FZ1-Ducati MTS comparison

3B43

About two weeks above, I posted that I was selling my nicely equipped 08 FZ (Ohlin, Russell seat, Givi V35, SS lines, etc) and buying a Ducati MTS. I would have looked at a Tuono, but lack of wind protection + hard bags put me off. My FZ went to a good friend and I picked up the MTS on Aug 24th. The odometer now says 1864, so I've put some miles on it in 7 days (trip into the Sierra's + Hwy 36/299). Anyway.......

Duc 'feels' about 75-100 lbs lighter when you sit on it and that much when you ride it.....even though it weighs the same. Lower CG. It steers/flicks like an angel, again much lighter then the FZ. With the bars higher/wider, it's more comfortable on my injuried right wrist. Ridding the bike out/back Hwy 36, I can ride it faster, with less effort then the FZ...it instills confidence! Its like it beckons you to ride it FAST! Telling you 'faster, Faster, FASTER!!!!' not exactly a good thing on the street (Hellgate, I bet the Touno says the same thing, doesn't it). The brakes are simply stunning. With they MAJOR difference being 'feel & feedback'.

Motor: my first twin...it pops wheelies in 2nd & 3rd gear just by popping the throttle! FUN! Gas mileage was better then the FZ (ridden the same way), but that is probably due to the motor spinning about 1000 less rpm at the same speed.

Down Side: fueling below 3000-3500 sucks, with it stumbling like the FZ(yup, emission crap!!!). There are several fixes, which I'm looking into. Windscreen SUCKS, with a lot of wind noise and buffeting. Pages on the forums on how to fix it, again, which I'm looking into.

Is it worth the $$$? To me, yup,

Oh good Lord!!!! I've had the police remind me that 84 in a 60 in not a good thing. I talked my way out. :)

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

I had a try ride with the first edition of Multistrada (equipped with Ohlins front & back) in 2003 and I felt the same. It curved the curves like a brush in a painting picture, simply a pleasure.
Unfortunately, I didn't like the price (very high indeed), the air cooled engine (performances good, right torque at right regime), the expensive maintenance and at last the esthetics (ugly head-on).
The new edition corrected many of these issues (except the price, although it worths).
How much does it cost in the US ?

Last edited:
About two weeks above, I posted that I was selling my nicely equipped 08 FZ (Ohlin, Russell seat, Givi V35, SS lines, etc) and buying a Ducati MTS. I would have looked at a Tuono, but lack of wind protection + hard bags put me off. My FZ went to a good friend and I picked up the MTS on Aug 24th. The odometer now says 1864, so I've put some miles on it in 7 days (trip into the Sierra's + Hwy 36/299). Anyway.......

Duc 'feels' about 75-100 lbs lighter when you sit on it and that much when you ride it.....even though it weighs the same. Lower CG. It steers/flicks like an angel, again much lighter then the FZ. With the bars higher/wider, it's more comfortable on my injuried right wrist. Ridding the bike out/back Hwy 36, I can ride it faster, with less effort then the FZ...it instills confidence! Its like it beckons you to ride it FAST! Telling you 'faster, Faster, FASTER!!!!' not exactly a good thing on the street (Hellgate, I bet the Touno says the same thing, doesn't it). The brakes are simply stunning. With they MAJOR difference being 'feel & feedback'.

Motor: my first twin...it pops wheelies in 2nd & 3rd gear just by popping the throttle! FUN! Gas mileage was better then the FZ (ridden the same way), but that is probably due to the motor spinning about 1000 less rpm at the same speed.

Down Side: fueling below 3000-3500 sucks, with it stumbling like the FZ(yup, emission crap!!!). There are several fixes, which I'm looking into. Windscreen SUCKS, with a lot of wind noise and buffeting. Pages on the forums on how to fix it, again, which I'm looking into.

the ms is a far superior bike, its basically the best duc they ever made. fixes for that stuttering crap which all bikes have especially ducati's, flash the ecu, power commander with o2 simulators = done deal

You didn't say how much$ :) Is the tank plastic? If so I hope it doesn't "melt" with ethanolated gas like my buddies sport classic. Too bad Ducati's idea of a fix is to give you larger pucks to hold the expanding gas tank in place. . .

PS: sorry, just giving you some s*** for posting this on FZ1 site. Hope you enjoy your new bike.

Last edited:
I'm posting a comparison because I was asked too by several members. Yeah the fueling issue is a bunch of BS (no, I don't blame Ducati, but our ridiculous EPA, who write the ridiculous emission laws!!!) and can be fixed....it's just that we HAVE too.

My FZ is a hell'eva bike! I rode it over to my friends house yesterday and delivered it and will miss her. Its smooth as glass, comfortable, etc, but not the MTS. I digress here, but this is an interesting story: he came over and gave me 2/3 of the $$$ for the bike and asked me if it was ok to leave the bike I my garage, as he was going camping in 2 days---no problem. He calls me the next day and tells me he hit a deer on the way home, on his old bike, and then says, 'I'm glad I didn't pick ur bike up'. Injuries: broken right arm, puncture lung and numerous LARGE contusions all over his body! His old bike was totaled.

You still didn't say how much$ . . .New ones are around $20k?? I have about $7500 total into my GenII, purchased for $3400 with about $4k in upgrades (see my signature). It is certainly a different bike than a Multistrada. It would probably compare favorably to one in many respects. . . .

Last edited:
I paid $8400 OTD for my '08 in Nov 09. Add in the Ohlin (on sale for $970), Russell seat, Givi V35 + a host of other stuff (SS lines, levers, etc) and I've got $XXXXX in it. The MTS OTD price was $22,795 and I paid $21,500. Ducati has special financing, between .9 & 1.74%.....Which closed the deal for me. Big difference in financing charge betwee. .9% and 7-9%.

Well the price is certainly in a whole 'nother galaxy. Same is true with the new Tuono. This is certainly a MAJOR factor in any comparisoin . . .I personally don't think I could rationalize the 3x the cost for the gains (probably some losses too) but then again I never buy new.

I had a duc as my last bike. Never again! The last 2 summers it went to the dealer for.shifter repairs. Same thing 2x. Had nothing but trouble with it. Lost almost the whole summer both times waiting on parts that someone apparently brought over on a row boat with how long they took.

To fix the low end throttle get a PCV and Auto tune.
You won't believe the difference.
As for the money you spent on the Duc OK it cost a lot more than the FZ and the FZ is a great bike but it's good to have a change from Japanese bikes. :yes:

Back