FZ1 or Kawasaki ninja 1000

Had thought I wanted a FZ1 and then I go to Kawasaki dealer and see a ninja1000 and the z1000 now I just don't know.
I know this is The FZ1 forum and many may be bias and maybe should be but what do you guys think?
All about the same price don't know what the new Kawasaki rates and rebates are.
If I don't decide real quick the season will be over!!!!!!!!!

The newest FZ1s have great fuel mileage and performance without mods, but if you like to tinker, or if you prefer the most versatility, the FZ1 is for you. Of the 2 Kawasakis, I like the z1000 myself

There are reviews on You Tube you can look at. For my taste there is too much plastic on the Ninja, although I have owned one in the past. The riding positions will be similar.

The deciding factor for me would be the best deal, although prices being the same I would choose the FZ1 because it is slightly more refined IMHO. I think it looks better too instead of a generic rice rocket. You can't go wrong with either bike, but look for a new leftover model from 2009-2011 that is still in the crate. You will save $1000s.

There are reviews on You Tube you can look at. For my taste there is too much plastic on the Ninja, although I have owned one in the past. The riding positions will be similar.

The deciding factor for me would be the best deal, although prices being the same I would choose the FZ1 because it is slightly more refined IMHO. I think it looks better too instead of a generic rice rocket. You can't go wrong with either bike, but look for a new leftover model from 2009-2011 that is still in the crate. You will save $1000s.
Thanks
I am waiting to see what yamaha and kawasaki does for rebates and loan rates as they expired yesterday. Thats what I was wondering is the yamaha just a better built bike?
I think the yamaha will be a little cheaper to buy.

i had the zx900r ninja, good bike and 2 of my mates have them, i test rode the kawasaki z1000sx, couldnt wait to get off it to be honest, had no confidence while cornering on it, straight line speed was good, suspension way too soft,
had my fz1 for 2 months now and its the best bike i have had, does everything, but its ok looking at youtube and getting other peoples views, but the only way you will know is test riding them in a short space of time , and for longer then an hour on each bike,

They are both great bikes and you can't really go wrong with either. One is not better than the other but they are different and have advantages in certain areas.
I had a tough time deciding between the two. The FZ1 is not offered with anti lock brakes in the USA but that is an option on the Ninja for 2012.
The Ninja also offers much better low and mid range performance and the FZ1 is stronger in the higher rpm range.
Personally I did not care for the looks of the Ninja and bought the FZ1. If anti-lock brakes were available for the Ninja a year ago I may have went the other direction. Many people dont care for ABS on bikes but I'm sure they offer a better safety margin in a true panic situation.

Plenty of reviews are available online, youtube, magazines and so on.

How will you use the bike ?? Sport touring, sport riding , commuting.... ???
If you like an engine with low to mid range power the Ninja is a good choice.
The FZ1 feels better when your in the higher rpm range.
What other bikes have you owned and ridden ??

I do know one thing for sure. Insurance on the Ninja 1000 is going to be triple of the FZ1.

They were dumb and put the word "Ninja" on that bike, so its insurance is of that of a super sport.

Thats odd. For me to register my FZ1 it was like 600 a year. For the same coverage on the same year R1 or Ninja 1000 it was about 1500 more.

Maybe it is just my area?

Thats odd. For me to register my FZ1 it was like 600 a year. For the same coverage on the same year R1 or Ninja 1000 it was about 1500 more.

Maybe it is just my area?

Probably different all over the US. Up here, our insurer only prices by engine size and you would pay the same for a 180hp 1000 or a 50hp 1000

FZ1 is an overall better rounded bike even if it weaker in the low midrange. But with some mods it is as good if not better than a modded Ninja 1000 while providing more features, fit and finish and very few problems. Ninja has its share of issues with suspension, weight and the gearbox. Lot of people on riderforums are having issue with the gearboxes. Few things that irritate me about the ninja are the weird angle of the bars, vibrations, no centerstand, poor passenger seat, weight, single headlight, less legible gauges and 1/2 assed front suspension adjustment, poor handling. I have a thread comparing two here. http://www.998cc.org/forum/non-fz1-motorcycle-section/10252-ninja-1000-test-ride.html Otherwise it looks awesome!

Last edited:
I would like ABS which FZ1 does not offer, and Ninja 1000 does. So I would buy the Ninja.

But if the FZ1 offered ABS, I would take the FZ1.

However I do remember reading about a guy on one of the forums who bought the Ninja 1000 and was shocked at the price of insurance. Best check with "YOUR" insurance company first because they all differ.

Read the post below and it's following conversation at this link:

http://www.riderforums.com/3rd-gen-...0/63987-insurance-ninja-1000-really-high.html

"Insurance for Ninja 1000 is really high?
I went to the local Kawasaki dealer to pick up a can of chain lubricant and went bonkers for the new Ninja 1000. After 30 minutes I was ready to put hard cash down on the bike but decided against it because I have no idea what insurance cost is on the bike.

I'm glad I didn't buy the bike because I just got home and ran a quote on various insurance sites. I'm getting quotes with ranges of $1034 - $2200 per year!! I have a 2 year clean riding record and 8 years clean cage record. I called up State Farm why my quote was $2200.00 per year and was told that the Ninja 1000 is an ultra high sport performance bike....I am so confused now. Kawasaki labels it as somewhat a mixed between the Z1000 and a sport tourer. It's also part of the "sport" line up and not the "super sport". I really like the bike but I cannot afford $1000-$2200 per year.

What is everyone paying in insurance on this bike? Thanks.

P.S. Currently own an 09 650R and paying only $320 per year for comprehensive coverage."................................................

Last edited:
Concerning insurance I would check multiple company's and be sure your getting a price for a Ninja 1000 and NOT a ZX-10R Ninja 1000.

Some insurance agents may confuse the 2 models or some insurance companies may not differentiate between the two .

My biggest gripe with the Z1000/Ninja 1000 was engine vibration. FZ1 feels smoother and there was no reason for Kawasaki not to address that issue when they did that engine.

To me the Kawi has that plasticy, Japanese look to it. I'm sure the bike is fine, but who am I to talk as my bike looks like a Transformer from the front!

On insurance you really have to shop around. On my new bike I had quotes as high as $2,200. I ended up at $275. Because the bike was brand new in the US the key was ensuring the insurance company knew it was a 999cc bike, and we selected Aprilia, "other" vs. trying to put into the old Tuono at 1000cc. That got us into the sweet spot for pricing.

Personnally I wish Yamaha would update the FZ1, it's getting a little long of tooth. For that matter all of the Japanese mfg have been pretty boring since about 2008, with a few exceptions.

To me the Kawi has that plasticy, Japanese look to it. I'm sure the bike is fine, but who am I to talk as my bike looks like a Transformer from the front!

On insurance you really have to shop around. On my new bike I had quotes as high as $2,200. I ended up at $275. Because the bike was brand new in the US the key was ensuring the insurance company knew it was a 999cc bike, and we selected Aprilia, "other" vs. trying to put into the old Tuono at 1000cc. That got us into the sweet spot for pricing.

Personnally I wish Yamaha would update the FZ1, it's getting a little long of tooth. For that matter all of the Japanese mfg have been pretty boring since about 2008, with a few exceptions.

Agree with you. The FZ1 is a top contender for me. It's a very solid bike that seams to do everything right... and it's a Yamaha! But it's way over due for an update.

Not ready to get something yet ($$$ wife is full time student) but I've been riding my Boss 93 Ducati 907 IE. Not quite a bad a$$ ride for today's standard, but I'm digging the L twin. I've been watching You Tube video and read a few review on the Streetfighter 848... Hummm.... very tempting! The whole Desmo valve thing... over rated! I just did the valve adjustment on the bike... (first time for me) and it's a joke. Ok, shim kit was $300.00 but I could have bought only the shims that I needed (2 exhaust valve only on the opening side). Super easy...

The tolerance are crazy tight... but quite easy to get there. For me the maintenance won't be a deal cutter.

Oooo, streetfigher 848. What a great looking bike!

The local Duc shop is next door to Northern Tool (one of my favorite shops), so I stopped by to look. The Streetfighers are great looking bikes, and the newer ones are supposed to require less maintenance. The fit and finish on Ducs is really first rate. The hardware is top notch, and the build quality is about perfect.

I sat on the Panigale. Wow, what a tight bike, about the size of my R6. The salesperson ask if I wanted to test ride it, but I had my son with me. Maybe on of these weekends I'll take it for a spin.

View attachment 11379

Last edited:
Back