Fz1 or fz-09?

Why don't you tell us a bit about how the bike will be used?

Marthy (forum member) owns FZ09 and loves it so far, but I don't think he owned Gen II FZ1.

They're both great bikes, but my decision would be based on what I wanted the bike to do.

Benefits of FZ1: wind protection, higher speed stability, hard luggage compatibility, loads of aftermarket parts.

Benefits of FZ09 (strictly on paper.. I've yet to ride one): MUCH lighter, potentially more flickable and all around fun. It may actually feel like it has more pull at lower RPM since it's so much lighter and has plenty of low end torque.

Why don't you tell us a bit about how the bike will be used?

Marthy (forum member) owns FZ09 and loves it so far, but I don't think he owned Gen II FZ1.

They're both great bikes, but my decision would be based on what I wanted the bike to do.

Benefits of FZ1: wind protection, higher speed stability, hard luggage compatibility, loads of aftermarket parts.

Benefits of FZ09 (strictly on paper.. I've yet to ride one): MUCH lighter, potentially more flickable and all around fun. It may actually feel like it has more pull at lower RPM since it's so much lighter and has plenty of low end torque.
Would use it for commuting and sort rides with my wife. Which I guess the fz1 would be a better ride for her.

I can't tell much about the FZ1 (unfortunately) but the 09 is a sweet ride. It all come down on what you need and what you will be using the bike for. Just to bang around town, short commute and ripping twisties under 100 MPH on one wheel (first 3 gears), the FZ-09 is for you.

If you need to go to over 100 MPH and go for a IBA saddle sore few times a year... the FZ1 will be a better choice in my opinion. But it's hard for me to compare.

All I got to say is the 09 is quite a badass machine under 100 MPH, just a blast to ride with plenty of torque about everywhere in the power band.

One last thing... 45-47 MPG @ 70 MPH cruising. Range: 140-150 miles if you milk it.

Front end spring rate is very soft. 6 turn preload = 35mm sag). Im 175 lbs and almost bottom out the fork on hard braking. Rear spring is about right for me. 3/7 on thr adjuster give me 28-30mm sag but damping sucks! All the way in on rebound and it could use some more... only adjustment.

My mod... will order a stiffer front spring with 10W oil at the front. Rear... working on it. (2008 ZX-10 triple clicker look like it might fit?) If not Penskee as something all figure out.

Thats about it I think... sound fantastic too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The new FZ is getting great reviews, but I need some kind of fairing. That is the only thing it really lacks other than quality brake lines and a center stand.

I think the FZ1 is a bit more refined plus a center stand, but no gear indicator and not taking anything away from a great first attempt by the FZ9. In a couple of years the FZ9 might be Yamaha's first or second best selling bike next to the R1 unless they bring a 250SS to market.

Last edited:
I can't tell much about the FZ1 (unfortunately) but the 09 is a sweet ride. It all come down on what you need and what you will be using the bike for. Just to bang around town, short commute and ripping twisties under 100 MPH on one wheel (first 3 gears), the FZ-09 is for you.

If you need to go to over 100 MPH and go for a IBA saddle sore few times a year... the FZ1 will be a better choice in my opinion. But it's hard for me to compare.

All I got to say is the 09 is quite a badass machine under 100 MPH, just a blast to ride with plenty of torque about everywhere in the power band.

One last thing... 45-47 MPG @ 70 MPH cruising. Range: 140-150 miles if you milk it.

Front end spring rate is very soft. 6 turn preload = 35mm sag). Im 175 lbs and almost bottom out the fork on hard braking. Rear spring is about right for me. 3/7 on thr adjuster give me 28-30mm sag but damping sucks! All the way in on rebound and it could use some more... only adjustment.

My mod... will order a stiffer front spring with 10W oil at the front. Rear... working on it. (2008 ZX-10 triple clicker look like it might fit?) If not Penskee as something all figure out.

Thats about it I think... sound fantastic too!

Hey Marthy, I would think twice about using thicker oil in the front forks. You want to stiffen them up, not slow them down.
I would stick with stock oil weight and heavier springs.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Hey Marthy, I would think twice about using thicker oil in the front forks. You want to stiffen them up, not slow them down.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Stiffer spring for sure. Heavier oil should give me a bit more damping. Someone already test it and it was an improvement. The fork have very little damping in bump and going up in weight seems to help a bit.

As suggested 10W if you ride smooth rode mostly, 7.5W if iys a bit more bumpy. But I could try the spring first...

Would use it for commuting and sort rides with my wife. Which I guess the fz1 would be a better ride for her.

I've sat on FZ9 and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to be a passenger on that bike. FZ1 is not bad for 2 up.. very little leg room for passenger, but the seat is comfortable and grab handles are very good.
Between that and commuting (IF your commute is mostly hwy), FZ1 *should* be a better choice.

Sent from my Nexus 5

+1

I have tried the heavier oil thing as suggested by people on forums all over and I have decided it is bunk from my experience. Many people have suggested even 20 w to cure a soft factory suspension but speaking to knowledgeable suspension tuners, that is not the way to go. As ballmead said, the stock valving isn't designed to flow oil so thick and you just slow your forks down. The only results I have ever had were a harsh, uncompliant ride and no response on rough roads.

Switching to stiffer springs and using stock weight oil seems to work much better for me. Upgraded valving makes this even better and allows you to run thicker oil as well I believe.

YMMV

Last edited:
Back