Fz1 N 2009, having serious doubts

Hi friends, hope you can shed some light, or knock some sense in to me
I went to a dealership last week and saw a beautifull Fz1N on sale.
Brand new.
To put it in context, this is in Spain, and this year they have stopped shipping the FZ1 to Spain.
The deal is for Aprox 7,700€ (10,500 USD) and the 2013 version was selling for 10,000 € (13,600 USD)
My doubt comes, when i ask the manufacturing date, its from 2009, and obviously im kind of worried, why such an amazing bike can be 5 years without sale.
And also, will this time it has spent stopped affect its performance.
According to wikipedia the only major change is the ECU which has a slightler better performance at low-mid range.
Im in a bit of a dilema, what you guys think ?

Tks for reading, regards:icon_beer:

Hi Chucky,

the ECU update is nice to have but you should also think about other things. The tires on the 2009 model should be replaced they are 5 years old and they age even when only sitting on the shelf, of course less than under UV light but they do. The same is true for the coolant and the brake fluid. The rest of the bike should not have suffered much, given the bike was always indoors and not much exposed to the Sun. Personally I am careful of buying new models that sat for more than 1 or maybe 2 years. Usually that shows you that the model does not sell well and so you can try to negotiate the price down but usually then I go for a used model that you can get even much cheaper.

That said I would make sure that the warrenty is still valid and that she gets new fluids and tires and than it should be fine.

If you can get them to give you a good deal (you know what that would be for your country)and a new bike warranty I say go for it. Change the fluids, watch the tires and have fun. Japanese bikes are built to last a while.

That's a good way to get a brand new, unmolested bike cheap. Just do the tire stuff and change fluids - not a big deal. And you got a new bike!

I would not fret too much about the tires, as long as the bike was inside and not sitting in the sun they will be ok. You can ask him, of course, but he's probably pretty close to his cost, he just wants to break even and move on. I think asking the dealer to spend a few hundred dollars, plus labor, isn't the best way to go in this situation. Better to negotiate the best price and pocket the savings now, and then get new tires when these wear out. Fluids can easily be changed by the dealer as part of the sale.

A good dealer won't fill the bike with fluids until it is sold. Once you pay. They should put the oil and coolant in. Not sure on brake fluid.

in Europe we pay 30%more for about everything and than there's ~20% tax

7700E is not a bad price, does it have ABS?

I would ask for new tires & fluids and get it, in NL old stock fz1 goes around 9-10k (euro)

Hi Again.
They said they would change the fluids, but not the tires, i must say they dont appear in bad condition.
I think im gonna go with it.
Bank said i could get the $ was missing, so just got to make the call.
Hopefully i can be a productive member of this community.
Tks again for your help guys !!!

Did anyone mention the battery? I'd want to make sure that is new too. My original 2009 battery still works fine but I ride the bike and keep it on a battery tender in the winter.

After all i didnt go ahead with the purchase.
Once i had prepared the cash and sat down to sort out the paperwork i asked to see the bikes documentation and it was built in 2007, too much bullshit from this dealership.
I am keeping my eyes open for a second hand deal, but having to open up my mind to other posibilities.
Tks to all of you for your help/support

:-(

I don't blame you. I bet you can find some great deals on slightly used FZ-1s. I paid $4700 USD for my 2007 model with 3900 miles in 2010. Good luck!

Back