Fz1 a good first ride?

I started out with a used FZ6 and loved it. I have dropped it a couple times both when standing still, it happens. When I started riding I wasn't used to the power of a 600cc so the thought of getting something bigger just didn't make sense to me. I also had a boost of confidence in my riding once I took a safety course and learned how to use the controls and maneuver the bike around. I can say that once I got into my first accident everything I learned paid off and what could have been turned into a knee injury that I can live with.

No Way!!

Ive owned 6 bikes at the age of 23. The FZ1 is no joke! The throttle response alone will freak out a newbie rider. The FZ1 will wheelie on its own in 1st gear at WOT(Wide Open Throttle) somewhere around 7500 to 9000 rpm. Go for the 600 For the first bike!

Taking the 2 day course starting Tuesday. I'll have my license then.
Getting excited to ride the beautiful twisty roads of Washington state!

If your ridercoaches are any good, they will talk about what bike you should start on.. they will end up telling you the same thing you've gotten from us. 1000cc sport bike is too much to start on.

Have fun in BRC!

Great example of skill being more important than the size of the bike:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9eqD4qP-Mw]Kawasaki NINJA 250R VERSUS Ducati 999 Superbike (250cc VS 1000cc) - YouTube[/ame]

I say its still kinda big for a first bike but you could look into an FZ8 if you insist on buying a new(er) bike. Its got manageable power, and is lighter than the fz1 and quite frankly I have just as much or more fun on her 8 than I do on my 1000

if you do any city or even town riding i would say no around town i have a heck of alot more fun on my helix 250 than i do on my fz1 mostly cause i have crashed it so many times it looks like an zombie flix bike. but i also ride my helix year round and can ride circles aound the squids puttering around town on their supersports. that being said i will rarely ride my helix outside of town it just sucks going that fast on tiny wheels.
i say go smaller get a cheap one then show off to the squids the lack of chicken strips on your "less capable bike" when their tyres are squared off.

I wouldn't suggest FZ1 as a first bike. Unless you're extremely gifted on the gas and clutch relationships you'll loose control.

I owned a FZ6. I wouldn't call it a good first bike, either. IMHO both bikes handle about the same, but FZ6 has a trick clutch. Both have beaucoup de hp although a rider runs higher rpm's with the FZ6.

Keep this in mind, you'll be OK with your FZ6.

BTW 26k miles is nothing on these bikes.

Later. Enjoy your purchase and the club!!!!!

Made my purchase. Bought the fz6. 3g's. It'll be delivered tomorrow, seeing as I don't have my license. It'll be more rewarding finishing the class on wednesday knowing that I'll have a classy bike waiting for me when I get home. Already picked up my helmet, gloves and jacket at the motorcycle superstore.
Thanks again for the info guys!

Here's a pic of the FZ6 I bought. Already changed the oil and lubed the chain. Tommorrow I'll get my endorsement and It's off to the open roads!
Thanks again for the helpful info guys!

I have a 2003 FZ1 that I bought earlier this month. It's my second bike. The first was a (1997 FZR600R). If I had gotten this bike first I might not be writing this right now. I took the riders safety course and still dropped the FZR twice due to minor errors. Low speed and wearing the propped protective gear I just got back on and rode away slightly embarrassed. But with the amount of power the FZ1 has available at the twist of the wrist, those minor errors could have easily been more serious. Not to mention the times that I didn't go down. I'm 6ft 3 and about 225 lbs. so I'm sure I looked large on the FZR, but the two years I rode it taught me a lot!!! Good luck with whatever choice you make.

It's my first bike

I take it above 5,000rpm once and awhile, but if your as conservative as I am, you can stay out of trouble.

Mine was a used Red 2008 with 2890 on the odometer and $500k in cool stuff. I am the 3rd owner.

It really is another bike above 7k rpm.

Heatmiser, thats a good lookin bike and sounds like you got a pretty good deal on it. And from the sound of it congratulations are in order, you got your cycle license! Way to go and welcome to the club! I'm a fairly new rider myself. I've ridden 4-wheelers offroad for years but had no experience on a street bike. I started May 2011 when I bought my Can Am Spyder. Just to gain some self confidence in riding in this horrible San Antonio traffic. These cagers here rarely look out for cycles so it can be a little nerve racking sometimes. I got to ride my nephew's '03 FZ1 and his dad's Ninja 650. The Ninja was a lot lighter and a blast to ride but I wanted a bike that I can travel on and ride 2-up without any problems with power. I read alot about the FZ1 (including stalking this forum) and found my '06 at a good price and bought it back in April. I love this bike!!! BUT....... I am very respectful of the throttle. Don't get me wrong, I'll twist it a little harder than I should on occasion but I don't want to ever pull the front wheel off the ground!!! Happy wheeling!!!

i'm local, had an fz6 before too, great little bike, i ride daily, hit me up if you wanna go anywhere and yes we'll be taking it easy. there's a couple other local fellas too. also, a good source for local info is pnwriders.com . what kinda gear did you pick up? best place to learn how to ride a bike is at the track, literally not joking. you can do a lil thing called Taste of Racing during the next WMRRA round for 20 bucks, gets you 20 minutes around the track guided by instructors, or OPRT is doing a similar thing at their next track day in shelton on the 27th, same deal. msg me up for more info.

Back