FZ1 or Kawasaki ninja 1000

depends on what you're doing with each bike. they're in the same category, but not really. i bought the fz1 over a z1000 cuz it fits my needs better, but my track bikes a zx10r, so its just about what you want. they're both awesome bikes, go for test rides/sit on em to decide what you like better

Oooo, streetfigher 848. What a great looking bike!

The local Duc shop is next door to Northern Tool (one of my favorite shops), so I stopped by to look. The Streetfighers are great looking bikes, and the newer ones are supposed to require less maintenance. The fit and finish on Ducs is really first rate. The hardware is top notch, and the build quality is about perfect.

I sat on the Panigale. Wow, what a tight bike, about the size of my R6. The salesperson ask if I wanted to test ride it, but I had my son with me. Maybe on of these weekends I'll take it for a spin.

View attachment 11379

Valve adjustment very 15K if I can remember well. And they have the yellow one too!!! The price is quite attracting too for a top of the line Bike.

http://youtu.be/uxm4iMRqyDc

Oooo, streetfigher 848. What a great looking bike!

The local Duc shop is next door to Northern Tool (one of my favorite shops), so I stopped by to look. The Streetfighers are great looking bikes, and the newer ones are supposed to require less maintenance. The fit and finish on Ducs is really first rate. The hardware is top notch, and the build quality is about perfect.

I sat on the Panigale. Wow, what a tight bike, about the size of my R6. The salesperson ask if I wanted to test ride it, but I had my son with me. Maybe on of these weekends I'll take it for a spin.

View attachment 11379

Then you will come back raving all about it and trade your tuono for one ;) ;)

Having just ridden over 375 miles with one of the riders on a Ninja 1000, I can tell you they are quick where it counts. I was being pulled by several bike lengths out of turns and taking it to redline and the Ninja was not getting closer. It has superior power for mountain roads. The bike also looked planted much of the time. The rider is an ex 2006 modded FZ1 owner. He says the brakes were not as good as the FZ1. The bike seems to handle as well or better than the FZ1.

Having just ridden over 375 miles with one of the riders on a Ninja 1000, I can tell you they are quick where it counts. I was being pulled by several bike lengths out of turns and taking it to redline and the Ninja was not getting closer. It has superior power for mountain roads. The bike also looked planted much of the time. The rider is an ex 2006 modded FZ1 owner. He says the brakes were not as good as the FZ1. The bike seems to handle as well or better than the FZ1.

Did you ride with Squidlius? If so, his FZ1 was a lemon, LOL

I used to have a 2010 Z1000 which I bought new. I let it go about six months ago when I was tired of the payment and the insurance ($90/mo), given I had only ridden it 4000 miles in a year, compared to 10,000 miles on my DR650.

I loved the bike, but I couldn't justify it anymore for several reasons... only got 35 mpg and it needed 91 octane gas. Seat very uncomfortable. Riding position not great at all, even after installing a custom-made riser and footpeg lowering blocks. Wind protection was horrible even with aftermarket screen. Gas tank size only 4 gallons (120 mile range). It felt heavier than the 480 wet weight it was supposed to have.

Upsides were it's GORGEOUS (way better looking than the Ninja 1000, IMO), the motor has unbelievable torque right off of idle.

So I let it go.

A few weeks ago, I picked up a Gen1 FZ1 from a riding buddy (you may recall the thread I posted here about it). LOVE that bike. In so many ways, it's better than the Z1000. Better riding position, 5.6 gal gas tank, damn near FIFTY MPG, insurance is all of $50/mo now for ALL THREE of my bikes instead of $90/mo for just the one. Sure the motor is "weaker" down low but it doesn't have the twitchy nature that the Z's EFI has. Rev it though and holy crap it takes off.

Now... granted this thread is about the current-gen FZ1 versus the Ninja 1000. IMO the insurance cost is the killer. If it wasn't for that, I'd get the Ninja because of the killer motor and larger gas tank. Not to mention better wind protection, very nice gauges, and because, well, the FZ1 is way overdue for a refresh. But again -- the insurance is the killer. WTF was Kawi thinking?

Edit: There is a Versys 1000 coming in 2013 if you can wait... check the Kawasaki Canada site for pix and specs. Same motor as the Ninja 1000, slight re-tuning for even more low-end, similar pricing.

Rob

I think I have decided on the FZ1!!!!!! Now I need to find a leftover for a good price. I see they still have the 3.9% and offering 750 on 09-11 and 300 on 2012
I sent a couple emails out to dealers on Tues and no responses yet? No wonder they have leftovers. One Kawasaki dealer told me bike sales are down 60%, most people that wanted a bike have bought you would think they would be ready to move stock but some showrooms just ignore you when you are walking around.
Thanks for your help guys!!!!!!!

For me it was simple really.... I got a 2nd-hand FZ1 for half the price of a new Ninja 1000 (Z1000SX in the UK), and I save more by being able to work on the bike myself without voiding a warranty. I'm also free to treat the bike as a project which is half the fun of owning a bike.

I previously owned a Tiger 1050 which I bought new and I felt uncomfortable modifying it as it was under warranty. And boy did that bike NEED modification!

Comment about insurance? States differ with their rules/laws, even within the same insurance company. Liberty Mutual charges based on what the state allows. Here in NH, it is based on the engine size alone. It doesn't matter what the style of bike is. Because the z1000 is >1000 cc's the cost of insuring is MUCH greater than the FZ1 at 998 cc. Because Yamaha keeps their numbers lower than the "model size" this is what we report to the insurance.

As another example, when I owned the FZ6 (92 hp), the insurance was around $210 for the year. My wife owned a new Suzuki S40 Boulevard, a one-lung 650 cc thumper with all of 30 HP... because hers was a 650, her insurance for a small cruiser was $340 per year.

As always, when looking at buying any bike, call the insurance agent first and ask what it would cost to insure for a year and always remember to specify EXACTLY what the manufacturer's CC size is. If I'd have told them the FZ1 was a 1000, I'd have paid dearly. Instead, I emailed the agent a link to the specs page at Yamaha.

Last? FZ1 FTW!

Khaotik, How does the Tiger 1050 compare to the FZ1? I'm asking because a buddy of mine that is 'seriously' thinking of buying one over a FZ1. He's riden my modified '08 is (Ohlin/Russell Day Long/Givi V35's/1.5" higher bars/manually adjustable windscreen/etc----yes, its set up for 'sport-touring'), but's got a 'woodie' for the Tiger.

Thanks.

Khaotik, How does the Tiger 1050 compare to the FZ1? I'm asking because a buddy of mine that is 'seriously' thinking of buying one over a FZ1. He's riden my modified '08 is (Ohlin/Russell Day Long/Givi V35's/1.5" higher bars/manually adjustable windscreen/etc----yes, its set up for 'sport-touring'), but's got a 'woodie' for the Tiger.

Thanks.

I had a tough time with the Tiger. The main issues are buffeting and suspension.

I tried 5 or 6 different screens but I could not reduce the buffeting to acceptable levels, and it's bad! For a touring bike this is unforgiveable as I found it very tiring. And it's not a predictable buffeting so I could not brace myself against it - my head was literally thrown around. The best I could do was buy a cut-down sports screen and run with more wind and less buffeting. The FZ1 by comparison has much less buffeting, well within tolerable levels.

The suspension has been improved in 2012 apparently. Mine was a 2010 model. Both ends we're tall and extremely soft resulting in a pogo effect. I rode around the poor suspension so moving to the FZ1 was a huge improvement, although I'm planning to make changes to the FZ1 anyway.

In stock form the Z1 spanks the FZ1, i was really impressed with the motor heaps of midrange torque which is great for sport road riding. A fully Ivanized FZ1 will hold its own but how much $$$. With the Kwaka revalve the stock suspension, slip-ons and your done, IMO go for the Z1.

I've got about $7.5K into my GenII including purchase of a used bike and all the upgrades in my signature. What kind of Kawi are you going to get for that price? . . . .Best thing about the GenII is that it has been around a good while and a quality used bike can be had for little $. Sprinkle on a good chunk of change for some much needed performance upgrades as well as improvements to utility, comfort and bling and you can have a machine that out performs anything close to its price point. IMHO it makes no sense to buy a new GenII (even at leftover pricing) when there are better new bikes to buy (comparing stock to stock) and considering the abundance of used genII bikes in the market that can be had at half the price. Yamaha's improvements to the GenII over the years are minimal at best . . .

I've got about $7.5K into my GenII including purchase of a used bike and all the upgrades in my signature. What kind of Kawi are you going to get for that price? . . . .Best thing about the GenII is that it has been around a good while and a quality used bike can be had for little $. Sprinkle on a good chunk of change for some much needed performance upgrades as well as improvements to utility, comfort and bling and you can have a machine that out performs anything close to its price point. IMHO it makes no sense to buy a new GenII (even at leftover pricing) when there are better new bikes to buy (comparing stock to stock) and considering the abundance of used genII bikes in the market that can be had at half the price. Yamaha's improvements to the GenII over the years are minimal at best . . .

I totally agree with you...a used Gen II makes a lot of sense, unless you absolutely need to have a new bike with warranty.

I totally agree with you...a used Gen II makes a lot of sense, unless you absolutely need to have a new bike with warranty.

Without an extended warranty unlike cars that stupid 1 yr warranty doesn't make sense too!

But you got to praise Kawasaki. They are the most progressive jap m/c company. They do offer standard 2-3 year warranties on the ZX10R and C14

The kawi has better looks IMO. That said I just believe yamaha to be a better manufacturer. I have 14000 miles and my bike still looks brand new and runs like the day I bought it.

Both bikes are fast, I hear that the kawi has some wobble at 120 mph. FZ at any speed is supper smooth.

Back