FZ1 ignition advance

You're replacing this guy:

prody63.jpg

The rotor.

Thanks Aaron. I guess you just have to have the marks inline when putting on the new one. I'm looking at the pictures and it doesn't look like anything is in the way of this piece.

Now I see the keyway so it looks like it would go on only one way.

nope.. nothing's in the way... it can be changed amazingly quick...

putting it back on, there's no lining anything up... the shaft has a woodruff key that fits in the slot on the inside of the rotor.

Ok, from the manual and I went out, pulled the cover and verified. The pickup rotor is behind the sprocket and the timing chain guides. See here from the manual. I should have taken a pic last night when I pulled the cover. Sorry!

attachment.php

attachment.php

You see the ends of the timing chain guides under this cover but they are a lot longer and extend up into the block nearly to the head. Now, I can do this and I am comfortable doing this mod but, I'm not going to attempt it until I am ready to spec the valve clearances, remove the AIS and put in Graves blockoff plates and change the plugs. That will likely be in Sept when I am home for a couple weeks taking care of my wife.

attachment.php

I spoke with Leigh tonight and he was under the impression it was as simple as the Gen I bike and not going to be such an involved job. I'm still going to do this but just not that soon, unless it is going to be a weekend of pouring rain! ;)

Thanks for calling Leigh! Nice talking to you!

This mod never got followed up...

Was it easy to do?
Did it work as promised?

I'm interested in doing this mod if its as simple as the GenI.

Back