FZ1 and GSXR 600 power delivery

I have my FZ1 set up for touring, but am thinking of adding a smaller bike. Right now, I'm leaning towards the GSXR--egads! The r6, and zx6 just don't fit me well and the Honda CBR600 is just too expensive in my market area. Also, I'm finding very good deals on used GSXR's and the sv650 in my area.

Anyone out there ridden them both. How does the power and power delivery compare between the FZ and the GSXR?

Last edited:
I owned an '08 CBR600RR just before getting my '08 FZ1, so I have a pretty good idea how they feel for comparison.

Actually, the FZ1 has a very "600 like" powerband, and delivery, just sorta on steroids.

My FZ1 feels like taking my CBR and making it a lot more powerful, as compared to the '06 GSX-R1000 I also owned recently, which felt like it wanted to throw you to the moon at the slightest provocation, lol.

Anyway, you'd feel good on a modern hypersport 600; it would feel similar to your FZ1, just lighter and less power, but similar delivery. You'd like the handling a lot.

SV650 entirely different, much more midrange oriented, would feel considerably different than the FZ IMO. If you like the FZ1, I'd go with something like the GSX-R600 over the SV.

Anyway, that's one opinion.

During the past 3 years i have owned 06 GSXR600, 07 GSXR750, 08 R1, and now 09 FZ1.

The GSXR is a very comfortable bike and has good power. Very similar power delivery but much lighter and good fun. The SV650 is a waste of money and i wouldnt consider one. They are cheap for a reason.

The GSXR750 is a great bike, it has plenty of power and you can ride it hard or just cruise around on it. The 600 and 750 are fun bikes because you can use bthe gearing to have plenty of fun on the twisty roads.

Better than the 1000cc's which are great from 200-300kms, but as for slow twisty's, i'd much rather a 600.

Before I picked up my FZ1 I had a 07 GSXR 600. I really liked the Gixxer but my bad back was killing me! One ride on the FZ and I had to have it. Performance wise they are actually very close in stock trim. However once you uncork the FZ it's game over. I do miss the Gixxer when I am on the dragon but every where else the FZ is the way to go.

Last edited:
Owned an 02 sv650 and it is a GREAT bike. Especially if you don't expect going above 110 very much. Lots of low end to mid power. High end it lacks but it is a fantastic bike! Very nimble and you can easily throw it into a corner. You can also do so many things with the SV it's insane! Any look you want and it wont take as much as the other bikes. One of the best bikes I have owned! This fz1 is #1 in my book though ;)

750?

Thanks guys. I test-rode a gsx-r600 today and really liked it. No way would I consider the lesser powered/handling sv650. The gsxr really handles well, really well. I found myself having to adjust my line midway through the corner because the bike was so easy to turn. The power band is similar to the FZ, but shifting the power curve up 3K more revs. The brakes are really good, better than the FZ, but it is a smaller bike--the brakes have better bite and a bit better feel when modulating, but the fz is no slouch! I found trail braking quite a bit easier on the 600, but I don't know why.

Now do I consider the 750?

I went out shopping today and found a new 2007 SV1000--actually two, one on the floor the other in the crate--at a nearby dealer. $6499 OTD with 1.99% financing. Decisions, decisions...

Back