fz1 engine question

Anyone know what needs to be done to a 06 FZ1 engine to make it as fast as its twin the R1??
thanks, steve.

Steve, while the FZ1 engine is based on the R1 one there are enough differences that it's not really possible to get the HP out of it to match the R1.

You can start with the basic mods such as slip-on exhaust (end can), modified air box w/ hi-flo filter, smaller sub-throttle plates and a Dynojet PC III or PC V to modify the fueling. Those mods with proper tune should net at least 140 RWHP...More mid-range power can be had by replacing the stock headers with a set of Arrow ones as well. Yoshimura also makes a complete exhaust system for the bike...

To my knowledge, the big differences are:

Complete intake including airbox, velocity stacks, subthrottle and throttle plates and fuel injection. CAM and crank along with timing and the entire exhaust system.

I don't think there is any way to make these items all fit inside the confines of the FZ1. You are better off to go get the R1 and mimic the ergonomics of the FZ1 by getting a SpieglerUSA handlebar conversion kit and adjustable rearsets. ;)

I'm not sure if you'll get all of the top end but I think you can get pretty close.

Off the top of my head you need:

1) mill the head .01"
2) mild port work
3) YEC head gasket, .035mm
4) full exhaust
5) flash the ECU
6) tune with a PC5
7) R1 cams
8) Velocity stacks

I suspect the majority of the gains will come from the head work.

They ended up with 146hp, 20 more than stock, so in Dyno Jet numbers that is about 168hp. Not bad at all.

I think the limiting factors will be on the induction side. The R1 throttle bodies are much more advance than the FZ1, and of course there is no ram air either.

Ultimate One | MC Project - Motorcyclist Magazine

Pete the biggest problem is that the FZ1 has a heavier crankshaft and I doubt it could turn the RPMs that the R1 could w/o self destructing. Still an FZ1 with 150 RWHP is doable and quite a potent weapon ;)

I'm. Not sure, if the valves don't float, and the head can maintain volumetric efficiency at high rpms it should work. That said I think I'd just buy an R1 motor and make it fit.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Anyone know what needs to be done to a 06 FZ1 engine to make it as fast as its twin the R1??
thanks, steve.

A FZ1 with the "full mod package" will make more power than a stock R1 throughout all but the highest portion of its rev range. The path is laid out for you here and on the other FZ1 site. Do some searching and reading.
Here's a good thread to get you started: Full Yosh system tested-dyno charts - FZ1OA Message Board

The R1 powerplant is setup to be biased to top end power. This means that some bottom end power is sacrificed for power at the top. The bike is lighter (than the FZ) to begin with as well. In the end you may well not want that "powerful" engine in your FZ1 unless you want to keep revs up. Not sure where you live but most around town riding is not comfortably done at 10K+ rpms.
Regardless, have fun!

I find a good imagination helps. My Gen 1 is faster than a ZX-14 when I am out riding by myself. Can't seem to duplicate this when I'm riding with one, though:rofl:

Back