bare metal for a good bond. I'm in no way trying to rain on your parade, I just want you to be safe once your tearing around on it. Keep the photos coming!

i cut the bottom of the frame out and the front to make more room. its just tacked up in those pics. i used a 110 welder with innershield wire. ill be adding gussets this weekend and welding it fully out with either tig or flux core with 75% mix. believe me i dont want to get hurt either! unless its balls out! haha!! im an ironworker by trade so should be ok. ive lifted a 287,000 pound tank with less weld!!!!!

Back