FZ1 clutch and engine damage after burnout?

Hello to everyone!
First of all, I apologize for my bad English.
Couple of days ago me and my friend did something stupid. I gave him a bike (FZ1n 2012 with 6000 miles) and he tried to burnout for about 1 min. At he firts gear about at 10-12 rpm nothing happened. After this my clutch lever became tight and when i put 1, 2, 3,4,or 5 gears its all the same like its on neutral... :( The strange thing is also is the bike wont start without giving a gas and the idle rpm si about 0.8 rpm, usually its 1200. and the oil became dark...
Is it possible that the engine is damaged? I have the bike under warranty, will they fixit? It is quit strange that the clutch and engine whent dark after 1 min of burnout tryout.
Thank you.

Sounds like something is broken. Maybe the clutch burned up and is sticking. I doubt the dealer will fix it, chances are they will know it was beat on.

I've never done a burnout on my fz but it should have no issues doing one, however you really can't shift thru gears and should stay off the limiter. Or better yet not do burnouts at all.
I had a buddy take a fresh rebuilt trans out of a car shifting thru gears doing burnouts...

Clutch is probably binding engine. Normally with a good clutch even in neutral with the rear tire off the ground the tire will spin. It doesn't take anything to stop it. Yours probably isn't letting go of the clutch plates and bogging down the engine. Time to look at a slipper clutch.

Tough way to get welcomed onto the Forum but just consider it a lesson learned. I agree with Ballmead. I'd say without a doubt you'll be replacing the clutch on your ride. I don't believe that you've damaged anything internal in the motor but I wouldn't spend time trying to start it in case anything is broken in the clutch area as you don't want any debris getting thrown around in the engine case. Drain the oil and remove the clutch cover to inspect the clutch. Take pictures too as it may help someone down the road. Oh, and no more burnouts! Let us know what you find when you crack it open.

Most likely a burned up clutch. If you and your friend plan on continuing that kind of abuse, bet stronger springs for the clutch when you rebuild it. Unless the steels are warped or have hot spots on them you should only need new friction plates.

Tough way to get welcomed onto the Forum but just consider it a lesson learned. I agree with Ballmead. I'd say without a doubt you'll be replacing the clutch on your ride. I don't believe that you've damaged anything internal in the motor but I wouldn't spend time trying to start it in case anything is broken in the clutch area as you don't want any debris getting thrown around in the engine case. Drain the oil and remove the clutch cover to inspect the clutch. Take pictures too as it may help someone down the road. Oh, and no more burnouts! Let us know what you find when you crack it open.

Its sure was a good lesson. Thanks to everyone i will update the situation.

Had a similar issue after my bikes 1st good burnout. We bump started it and it ran fine but wouldn't shift with the clutch so rode it for several minutes then dip shifted up the gears and blipped down several times and the clutch worked itself free. Then, was able to engage and disengage the clutch normally. Just seemed to be stuck. That was around 20,000km ago and still running strong.
May want to put it on the rear/centre stand and check to see if the engine is running normally.

Just like everyone else, sounds like the oil is full of the clutch material. It's not to hard to drain the oil and take the case off to look at the basket though. That would be my first step. Then take the plates out and measure if they look okay, otherwise they may look burnt, just replace em. ;)

Back