Fz1 oem tires any good?

Hey everybody i recently bought a leftover 2010 fz1 and was wondering if the dunlop sportmax d221 tires that came with it are any good? all the bikes i owned before my fz1 were sportbikes and i always used michelin pilot powers because most of my riding is spirited, i bought the fz1 more for sport touring so i dont need the same level of grip but still want decent rubber i was thinking of swapping them for michelin pilot 3s, any opinion on the tires would be appreciated.

I switched to Metzler Sporttec M3's. they might be a bit aggressive for what you want. I only got 5500km out of my first rear before the centre wore out, but that's almost 1000km more than my stock Dunlop. I'm sure there are longer lasting tires out there, but I am glad to sacrifice a bit of tire life to get good performance when I do feel like twisting the grip. There are a ton of tire threads on here; you could read about tires for days if you like. Bottom line, there are a lot of better tires than the stock Dunlops, for touring or sport riding.

They are ok, unless you want to throw money and get newer, better tires. I'd run them for awhile and if they bother you change them, but they may work for you in which case you save some money.

OEMs on 2008

I would lose grip a little when accelerating in a turn. Happened so much it no longer even made me nervous. :)

I have 6400 on my originals. I've braked to hard at red lights and got them to skip for about 20 feet, but it was probable MY inexperience. I am owner three. Owner two's sons are pro riders for Specialized Bikes. When they borrowed dad's FZ1 in the Auburn, CA foothills they really laid this thing over on the turns. Dad said the bike "stuck like glue." The sides of the back tire look like it.

:wtf:

I also could not wait wot replace the OEM tires. I thought they were bad, but I was too cheap to buy new ones right away. I'm the 2nd owner and the bike had 1600 miles when I got it. I changed out the stock tires with PR3's at 5500 or 6500 (sorry, I can't remember, I think it was 6500) and am pretty happy with them. I have 11,600 miles on the bike now. There might have been a little left in the stock tires, but I was happy to see them go.

I'm considering trying out the PP3's. I know they won't last too long, but I've never tried a really sticky tire, and would like to. I'm sure I'll go back to a PR3 just for the milage and they are awesome in the wet.

I guess if you're a cheap bastard like me, you can use them up (they aren't THAT bad), but if you can get some money out of the OEMs and trade up to the PR3's, that would be the thing to do IMO. :cheers:

Saying your riding style is spirited and being used to the zx10 you may want to try the pilot power 3's. Supposed to get great handling and still get pretty good mileage out of them. Just bought a set of bt023's so i'm going to use these up and see what kind of performance everyone get's out of the pp3's. Also a cheap bastard, lol. Going to let everyone else be the guinea pigs.

Yeah, like others are saying...they aren't too great. I have almost 6000 miles on mine, and the front tire is rashed out. Back still looks good, but I'm not going to change just the front. They both will go here pretty soon.

Use em up, but don't think that they are going to be great. If you are an experienced rider, you will find the limit rather easily. If not, then you should be taking it in a little at a time anyway. Good luck! Let us know which direction you go (keep the OEM's or switch em out asap)

They work well as wheel protectors.

They are fine for most street riding, if you turn up the heat get a better/newer tire.

Wow, that made me LOL pretty hard.

I feel that way about the PR2's though (rim protectors). I took it easy this afternoon and they were ok. But as soon as I go to push it and try to lean the bike over at all they start to feel like they step out on me. Front end wiggles and the back end feels like it wants to slide.

It's almost like an exercise in zen, I have to mentally slow down and relax to get better traction and speed out of those tires. The S20's I had before I felt I could thrash them and they would hold

DIY removal and Install

Yeah, like others are saying...they aren't too great. I have almost 6000 miles on mine, and the front tire is rashed out. Back still looks good, but I'm not going to change just the front. They both will go here pretty soon.

Use em up, but don't think that they are going to be great. If you are an experienced rider, you will find the limit rather easily. If not, then you should be taking it in a little at a time anyway. Good luck! Let us know which direction you go (keep the OEM's or switch em out asap)

Do you all take the wheels off the FZ1 yourself. Our local CG only mounts wheels you brought in (not on the bike). I guess I'll figure that out and try those Pilot 3 Sport Touring.

Thanks for the opinions guys i think ill give em a shot for at least the first thousand kms, the bikes new so it has to be broken no shifting above 7 grand so im probably limited to 130kmh in sixth gear so as long as they stick to the road im fine if i dont like them after i can push it a little ill get rid of them for pilot 3s.

Get rid of them ASAP, total junk. Not worth your life. In rain you will have no traction. I was driving one day in rain, locked up rear tire, then later same day as things were drying up lost traction with mild crack of the throttle at 80 mph.

Next trip on those tires was to mechanic to replace them.

i think i'm gonna use them up commuting to and from work, so far they're fine but i'm not going to push them. i'm used to a PR2 rear and a PP or PPP front combo, though i was running Q2 front/rear last time i went into the mountains. i'm thinking a Q2 front and a Roadsmart2 rear for my riding style.

Many, if not most, claim the D221's are crap, based upon what I have read. I'm still in the break-in phase, so not pushing it too hard, but the D221's seem pretty solid to me. The shop mechanic told me I'd get 10K miles from them and I sort of scoffed at his statement. ST tires don't usually have that long a life.

I'm sure I'll be looking at whatever the latest and greatest ST tires are in another season or two.

Back