FZ1 noise

troyw

Hey Folks,

I've got a new FZ1, and I went for a long ride yesterday and got to the 300 mile mark. When I came home, I changed out the oil because I noticed it was really getting dark already, and really was shifting notchy. Anyone else notice this on break-in?
Also, I noticed that the clutch would disengage not quite right away after I'd pull the clutch lever in, and a couple times putting it in first gear it would grind. And, as if that weren't weird enough, I notice some chain sounding noise at some lower rpm's, and when revving up to about 8k, then on decel at about 7k rpm's it sounded like a chain scraping or something. I brought it to the dealer to listen, and the guy said that at some points the cam chain gets a little slack, and thus a little noisy.
Anyone else have this experience? My recently departed FZ6 was pretty smooth during break-in, and didn't make these sounds, but it was kind of a noisy little engine. Maybe the oil in the motor was just pure garbage. Felt like it was oil just worn out. My VTX 1800 used to get like that right about the tail end of the oil change interval time.

- T.

Hi Troy and welcome to the site.
I think that After 300 miles you should put the bike to service and not change the oil yourself. As i know you might loose your warrenty if not acting likewise.
Another question, after the long ride did you put oil on the chain? it should smoothen the gear shifting.

enjoy your new bike it is an awsome machine.

Welcome Troy,

One thing I'm sue of is at 300 miles your oil is not worn out unless you were driving without any coolant or for some reason you were baking the engine. As far as oil changes go, in the great USof A they can't void your warranty because you changed your own oil and filter again, unless you got really way out and put some absurd oil and filter in and on. If, in fact you are hearing chain noise I'd be taking it to another dealer if the other one said that is normal.

I had the first oil change on my 07 at 600 miles. Mine was pretty dark too at somewhere around 250 miles, perhaps sooner. After reading all the oil threads I then went to the dealer and was willing to pay for an early oil change. He told me I didn't need it and he didn't want to take my money. How's that for an unusual dealer? He said doing the first change at 600 miles is fine and doing it any sooner is a waste of money. So that's what I did.

I passed the 1700 mile mark this weekend and the oil was really black again. So I had an oil change done now instead of waiting for 4000 miles as recomended in the manual. Nice to see the nice light brown color again in the viewport. The same dealer was happy to do it this time. It was a different guy working there this time.

After the oil change I took the long way home, about 50 miles. That 50 miles did make the oil a shade darker. Not much darker at all but kind of noticable.

As far as the clutch stuff goes, I didn't experience anything like that. Since it's new and under warranty I definitely would have brought it back to the dealer and insisted it gets fixed. Let us know what you find out.

Hey folks,

First, they can't void the warranty if I do an oil change myself. Never, ever would I go to the dealer for that. I don't trust them anyway. Second, is this "loose my warranty" because it's not tight? HA HA! Just bustin' ya FZ1IL.
I won't LOSE my warranty though, no.
The problem is that there's no other Yamaha dealers within an hour of me besides the one I bought my bike at. And, it's not the drive chain I'm talking about. It's a new bike, and everything should be within spec. The drive chain is all lubed, and tight enough. I'm talking about an internal chain noise, like a scraping sound. It could be just normal valve noise, but on that heavy deceleration around 7k, predictably, it doesn't sound 'right' to me. But, it does it every time, same place in 2nd and 3rd gear. The clutch thing does have me baffled, as I've never experienced that before either on any other bike. Usually it's pull in the clutch, it disengages right away. With this bike it takes a delayed half-second for the revs to drop. Weird.
If the bike had no coolant, wouldn't it overheat just riding it around? I just started it up with fresh oil, so once it cools down, I'll check the radiator. The reservoir is to the full mark, so that's fine. Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing. The bike is blazing fast and powerful, and I haven't even pushed it to the limit yet. Just some sounds and stuff I'm not familiar with. I'll ask them again, and maybe I'll get someone different this time.

Hey Folks,

I've got a new FZ1, and I went for a long ride yesterday and got to the 300 mile mark. When I came home, I changed out the oil because I noticed it was really getting dark already, and really was shifting notchy. Anyone else notice this on break-in?
Also, I noticed that the clutch would disengage not quite right away after I'd pull the clutch lever in, and a couple times putting it in first gear it would grind. And, as if that weren't weird enough, I notice some chain sounding noise at some lower rpm's, and when revving up to about 8k, then on decel at about 7k rpm's it sounded like a chain scraping or something. I brought it to the dealer to listen, and the guy said that at some points the cam chain gets a little slack, and thus a little noisy.
Anyone else have this experience? My recently departed FZ6 was pretty smooth during break-in, and didn't make these sounds, but it was kind of a noisy little engine. Maybe the oil in the motor was just pure garbage. Felt like it was oil just worn out. My VTX 1800 used to get like that right about the tail end of the oil change interval time.

It just happens to turn out you only live about 30 mintues from Blue Ridge GA. Thats where I'm at and where I ride most of the time. There are some awesome places to ride up here, if your not aware already.

I just broke mine in also. I noticed the oil getting dark also, but I waited till 600 miles to change mine for the first time. I think it has to do with what they put in it from the factory, probably just standard oil. Everything is just breaking in and the valves and pistons have to accomodate. However, I never had that problem with the clutch though. Mine is an 08.

Where did you buy your bike at?

Last edited:
Hey drclark,

I got my bike at Cycle Nation in Canton. I bought it new, and it's an 08 also. I now have about 3700 miles on it. Putting on the miles with a new, and much longer commute. I do ride in the Blue Ridge area as often as I can. I live in Jasper, so I take the back roads up over Burnt Mountain, through Ellijay and into Blue Ridge. Nice ride indeed.

The clutch on mine was a little weird. I've figured out that when I first start it up, and it's warming up I have to pull the clutch in and wait until the noise of the initial engagement stops, and it's fine. If I don't, it's a little tough to downshift for a while. It's weird, but I think it has something to do with its warmup. Otherwise, it's great. I just used Royal Purple 10w-40 the last oil change, and shifting is super smooth and the clutch works great. Temps are down about 10-15 degrees too.

Hey drclark,

I got my bike at Cycle Nation in Canton. I bought it new, and it's an 08 also. I now have about 3700 miles on it. Putting on the miles with a new, and much longer commute. I do ride in the Blue Ridge area as often as I can. I live in Jasper, so I take the back roads up over Burnt Mountain, through Ellijay and into Blue Ridge. Nice ride indeed.

The clutch on mine was a little weird. I've figured out that when I first start it up, and it's warming up I have to pull the clutch in and wait until the noise of the initial engagement stops, and it's fine. If I don't, it's a little tough to downshift for a while. It's weird, but I think it has something to do with its warmup. Otherwise, it's great. I just used Royal Purple 10w-40 the last oil change, and shifting is super smooth and the clutch works great. Temps are down about 10-15 degrees too.

I'm just curious as to whether or not youv'e checked the clutch cable free play. If so maybe the adjustment at the engine side. Maybe the cable isn't fully engaging the clutch.

Hey Folks,

- T.

Hi

You mentioned some chain sounding noise at some lower rpm's i have just bought a 08 fz1 with 158 mile on the clock it was a ex demo bike totally mint
I have to continue to run the engine in which i am doing i have noticed that
i am getting a chain sounding noise at some lower rpm's only going up the gearbox not coming down a sort of grinding or grounching noise which it does at random this is very annoying i have checked the chain adjustments seemed a little loose adjusted chain made no difference.
Seems to make these noises when you load the engine going up through the revs say in 3rd gear then applying more revs.
This same noise i use to hear on my suzuki 1000k7 which was due to the slipper clutch i understand the fz1 dosen't have a slipper clutch

i would say this noise is not coming from the engine itself but more gearbox , clutch area . :thinking: :thinking:

If anyone could help on this please

cheers sean

Hi

You mentioned some chain sounding noise at some lower rpm's i have just bought a 08 fz1 with 158 mile on the clock it was a ex demo bike totally mint
I have to continue to run the engine in which i am doing i have noticed that
i am getting a chain sounding noise at some lower rpm's only going up the gearbox not coming down a sort of grinding or grounching noise which it does at random this is very annoying i have checked the chain adjustments seemed a little loose adjusted chain made no difference.
Seems to make these noises when you load the engine going up through the revs say in 3rd gear then applying more revs.
This same noise i use to hear on my suzuki 1000k7 which was due to the slipper clutch i understand the fz1 dosen't have a slipper clutch

i would say this noise is not coming from the engine itself but more gearbox , clutch area . :thinking: :thinking:

If anyone could help on this please

cheers sean

Welcome Sean to the forum. I would not start worrying that much right now. As an 08' demo, I would assume that it spent alot of time on the floor and maybe outside. Before you go nuts, just remove the front sprocket cover to inspect the gear. If all looks well, give the chain a good cleaning with straight kerosene or WD-40, and then give it a good lubing. Check your tension and make sure its to spec and then run the bike for a while. I have found that this helps immensely with noises coming from what you think is the gearbox. Let us know how it goes. If you need pointers on chain cleaning, just type it into YouTube and watch some of the cleaning videos posted there. Its a quick, easy job which cures alot of noises.

oil changes

I bought my bike in 06, had an fz6 before so I was a little familiar with changing my oil. I have always changed my oil from the day after the 600 mile service. I have always used motul and a k&n oil filter. Never had any problems with shifting, it shifts like a dream. No ticking, no problems whatsoever. I change the oil at every 3000 mile interval. oil chain every other fillup. I do notice a little chain noise, put a new DID chain on with my 48 sprocket change and I still have a little chain noise. Nothing but good things to say about my bike.

The chain sound your talking about...... is it sounding like cam chains have broken in and are loose now? I was under the impression that the cam-chain tensioner was 'automatic' but then why would it have a bolt? I believe the bolt when loosened lets the tensioner fall into the new 'worn chain position' by just an 'nth and when you re-tighten the bolt it's set again untill streach and wear cause you to adjust again.

Nah...I don't even really notice it anymore. I've got almost 9k on it now, and it's running like a top. Royal Purple helped quiet it down, along with solving a clutch issue that bugged me for the first 3k miles. I was using Rotella T synth oil, which I've used in Hondas for years. But, this bike is more "picky", I guess. It's been fine for about 5k miles now.

Nah...I don't even really notice it anymore. I've got almost 9k on it now, and it's running like a top. Royal Purple helped quiet it down, along with solving a clutch issue that bugged me for the first 3k miles. I was using Rotella T synth oil, which I've used in Hondas for years. But, this bike is more "picky", I guess. It's been fine for about 5k miles now.

Yea, my bike didn't like the Rotella Synthetic too much either. Ran fine initially, but after a few hundred miles the shifting got progressively worse. Just threw some regular Valvoline motorcycle oil in this time around...

Back